Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Is there any type of Spyware that infects Linux?

This is the place for general discussions - we are a family site - no bad language, no flames.
A Moderators word is final.

Unread postby P;3 » March 11th, 2007, 4:41 pm

Alphalutra1 wrote:I am sorry, but something trying to give a virus (an executable that does harmful things to a computer) is not the same as someone trying to run an exploit on a piece of software and gain shell access through that exploit. You guys still haven't given me the virus or spyware example. I also find it hard to believe that there are linux botnets attacking ChrisRLG's computers, but of course there must be "lots" and so many, that he cannot reply and defend his incorrect statements.

Also, @ p;3, the machine doesn't need any protection. It needs the user to always log in as a user, have a good password for the root accout and their account. Also, don't' install stuff you don't need, and if you don't need SSH, turn it off. Also, stay current (or with the updated branch of your OS such as stable). Installing stuff only from repositories is also a good idea

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

THIS I find very difficult to beleive although I am hoping that someone from within the Uni will advise

and actually MY comment was for Person, whose thread this really IS

person; one assumes the machine in question does have protection on it? if so, what has been chosen? or is there an issue with it that it might BE infected?

:?:
P;3

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby ndmmxiaomayi » March 12th, 2007, 4:25 am

I also find it hard to believe that there are linux botnets attacking ChrisRLG's computers, but of course there must be "lots" and so many, that he cannot reply and defend his incorrect statements.

Maybe not in UK, but right here in Singapore, at one time we had 2 botnets, huge ones, attacked an Australian university. The majority of the bots are from Singapore, and the rest are from the other parts of the world.

In total, the total estimated number of bots that these 2 botnets had was 500,000, enough to DoS a server given enough time.

Although there are Windows machines on these botnets, Linux machines are far more common, on the believe that they are more secure. No elevated access needed, no exploits was ran. The machines are just being taken over, without the users knowing. One thing they had in common - their system was never patched.

That was 4 years ago.
ndmmxiaomayi
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby Alphalutra1 » March 12th, 2007, 2:53 pm

Oh really, linux computers on the botnet. So, how did you know they were linux computers :roll: . Let me guess, you didn't.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1
Alphalutra1
Banned Member

Unread postby ChrisRLG » March 12th, 2007, 4:02 pm

Alphalutra1

We do when we get reports back from the hosting admins to say those linux servers have been cleaned - happens ALL the time.

Afraid to say - unless you have been on the reciving end of attacks and are able to analyse the machines you have been attacked with you would not know.

We have.

We have some 8 people now doing such reports to the hosting companies (24 x 7) - almost 95 % are Linux.
ChrisRLG
Administrator Emeritus

Unread postby Alphalutra1 » March 12th, 2007, 6:41 pm

So, what was the infection. I know there are "lots" of spyware and viruses, so please just name one of the types of infection that was the cause for the trouble.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1
Alphalutra1
Banned Member

Unread postby ChrisRLG » March 12th, 2007, 6:45 pm

We do not have access to the boxes - just logs of the attack scripts they fire at us.

They show numerious exploit code that is being attempted to hit us with - we can assume that it would be that exploit that they are infected with, but cannot be sure 100%

But I think this discussion has gone on long enough - you are obviously not willing to accept anything we are saying.
ChrisRLG
Administrator Emeritus

Unread postby Alphalutra1 » March 12th, 2007, 6:56 pm

I am willing to accept that they can be exploited, but the sure don't have spyware and viruses, like you originally claimed. So yes, stop spreading FUD that linux has "lots" of spyware. Because guess what, it doesn't.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1
Alphalutra1
Banned Member

Unread postby ndmmxiaomayi » March 13th, 2007, 12:51 am

Oh really, linux computers on the botnet. So, how did you know they were linux computers

If you actually bother to find out how big Singapore is, you will know how I knew they were on Linux.

And Australia isn't very far from where I stay.

I am willing to accept that they can be exploited, but the sure don't have spyware and viruses, like you originally claimed.

I'm pretty sure that they have. Just that they aren't so common.
ndmmxiaomayi
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby Orac » March 13th, 2007, 8:01 am

Alphalutra1, If Linux is so secure can you please explain why companies such as Kaspersky provide Anti-Virius software for Linux.

I know of 15 different AV providers for Linux. Do you think their using their resources developing AV products becouse their are no Linux based threats ??
Orac
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby wng_z3r0 » March 13th, 2007, 9:40 am

This topic has the classic look of a troller. We have answered the original poster's question. The troller has then argued with the most idiotic, but short, mesages, designed to make us mad and waste our time.

Please take your rants elsewhere Alphalutra1. As ChrisRLG said:

But I think this discussion has gone on long enough - you are obviously not willing to accept anything we are saying.

wng
wng_z3r0
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Previous

Return to General Discussions