Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

my HijackThis log

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Unread postby Stern » September 7th, 2006, 8:51 am

I think messing with the java stuff broke something in Firefox. There is a site I regularly visit 'discworld.atuin.net'.

The menu on the front page works fine, but when I go to any of the other pages(from the menu on the side) the menu doesn't appear once I get to those pages(and its meant to).
Stern

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby Stern » September 7th, 2006, 8:53 am

It seems to work fine in IE though, as an afterthought. And my version of Firefox is 1.5.0.6
Stern

Unread postby Trogan » September 7th, 2006, 9:10 am

I don't think this is Java related. I went to the website, and when I clicked on one of the pages on the left, the menu appeared at the top rather than the side. Did you get that? I tried both IE and Firefox.
Trogan
MRU Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby Stern » September 7th, 2006, 10:51 am

Yes, that is the way they're meant to work. But they don't show at all once I navigate off the main page.
Stern

Unread postby Trogan » September 7th, 2006, 11:11 am

Uninstall Java, reboot your computer, and re-install Java. See if that works. Let me know please. :)
Trogan
MRU Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby Stern » September 9th, 2006, 5:46 am

It seems to work now, cheers! :) Anything else to sweep my computer with? This has been very helpful, thanks!
Stern

Unread postby Trogan » September 9th, 2006, 7:39 am

Hi Stern! I'm glad its back to normal! :)

You can delete VundoFix as it is not needed anymore. Your HijackThis log is clean too. :thumbleft:

The following program will do an excellent job on cleaning your computer

Download CCleaner from here to clean temp files from your computer. *Note: The newer versions come with Yahoo! Toolbar installed. If you do not want this, uncheck the box during installation*
  • Install CCleaner
  • Open CCleaner to start the program.
  • On the "Windows" tab, under "Internet Explorer," uncheck "Cookies" if you do not want them deleted. (If deleted, you will likely need to re-enter your passwords at all sites where a cookie is used to recognize you when you visit).
  • If you use either the Firefox or Opera browsers, the box to uncheck for "Cookies" is on the Applications tab, under Firefox/Mozilla.
  • Click on the "Options" icon at the left side of the window, then click on "Advanced."
    deselect "Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours."
  • Click on the "Cleaner" icon on the left side of the window, then click Run Cleaner to run the program.
  • Caution: It is not recommended that you use the "Issues" feature unless you are very familiar with the registry as it has been known to find legitimate items.
  • After CCleaner has completed its process, click Exit.

Here are some measures you can take to stay more secure online:

Secure your Internet Explorer by going here and following the instructions there.

Better yet, use an alternative browser! Download FireFox and give it a run. It is far more secure than Internet Explorer. Or, you can get Opera.

Use a firewall to help prevent your PC(s) from being usurped by undesireables. If you don't have a Firewall, then choose one from the list here

Install an Anti-Virus. There are some good, free AV's available today. Make sure that it is updated regularly and have it scan your system often. If you don't have an Anti-Virus program, choose one from the list here

Install and keep updated, Ad-Aware SE and Spybot Search & Destroy.
Run them both on a regular basis, following the manufacturer's recommendations.

Install and keep updated, SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard

Check for Windows Updates. Microsoft regularly post updates for your systems safe running. Make sure to take advantage of this. Reboot when installed and return to make sure there are no others.

Clear your Temp folders.
Go to Start > Control Panel > Internet Options.
Under the General tab click the Delete Files... button; check the Delete all offline content box and press OK. Next, click the Delete Cookies... button and press OK

Go to "Start" -> "Run" and type in the box: "cleanmgr" press OK. Select the drive where your Operating System is installed (Default is C:) and press OK. Let Disk Cleanup scan your system for files to remove (it takes a few minutes!). On the next screen make sure these 3 options are checked
  • Temporary Files
  • Temporary Internet Files
  • Recycle Bin
and then press "OK" to remove:

Go to Start > Find/Search > Files or folders > in the named box, type: *.tmp and choose Edit > select all -> File > delete.

Empty/delete the entire contents from within the following folders:
C:\Windows\temp
C:\temp <-- if you have one.
Note: Empty the contents but do not delete the folder(s).

Clear out temp files from the following location. Change "username" to whatever you have on your computer.
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp\
In order to view these files you may have to select 'show hidden files/folders.' Instructions on how to here.

Empty the Recycle Bin!

Hide system files
It is very important that system files and folders are hidden again, so that they DO NOT get deleted by mistake. To hide system files and folders, do the following for your operating system...

Windows XP
* Click Start.
* Open My Computer.
* Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
* Select the View Tab.
* Under the Hidden files and folders heading, uncheck Do not show hidden files and folders
* Check the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
* Click Yes to confirm.
* Click OK.

For XP users.
It's a good idea to Flush your System Restore points after ridding yourself of malware: You can clean this by doing the following:

• Click Start | Help and Support | Undo changes to your computer with System Restore.
  • Click Create A Restore Point then click Next. Give it a name it and then click Create, then Close.
  • Close the Help and Support Center box.
  • Click Start | Run and type Cleanmgr
  • Select (C: ) then click OK.
  • Click the More Options tab.
  • Click Clean Up in the System Restore Section.
This will remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.

===============

If you have any more problems, post back. Otherwise, respond once more so we may archive this thread. :)
Trogan
MRU Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby NonSuch » September 11th, 2006, 11:15 pm

Glad we could be of assistance.