Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

'annoying pop ups;think I am infected'

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Unread postby Chloe Pessoa » December 31st, 2006, 5:53 pm

Curlylad

You are wonderful!!!! I have not had any pop ups for 24 hours!!!
I cannot believe it - thank you ever so much - I have been round the houses and back - gosh!!! I feel like the biggest load has been lifted off my shoulders - Your teacher/lecturer should be really really proud of you - and thanks to all at Malware Removal and Happy New Year! Yippeeee
Chloe
Chloe Pessoa

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby curlylad » December 31st, 2006, 6:17 pm

Chloe Pessoa

Please stay with me on this.
Although we have done a lot of work here there are still some more things to do, some more loose ends to tie up before we are finished. ;)

I will post back your next instructions as soon as I can. :)

In the mean time may I take this opportunity to wish you a very happy and prosperous New Year 8)
curlylad
Retired Graduate

Unread postby curlylad » December 31st, 2006, 7:54 pm

Chloe Pessoa

The instructions that I have provided in this thread are specific to one system, that is the sytem that the original HijackThis log was created on.

Please make sure that all the instructions that I provide are carried out on the original system only.
Also please make sure that you disconnect from any network that you are connected to immediately and do not reconnect until I give you the all clear.

When I have given the all clear I would then like you to start a new thread with a fresh log from the second system, until I do give you the all clear please only post results on this thread relating to the original system.

Your next instructions will follow shortly.
curlylad
Retired Graduate

Unread postby Chloe Pessoa » January 1st, 2007, 7:32 am

OK,

I am sorry if I tried to confuse me as I am not very good with computers and will only tell you about my computer until you tell me different. But tis still good not to have those pop ups!!!!

Regards and Hope the New Year brings you Joy and Happiness
Chloe Pessoa

Unread postby curlylad » January 2nd, 2007, 2:44 pm

Hi Chloe Pessoa

OK when we have finished here start a new thread with a fresh HijackThis log for the other system and myself or one of the other helpers will gladly take a look at it for you. :)

As for this problem we still have a little work to do, just a few loose ends to tie up so please stay with me.

NEXT INSTRUCTIONS

* Make sure that you are disconnected from any network before continuing.

* Now I would like a fresh HijackThis log from you and please tell me also if you are experiencing any problems at all, have the pop ups gone completely, is the system running OK ?
curlylad
Retired Graduate

Unread postby Chloe Pessoa » January 2nd, 2007, 6:31 pm

As requested new HijackTHis Log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 22:25:16, on 02/01/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.5730.0011)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AppCore\AppSvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\slserv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\browser\ybrwicon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\browser\ycommon.exe
C:\Program Files\btbb_wcm\McciTrayApp.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\BTHOME~1\Help\SMARTB~1\BTHelpNotifier.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\YOP\yop.exe
C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe
C:\Program Files\PowerISO\PWRISOVM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\eBay\eBay Toolbar2\eBayTBDaemon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Sony\SONICS~1\SsAAD.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony Handheld\HOTSYNC.EXE
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpohmr08.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpotdd01.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\YOP\secstat.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpoevm08.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\Bin\hpoSTS08.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Motive\ASSTCO~1\MOTIVE~1.EXE
C:\Program Files\BT Home Hub\Help\bin\BTHelp.exe
C:\Program Files\BT Home Hub\Help\bin\mpbtn.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\ypager.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,First Home Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54843
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn1\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {1E8A6170-7264-4D0F-BEAE-D42A53123C75} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\coShared\Browser\1.0\NppBho.dll
O2 - BHO: eBay Toolbar Helper - {22D8E815-4A5E-4DFB-845E-AAB64207F5BD} - C:\Program Files\eBay\eBay Toolbar2\eBayTB.dll
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! IE Services Button - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: SidebarAutoLaunch Class - {F2AA9440-6328-4933-B7C9-A6CCDF9CBF6D} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\YSidebarIEBHO.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn1\yt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: eBay Toolbar - {92085AD4-F48A-450D-BD93-B28CC7DF67CE} - C:\Program Files\eBay\eBay Toolbar2\eBayTB.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Show Norton Toolbar - {90222687-F593-4738-B738-FBEE9C7B26DF} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\coShared\Browser\1.0\UIBHO.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [YBrowser] C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\browser\ybrwicon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [btbb_wcm_McciTrayApp] C:\Program Files\btbb_wcm\McciTrayApp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Motive SmartBridge] C:\PROGRA~1\BTHOME~1\Help\SMARTB~1\BTHelpNotifier.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [YOP] C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\YOP\yop.exe /autostart
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PWRISOVM.EXE] C:\Program Files\PowerISO\PWRISOVM.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [My Web Search Bar] rundll32 C:\PROGRA~1\MYWEBS~1\bar\1.bin\MWSBAR.DLL,S
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [eBayToolbar] C:\Program Files\eBay\eBay Toolbar2\eBayTBDaemon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AttuneClientEngine] C:\PROGRA~1\Aveo\Attune\bin\attune_ce.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Photo Downloader] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Album Starter Edition\3.0\Apps\apdproxy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [osCheck] "C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\osCheck.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!AVG Anti-Spyware] "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe" /minimized
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\ypager.exe -quiet
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SsAAD.exe] C:\PROGRA~1\Sony\SONICS~1\SsAAD.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Spyware Doctor] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe" /Q
O4 - Global Startup: BT Broadband Desktop Help.lnk = C:\Program Files\BT Home Hub\Help\bin\matcli.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HotSync Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\Sony Handheld\HOTSYNC.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: hp psc 1000 series.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: hpoddt01.exe.lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: &eBay Search - res://C:\Program Files\eBay\eBay Toolbar2\eBayTb.dll/RCSearch.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: BT Yahoo! Services - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/Shar ... /cabsa.cab
O18 - Protocol: livecall - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe" /h ccCommon (file missing)
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe" /h ccCommon (file missing)
O23 - Service: Symantec Lic NetConnect service (CLTNetCnService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe" /h ccCommon (file missing)
O23 - Service: COM Host (comHost) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VAScanner\comHost.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1150\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec IS Password Validation (ISPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\isPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: MSCSPTISRV - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\MSCSPTISRV.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: PACSPTISVR - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\PACSPTISVR.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: SmartLinkService (SLService) - - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\slserv.exe
O23 - Service: Sony SPTI Service (SPTISRV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SPTISRV.exe
O23 - Service: SonicStage SCSI Service (SSScsiSV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SSScsiSV.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AppCore Service (SymAppCore) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AppCore\AppSvc32.exe
O23 - Service: YPCService - Yahoo! Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\YPCSER~1.EXE
Chloe Pessoa

Unread postby Chloe Pessoa » January 2nd, 2007, 6:40 pm

No more pop ups

Computer fine except

1. It says on start up something about RUNDLL cannot be found - I press OK and it logs on ok.

2. Microsoft Office Word is not working properly (has been for a while as far as I can remember) it will not allow me to use the drop down arrow when trying to save documents, if I want to save I have to click the documents icon at the side - if not computer will freeze and come up with 'non responding' and a box to send report to Microsoft, have done on several occasions but it just doesnt work - but I can live with that - but cannot cope with the pop ups - BUT THEY ARE NOT COMING UP OR AT LEAST NOT SINCE I LAST DID THAT CLEAN YOU TOLD ME TO DO.
Thank you.
Chloe Pessoa

Unread postby curlylad » January 3rd, 2007, 7:28 pm

Good evening Chloe Pessoa

1. It says on start up something about RUNDLL cannot be found - I press OK and it logs on ok.

I would like you to post back with the exact error message that appears.

2. Microsoft Office Word is not working properly

To solve this problem I suggest you try one of these links all of which contain information regarding isues with Microsoft Word.

http://aumha.net/index.php

http://www.personal-computer-tutor.com/NNTWord.htm

http://wordprocessing.about.com/od/troubleshootin1/

http://search.microsoft.com/results.asp ... FORM=QBME1

OK now to the rest of the fix

STEP 1

Update Java

You are using an old version of Java. Sun's Java is sometimes updated in order to eliminate the exploitation of perceived vulnerabilities in an existing version. For this reason, it's extremely important that you keep the program up to date, and also remove the older more vulnerable versions from your system. The most current version of Sun Java is: Java Runtime Environment Version 5.0 Update 10 .

To check your version to see if it is the latest version, Please go to this link to verify your version to get the updates needed:

You'll need to use IE and allow ActiveX for this update. Follow the instructions on that page to verify Your Java software.

Or you can get the manual download here:

Once you have installed the latest update, please go to Add/Remove Programs and remove all older instances of Java listed there.

STEP 2

End Process
  • Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete at the same time
  • The Task Manager now opens
  • Click the Processes tab
  • Click the Image Name heading to alphabetically arrange the running processes
  • Find the entry attune_ce.exe, click it and then click the End Process button
  • Exit Task Manager.

STEP 3

Remove Programs
  • Next I would like you to go to Add/Remove Programs.
  • Find the entry My Web Search Bar
  • Click the entry to highlight it and click the Change/Remove button
  • Follow the on screen prompts to remove the program.

STEP 4

Use HijackThis
  • Open HijackThis
  • Click the button Do a system scan only
  • When the list has generated place a tick or check mark next to the following entries highlighted below

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [My Web Search Bar] rundll32 C:\PROGRA~1\MYWEBS~1\bar\1.bin\MWSBAR.DLL,S
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AttuneClientEngine] C:\PROGRA~1\Aveo\Attune\bin\attune_ce.exe

• Click the Fix Checked button
  • Close HijackThis.

STEP 5

Reboot into Safe Mode
  • Click 'Start'
  • Click 'Turn Off Computer'
  • Click 'Restart'
  • As the system starts to reboot tap the 'F8' key
  • A list of Advanced Options should now be visible , highlight 'Safe Mode' using the keyboard arrow buttons and click the 'Enter' button
  • The system should now start in Safe Mode.

STEP 6

Delete Folders

To navigate to the folders/files follow this instruction
  • Click My Computer, double click C Drive
  • Double click Program Files
  • Find the Folder MYWEBSEARCH, right click it and select Delete
  • Find the Folder Aveo, right click it and select Delete.
NOTE - If you receive an error message, right click the folder, choose Properties and check if the Read only attribute box is checked.If it is uncheck it and try the procedure again.

Please now reboot your system

STEP 7

Online Scan

Please go HERE to run PandaActiveScan...

• Once you are on the Panda site click the Scan your PC button
  • A new window will open...click the Check Now button
  • Enter your Country
  • Enter your State/Province
  • Enter your e-mail address and click send
  • Select either Home User or Company
  • Click the big Scan Now button
  • If it wants to install an ActiveX component allow it
  • It will start downloading the files it requires for the scan (Note: It may take a couple of minutes)

• When download is complete, click on My Computer to start the scan
  • When the scan completes, if anything malicious is detected, click the See Report button, then Save Report and save it to your desktop.

STEP 8

Report Back
  • Please post back the Panda Active Scan Report
  • A fresh HijackThis log
  • The exact RUNDLL message you have been receiving on startup.

I will review the new information and reply as soon as posiible with any further necessary instructions
curlylad
Retired Graduate

Unread postby Chloe Pessoa » January 4th, 2007, 5:22 pm

Hi Curlylad

As requested:

Incident Status Location

Potentially unwanted tool:application/mywebsearch Not disinfected c:\windows\system32\f3PSSavr.scr
Potentially unwanted tool:application/funweb Not disinfected hkey_classes_root\clsid\{00A6FAF6-072E-44cf-8957-5838F569A31D}
Spyware:Cookie/did-it Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\User\Cookies\user@did-it[1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/2o7 Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@112.2o7[1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/2o7 Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@2o7[2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Adtech Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@adtech[2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Advertising Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@advertising[1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Adviva Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@adviva[1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Atlas DMT Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@atdmt[2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Com.com Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@com[1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Doubleclick Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@doubleclick[1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Hitbox Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@hitbox[2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Overture Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@overture[1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/QuestionMarket Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@questionmarket[2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Serving-sys Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@serving-sys[2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/WebtrendsLive Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@statse.webtrendslive[1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Tradedoubler Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@tradedoubler[2].txt
Potentially unwanted tool:Application/Processor Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Desktop\SmitfraudFix\Process.exe
Scan saved at 21:16:23, on 04/01/2007

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\jusched.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\ymsgr_tray.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\ybrowser.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,First Home Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54843
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn1\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {1E8A6170-7264-4D0F-BEAE-D42A53123C75} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\coShared\Browser\1.0\NppBho.dll
O2 - BHO: eBay Toolbar Helper - {22D8E815-4A5E-4DFB-845E-AAB64207F5BD} - C:\Program Files\eBay\eBay Toolbar2\eBayTB.dll
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! IE Services Button - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: SidebarAutoLaunch Class - {F2AA9440-6328-4933-B7C9-A6CCDF9CBF6D} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\YSidebarIEBHO.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn1\yt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: eBay Toolbar - {92085AD4-F48A-450D-BD93-B28CC7DF67CE} - C:\Program Files\eBay\eBay Toolbar2\eBayTB.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Show Norton Toolbar - {90222687-F593-4738-B738-FBEE9C7B26DF} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\coShared\Browser\1.0\UIBHO.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [btbb_wcm_McciTrayApp] C:\Program Files\btbb_wcm\McciTrayApp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Motive SmartBridge] C:\PROGRA~1\BTHOME~1\Help\SMARTB~1\BTHelpNotifier.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [eBayToolbar] C:\Program Files\eBay\eBay Toolbar2\eBayTBDaemon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Photo Downloader] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Album Starter Edition\3.0\Apps\apdproxy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [osCheck] "C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\osCheck.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!AVG Anti-Spyware] "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe" /minimized
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Spyware Doctor] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe" /Q
O4 - Global Startup: BT Broadband Desktop Help.lnk = C:\Program Files\BT Home Hub\Help\bin\matcli.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HotSync Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\Sony Handheld\HOTSYNC.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &eBay Search - res://C:\Program Files\eBay\eBay Toolbar2\eBayTb.dll/RCSearch.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\npjpi150_10.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\npjpi150_10.dll
O9 - Extra button: BT Yahoo! Services - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/Shar ... /cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoftware.com/activescan ... asinst.cab
O18 - Protocol: livecall - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe" /h ccCommon (file missing)
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe" /h ccCommon (file missing)
O23 - Service: Symantec Lic NetConnect service (CLTNetCnService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe" /h ccCommon (file missing)
O23 - Service: COM Host (comHost) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VAScanner\comHost.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1150\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec IS Password Validation (ISPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\isPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: MSCSPTISRV - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\MSCSPTISRV.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: PACSPTISVR - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\PACSPTISVR.exe
O23 - Service: Sony SPTI Service (SPTISRV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SPTISRV.exe
O23 - Service: SonicStage SCSI Service (SSScsiSV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SSScsiSV.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AppCore Service (SymAppCore) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AppCore\AppSvc32.exe

3. RUNDLL - Error Loading C:\Orogram~1\MYWEBS~1\bar\1.bin\MWSBAR.DLL - The specific module could not be found

NOTE: Computer now very slow in logging into anything
Chloe Pessoa

Unread postby Chloe Pessoa » January 4th, 2007, 5:23 pm

Sorry it should say C:\Program
Chloe Pessoa

Unread postby curlylad » January 5th, 2007, 3:18 pm

Hi Chloe Pessoa

I'm sorry this reply took a little while, just way too few hours in a day ! :roll:

Looks like we still have a few left overs to deal with here.

STEP 1

Back Up your System

We will be deleting a registry key so we need to make a backup.

Backup Your Registry with ERUNT

• Please use the following link and scroll down to ERUNT and download it.
    http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.php
  • For version with the Installer:
    Use the setup program to install ERUNT on your computer
  • For the zipped version:
    Unzip all the files into a folder of your choice.
Click Erunt.exe to backup your registry to the folder of your choice.

Note: to restore your registry, go to the folder and start ERDNT.exe

STEP 2

Use a Registry Fix

Next we need to use a registry fix to delete a left over key from the earlier fix.

To do that follow this instruction.

Copy/paste the following text into a new Notepad document. (You must use Notepad, NOT Wordpad). Make sure that you have NO blank lines at the beginning of the document before REGEDIT4, and ONE blank line at the end of the document as shown in the quoted text:

REGEDIT4

[-hkey_classes_root\clsid\{00A6FAF6-072E-44cf-8957-5838F569A31D}]

Save it to your desktop as Fixme.reg. Save it as follows...
File Type: "All Files" (not as a text document or it wont work).
Name: Fixme.reg

Locate Fixme.reg on your desktop and double-click it. When asked if you want to merge with the registry, click YES. Wait for the merged successfully prompt.

STEP 3

Reboot into Safe Mode
  • Click 'Start'
  • Click 'Turn Off Computer'
  • Click 'Restart'
  • As the system starts to reboot tap the 'F8' key
  • A list of Advanced Options should now be visible , highlight 'Safe Mode' using the keyboard arrow buttons and click the 'Enter' button
  • The system should now start in Safe Mode.

STEP 4

Clear out Junk

Navigate to C:\Windows\Temp
Click Edit, click Select All, press the DELETE key, and then click Yes to confirm that you want to send all the items to the Recycle Bin.

Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\(EVERY LISTED USER)\Local Settings\Temp
Click Edit, click Select All, press the DELETE key, and then click Yes to confirm that you want to send all the items to the Recycle Bin.

Clean out your Temporary Internet files. Proceed like this:

Quit Internet Explorer, all browsers and quit any instances of Windows Explorer.

For Internet Explorer 7
  • Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Internet Options.
  • On the General tab, click Delete... under Browsing History.
  • Next to Temporary Internet Files, click Delete files, and then click OK.
  • Next to Cookies, click Delete cookies, and then click OK.
  • Next to History, click Delete history, and then click OK.
  • Click the Close button.
  • Click OK.
For Internet Explorer 4.x - 6.x
  • Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Internet Options.
  • On the General tab, click Delete Files under Temporary Internet Files.
  • In the Delete Files dialog box, tick the Delete all offline content check box, and then click OK.
  • On the General tab, click Delete Cookies under Temporary Internet Files, and then click OK.
  • Click on the Programs tab then click the Reset Web Settings button. Click Apply then OK.
  • Click OK.
For Netscape 4.x and Up
  • Click Edit from the Netscape menubar.
  • Click Preferences... from the Edit menu.
  • Expand the Advanced menu by clicking the triangle sign.
  • Click Cache.
  • Click both the Clear Memory Cache and the Clear Disk Cache buttons.
For Mozilla 1.x and Up
  • Click Edit from the Mozilla menubar.
  • Click Preferences... from the Edit menu.
  • Expand the Advanced menu by clicking the plus sign.
  • Click Cache.
  • Click the Clear Cache button.
For Opera
  • Click File from the Opera menubar.
  • Click Preferences... from the File menu.
  • Click the History and Cache menu.
  • Click the two Clear buttons next to Typed in addresses and Visited addresses (history) and click the Empty now button to clear the Disk cache.
  • Click Ok to close the Preferences menu.
Next Click Start, click Control Panel and then double-click Display. Click on the Desktop tab, then click the Customize Desktop button. Click on the Web tab. Under Web Pages you should see a checked entry called Security info or something similar. If it is there, select that entry and click the Delete button. Click Ok then Apply and Ok.

Empty the Recycle Bin by right-clicking the Recycle Bin icon on your Desktop, and then clicking Empty Recycle Bin.

STEP 5

Delete Folders/Files
  • Click My Computer, double click C Drive
  • Double click WINDOWS Folder, double click the System32 Folder
  • Locate the File f3PSSavr.scr
  • Right click and choose Delete to delete the File.
  • Click the Back button until you get to the My Computer window
  • Double click C Drive, double click the Program Files Folder
  • Locate the Folder MyWebSearch
  • Right click and choose Delete to delete the Folder.
  • NOTE - If you receive an error message, right click the folder, choose Properties and check if the Read only attribute box is checked.If it is uncheck it and try the procedure again.

STEP 6

Run AVG Anti Spyware

In an eralier post we downloaded AVG Anti Spyware, we need to run this program again.

Close ALL open Windows / Programs / Folders. Please start AVG Anti-Spyware and run a full scan.
  • Click on Scanner on the toolbar.
  • Click on the Settings tab.
    • Under How to act?
      • Click on Recommended Action and choose Quarantine from the popup menu.
    • Under How to scan?
      • All checkboxes should be ticked.
    • Under Possibly unwanted software:
      • All checkboxes should be ticked.
    • Under Reports:
      • Select Automatically generate report after every scan and uncheck Only if threats were found.
    • Under What to scan?
      • Select Scan every file.
  • Click on the Scan tab.
  • Click on Complete System Scan to start the scan process.
  • Let the program scan the machine.
  • When the scan has finished, follow the instructions below.
    IMPORTANT : Don't click on the "Save Scan Report" button before you did hit the "Apply all Actions" button.
    • Make sure that Set all elements to: shows Quarantine (1), if not click on the link and choose Quarantine from the popup menu. (2)
    • At the bottom of the window click on the Apply all Actions button. (3)
  • When done, click the Save Scan Report button. (4)
    • Click the Save Report as button.
    • Save the report to your Desktop.
  • Right-click the AVG Anti-Spyware Tray Icon and select Exit. Confirm by clicking Yes.
Reboot in Normal Mode.

Please now reboot your system before continuing

STEP 7

Report Back
  • Please post back the AVG Anti Spyware Scan
  • A fresh HijackThis log
  • Please also tell me how the system is running now, have you had any more pop ups ?

I will review the new information and get back to you as soon as I can.
curlylad
Retired Graduate

Unread postby Chloe Pessoa » January 5th, 2007, 7:17 pm

Hi Curlylad,

Please dont hassle yourself - whenever you can - thank you - I will complete your instructions as soon as I can, as time is short for me also.
Regards
Chloe
Chloe Pessoa

Unread postby curlylad » January 5th, 2007, 7:28 pm

Thank you, it's just that I realise how important it is for folk to get their system back squeeky clean a.s.a.p so try my best to achieve this.

As soon as you answer I get notification of this so can get right on with an answer for you so whenever you post I'm ready ! ;)
curlylad
Retired Graduate

Unread postby Chloe Pessoa » January 7th, 2007, 3:13 pm

Hi Curlylad

Hope your weekend is good.

Report as follows:
---------------------------------------------------------
AVG Anti-Spyware - Scan Report
---------------------------------------------------------

+ Created at: 18:47:00 07/01/2007

+ Scan result:

C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@247realmedia[1].txt -> TrackingCookie.247realmedia : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@paypal.112.2o7[1].txt -> TrackingCookie.2o7 : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@adbrite[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Adbrite : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@adtech[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Adtech : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@advertising[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Advertising : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@atdmt[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Atdmt : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@www.burstnet[1].txt -> TrackingCookie.Burstnet : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@casalemedia[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Casalemedia : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@com[1].txt -> TrackingCookie.Com : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@doubleclick[1].txt -> TrackingCookie.Doubleclick : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@e-2dj6wgkoqocpoap.stats.esomniture[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Esomniture : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@fastclick[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Fastclick : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@media.fastclick[1].txt -> TrackingCookie.Fastclick : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@ehg-aha.hitbox[1].txt -> TrackingCookie.Hitbox : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@ehg-okini.hitbox[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Hitbox : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@ehg-organon.hitbox[1].txt -> TrackingCookie.Hitbox : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@hitbox[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Hitbox : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@questionmarket[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Questionmarket : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@serving-sys[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Serving-sys : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@statcounter[1].txt -> TrackingCookie.Statcounter : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@tacoda[1].txt -> TrackingCookie.Tacoda : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@tradedoubler[1].txt -> TrackingCookie.Tradedoubler : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@tribalfusion[1].txt -> TrackingCookie.Tribalfusion : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@statse.webtrendslive[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Webtrendslive : Cleaned.
C:\Documents and Settings\User.PB\Cookies\user@zedo[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Zedo : Cleaned.

::Report end

Scan saved at 19:08:52, on 07/01/2007

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\jusched.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\ymsgr_tray.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\ybrowser.exe

O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - Startup: ERUNT AutoBackup.lnk = C:\Program Files\ERUNT\AUTOBACK.EXE
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\npjpi150_10.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\npjpi150_10.dll
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoftware.com/activescan ... asinst.cab

Computer is still a bit odd, double click sometimes doesn't work.

Do you think I should take off Norton Internet Security 2007? I unnderstand its not good to have more than one running at the same time, and as Norton not doing anything too tough then perhaps its not needed, mind you it did a scan by itself yesterday and found one thing.

I tried the sites you suggested with regard to Word, tried instructions given by one but that didnt work - think I might have to take off Office and reinstall it.
Chloe Pessoa

Unread postby curlylad » January 8th, 2007, 1:39 pm

Hi Chloe Pessoa

Let's take a look at the points you made

Computer is still a bit odd, double click sometimes doesn't work.

There doesn't appear to be any malware left on your system so this could be the result of missing or corrupted files, we will address this in a moment.

Do you think I should take off Norton Internet Security 2007? I unnderstand its not good to have more than one running at the same time, and as Norton not doing anything too tough then perhaps its not needed, mind you it did a scan by itself yesterday and found one thing.

You are right it is not good to have 2 Anti Virus programs running on a system at the same time, however you do not appear to have 2 Anti Virus programs on your system.
It may be that you are mistaking your AVG Anti Spyware program for an Anti Virus program so I must assure you that the AVG program you have on your system is not an Anti Virus program.
If this is not the second Anti Virus program that you are refering to then please tell me what the other Anti Virus program is in your next reply.

I tried the sites you suggested with regard to Word, tried instructions given by one but that didnt work - think I might have to take off Office and reinstall it.

Yes I think the reinstallation of the program may solve the problem.

OK then here is what I need you to do

STEP 1

Uninstall/Re-install Microsoft Office Word
  • I need you to uninstall and then reinstall your Office program
  • When you have done that it may ask you to reboot your system, please do so even if it does not ask you to.

STEP 2

Address slow system

Please read through the following article carefully.
When you have finished reading the whole article, I would like you to follow the steps it outlines.
If you are unsure of any of the instructions then please post back here and I will go through it with you.

Here is the article

Computer and browser slowness are not always malware related. Poor performance can be the result of disk fragmentation, disk errors, corrupt system files, too many startup programs, unnecessary services running, not enough RAM, etc. As your system gets older it becomes filled with more files/programs and has a natural tendency to slow down so regular maintenance is essential. Here are a few things you can do to improve speed and system performance:

• For browser problems, see "Its not always malware: How to fix the top 10 Internet Explorer issues" and "How and Why to Clear Your Cache". If your having connectivity issues or errors such as Page cannot be displayed see "Repair/Reset Winsock settings" and "Troubleshooting Internet Connection Problems".

• Defrag your system. Disk fragmentation slows the overall performance of your system. When files are fragmented, the computer must search the hard disk when a file is opened. Disk Defragmenter consolidates fragmented files and folders on the hard disk so that each occupies a single space on the disk. This speeds up reading and writing to the disk. Read "The Importance of Disk Defragmentation" for instructions.

• Check for disk errors by running CHKDSK in "SAFE MODE" or from the Recovery Console. In the Check Disk dialog box, select the "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box, click "Start" and have it repair anything it finds. As you use your hard drive, it can develop bad sectors which slow down hard disk performance and make data writing difficult. Check Disk scans the hard drive and verifies the logical integrity of a file system by checking for system errors, lost clusters, lost chains, and bad sectors. When encountering logical inconsistencies in file system data, it will perform the necessary actions to repair the file system data.

• Check for damaged, altered or missing critical system files by running the System File Checker. If SFC discovers that a protected file has been damaged, altered or missing, it restores the correct version of the file from the cache folder. You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run sfc and it may ask you to insert your XP Installation CD so have it available.

• Clean up your hard drive by removing unused programs and transferring old data, pictures, music files to a CD or an external hard drive. When you have moved/saved the files you want to keep, run Disk Cleanup and let it scan your system for files to remove. "Don’t clean out the Prefetch folder" - This is a common myth that will not improve performance.

As an alternative to Disk Cleanup you can download and scan CCleaner.
(Starting with v1.27.260, the standard build installs the Yahoo Toolbar as an option which is checkmarked by default during the installation. IF you do NOT want it, remove the checkmark when provided with the option OR download the toolbarfree Basic version instead.)• Check for any unnecessary running services. If you have a typical installation, many services are configured as "automatic"; that is, they start automatically when the system starts or when the service is called for the first time. Use "Black Viper's Services Configuration hosted by MajorGeeks" to help fine tune this area.

• Check for any unnecessary applications loading at startup when Windows boots with MSConfig. Some startup programs are necessary so be careful what you disable. If you are unsure what any of the startup entries are or if they are safe to disable, then search one of the following Startup Databases:
StartupList Index
Startup Programs Database

Note: MSConfig.exe is a troubleshooting utility used to diagnose system configuration issues. Although it works as a basic startup manager which allows you to enable/disable auto-start programs, msconfig should not be used routinely to disable startup programs.

A better alternative is to use a startup manager. If you have have Spybot S&D 1.4 installed, launch it, go to Mode and select Advanced. Then go to Tools, select System Startups. You will be provided with a list of programs that load when Windows starts. If you untick an entry it will no longer run at startup. This will allow you to experiment and see how your system performs with any of them disabled. Other startup managers you can download and use for free are Startup Control Panel, Autoruns and Starter by CodeStuff.

• Remove any third party "Memory Manager" or "Optimizer". Windows XP memory management was designed to make the best use of Ram and these memory management utilities defeat that purpose. They push applications out of RAM into the pagefile, creating holes in the RAM and by doing so, slow down your computer.

• Disable some visual effects. While visual embellishments that may be attractive, they don’t do anything else for you. Disabling some of them frees up system resources and makes the operating system perform better. Right click My Computer, choose > Properties > Advanced, click on "Settings" under performance...UNcheck all the visual effects, except for the last three. Click "Apply", then "OK", then "OK" again. Then right click your desktop and choose > Properties > Appearance > "Effects...Uncheck the first two boxes and hit "OK".

• Adding more RAM is a quick solution that can have a dramatic affect on your system's speed and responsiveness. You can check how much RAM you have by going to Start > Program Files > Accessories > System Tools > System Information and look at your System Summary. For more info see "Understanding, Identifying and Upgrading the RAM in your PC".

• For more suggestions and performance tips read:
"Restore Your Computer's Performance with Windows XP"
"XP Performance Tweaks"
"Performance Boost for XP"

When you are all done be sure to Create a new Restore Point to enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state keeping all the changes you just made.

I realise there is a lot there to get through but there is no rush, please take your time.

When you next post back I would like you to tell me if the Microsoft Office Word program is running better after reinstalling it.

Also tell me if the system is running better after following the steps in the article I provided or if there is any improvement.
curlylad
Retired Graduate

Advertisement
Register to Remove

PreviousNext