Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Increased security

This is the place for general discussions - we are a family site - no bad language, no flames.
A Moderators word is final.

Increased security

Unread postby LeeB » December 6th, 2006, 6:34 am

I'm trying to increase the security on my home PC as have recently heard about certain ports being open to access via the internet. I want to stop any chance of this happening! I've read about unbinding TCP/IP from file and printer sharing, are there any spin off problems associated with doing this? (I am not on a network - just 1 home PC) and how do I actually do it?. Would appreciate if anyone has clear instructions on how to go about doing this on XP SP2.

Thanks
LeeB

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby John B. » December 6th, 2006, 9:20 am

Hello LeeB,

Have you got a firewall? Which one? A good firewall will block intruders trying to access open ports and will ask you to open a port if a program wants to do so.

Greets, John.
John B.
MRU Master Emeritus

Unread postby Angoid » December 6th, 2006, 9:35 am

Hi LeeB,

In general, the fewer ports that are exposed to the open Internet the better.

As JOhn B asked, what firewall are you using? Most firewalls will make programs ask for permission before allowing them to connect to the Internet.

As for unbinding TCP/IP from file and printer sharing, take a look here, and scroll down to Case C.

But since it pertains to network stuff and you're not a network, I don't think there should be a need for this. Hold fire on this until someone more proficient in networks comes along ....
Angoid
Developer
Developer

Unread postby LeeB » December 6th, 2006, 9:36 am

Hi John

I run Mcafee Security suite which has a firewall. Do you think that does the job OK. I was looking at the sheilds up section on the GRC site and it kind of freaked me out?.

Cheers

Lee
LeeB

Unread postby Angoid » December 6th, 2006, 9:37 am

Try this link instead - it takes you directly to Case C. Sorry I didn't see that before, and unfortunately you cannot edit your own posts in this room.
Angoid
Developer
Developer

Unread postby John B. » December 6th, 2006, 1:19 pm

You should be safe with McAfee firewall :) What is the result of the shields up?
John B.
MRU Master Emeritus

Unread postby LeeB » December 7th, 2006, 5:48 am

The results say all ports show as stealth this morning but yesterday I'm sure port 139 was open. The sheilds up site does say that some firewalls are adaptive and learn when probed.

Anyway, the reuslts look OK so I'm happy!

Thanks for your help
LeeB

Unread postby John B. » December 7th, 2006, 10:34 am

Hello,

Do you have a router installed? Most routers have an external firewall...

The external firewall won't let unknown ip's pass through possible open ports. An internal firewall can also do that and it can also ask you for permission if a program wants to access download information (incoming traffic) or wants to send information (outcoming traffic).

With a McAfee firewall you're safe (if it's up to date) and a router would be even better...

Glad we could help you :)

John.
John B.
MRU Master Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Return to General Discussions