Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

How can I remove traces of adware from the registry?

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Unread postby batfink » November 6th, 2006, 8:43 am

Thanks for this wealth of info.

I am just in the process of following your instructions for removing Norton. At the end of your post you said
To eliminate these files for Internet Explorer users, download the Symantec Norton MSI cleanup file SYMMSICLEANUP.reg here and save it to your desktop; if you use the Firefox browser, you will need to download a different file to accomplish this task. Firefox users, please download this file

I use Firefox and when I click on your link to download the file, it opens a new Firefox window and shows me the contents of the file rather than downloading it. Do I need to copy and paste this into Notepad and then save the file?

Thanks
batfink

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Norton removal

Unread postby whisperer » November 6th, 2006, 12:01 pm

Hi Batfink,

The files concerned are both registry files (IE and FF versions). To use them we need to convert the contents to a registry file.

First thing to do is to ensure that we have an up-to-date saved copy of the registry before we apply the fix. To do this click Start> Run> and in the run box type Regedit. In the Registry Edit window select File and then Export. Choose a suitable name BU061106 would be a backup for today’s date as an example, I would save it to the Desktop for ease of location.

Now open a new Notepad document, ensure that there is not tick against Word Wrap under the Format option in the menu. Now copy and paste the content of the link to the Notepad document ensuring that there is a spare line under Regedit 4.

Choose Save As and in the dialogue box change the ‘Save as type’ option to All Files then use norton.reg as the name and save to the Desktop.

Locate the Norton.reg and click to Open it, say Yes when asked to merge with the registry and that should be it.

GT :thumbup:
whisperer
Retired Graduate

Unread postby batfink » November 24th, 2006, 2:51 pm

Hi Whisperer,

Thanks for your instructions on how to completely remove Norton. I followed them last week and the pc has been ok until Tuesday this week. When I switched on the pc and Windows XP loaded, I could tell from the Windows log on screen (before evening logging in) that the screen resolution had changed. I have my screen resolution setting at 1024x768 but for some reason it had changed to 800x600. Not only had it changed the resolution but the monitor display settings on the actual monitor also needed adjusting to get the picture in the correct place again. I adjusted the horizontal and vertical alignment settings and had to rotate the screen slightly.

For the next 3 times I switched on the pc all the display (and monitor) settings had been retained. Today however the resolution has reverted back to 800x600 and the monitor settings had to be changed again. Do you have any idea why this is happening and more importantly how I can stop this from recurring? I'm sorry if this isn't part of your remit but I didn't know whether this could be related in some way to the changes I have been making mentioned in this thread.

I'd be grateful for your thoughts.... :)
batfink

Unread postby whisperer » November 24th, 2006, 3:13 pm

Hi Batfink,

It is certainly outside of the remit of the forum as it is most unlikely to be malware associated.

My best guess would be a fault in the graphics set-up. If you have a separate graphics card and you know your way around the inside of a PC then I would remove the card and then reseat it.

In the unlikely event that it is software related then try a system restore to before the start of the problem.

Sorry I can not help further but you could try PCPitstop for further assistance

GT :thumbup:
whisperer
Retired Graduate

Unread postby NonSuch » December 24th, 2006, 5:11 am