Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Hi all. Got any suggestions for this one?

This is the place for general discussions - we are a family site - no bad language, no flames.
A Moderators word is final.

Hi all. Got any suggestions for this one?

Unread postby trence5 » September 1st, 2006, 5:35 pm

Hi all.
I'm having trouble tryin to install softtwar on my PC. when I try to open it I keep getting a error report.
I've tried installing my graphics program- which I downloaded, then I tried previous versions from my CD, then 7. They install normally, no prob.. When I try to open it I get the error. I've installed Netzero from CD - which will open, but even after I close it it'll say there was a problem with the program. Ok and in the error report contents this file is include:
C:\DOCUME~1\TORREN~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER2D.tmp.dir00\appcompat.txt
trence5

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby trence5 » September 1st, 2006, 5:43 pm

Sorry to add to my own thread but I just thought of something.... Can AOL affect your system? Here's why I ask.
For some odd reason, even though I leave my pc on over night, it ends my downloads at only 30 to 59% complete. Top it off some program's I've tried to install, from CD, when I try to open it up I keep gettin that damn error sign. And something won't allow me to dl the windows patch update - something about your setting my not allow for Active X functions. Around this time, I canceled my AOL account and uninstalled it.
Could that have had something to do with this?

Thank you.
trence5

Unread postby trence5 » September 5th, 2006, 9:13 pm

*update* Hi all. I tried to edit my posts but I could because I wanted to state that I can now recieve windows updates and get my msn messenger to log on now.
Now my problem is getting my 3D program to open up :? . Anyone here know what is this file is about. C:\DOCUME~1\TORREN~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER1A4.tmp.dir00\appcompat.txt

Thank you.
trence5

Unread postby zaxaz » September 12th, 2006, 2:51 pm

Hi trence5,
appcompat.txt is a text file so you could try opening it with notepad. It may or may not make sense when you look at the contents. I would think it stands for Application Compatibility and could be used to determine what went wrong during the install.
zaxaz

Unread postby GS2 » September 12th, 2006, 3:57 pm

http://channels.lockergnome.com/it/arch ... ttxt.phtml

appcompat.txt is simply a reporting file used when uploading error reports to Microsoft. You've seen the message asking you if you would like to "report this error to Microsoft?" appcompat.txt is a file that is uploaded if you say yes.

So what do you do when you get an error message that references appcompat.txt? In my opinion, a) allow windows to report the error to Microsoft, if it asks you to, and b) forget about appcompat.txt. Unless you're technical enough to understand what's inside of it, it will not help you. Focus instead on what you were doing when the problem happened. We all know that programs can crash for many, many different reasons. The problem could be due to a bug in an application, a problem with your machine, a bug in Windows, a security issue, or any number of other things. Just saying "it's appcompat.txt" tells you exactly nothing about the problem.

The steps to take then will depend on what you were doing and what applications were involved. A fix could be as simple as a configuration change, a virus scan a system file check, or as complex as a complete rebuild and reinstall of Windows. But without more information, there's simply no way to know.
GS2

Unread postby trence5 » September 16th, 2006, 7:17 pm

GS2 wrote:http://channels.lockergnome.com/it/archives/20050617_how_do_i_resolve_my_problem_with_appcompattxt.phtml

appcompat.txt is simply a reporting file used when uploading error reports to Microsoft. You've seen the message asking you if you would like to "report this error to Microsoft?" appcompat.txt is a file that is uploaded if you say yes.

So what do you do when you get an error message that references appcompat.txt? In my opinion, a) allow windows to report the error to Microsoft, if it asks you to, and b) forget about appcompat.txt. Unless you're technical enough to understand what's inside of it, it will not help you. Focus instead on what you were doing when the problem happened. We all know that programs can crash for many, many different reasons. The problem could be due to a bug in an application, a problem with your machine, a bug in Windows, a security issue, or any number of other things. Just saying "it's appcompat.txt" tells you exactly nothing about the problem.

The steps to take then will depend on what you were doing and what applications were involved. A fix could be as simple as a configuration change, a virus scan a system file check, or as complex as a complete rebuild and reinstall of Windows. But without more information, there's simply no way to know.
Thank you very much :)
trence5

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Return to General Discussions