Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Firefox Updates

Notifications for Security Updates, as well as News and Information from across the web - mostly security minded.

Update Contributors: Members of the Malware Removal University.

Regular Members: Our Regular Members are invited to start and/or participate in all other topics. Join in and share the news that's important to you.

Re: Firefox Updates

Unread postby Gary R » August 17th, 2017, 1:58 am

The address bar is screwed on this version (it "overlaps" any add-on icons that might be to the right of it), so I do not recommend people update to it until Mozilla have fixed this minor annoyance (or you're prepared to move your add-on icons to the left of the address bar).

Edit: Moving add-on icons to the left of the address bar makes the toolbar even worse.

My advice give this one a veto until they've developed it properly.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby NonSuch » August 17th, 2017, 11:12 pm

Gary R wrote:The address bar is screwed on this version (it "overlaps" any add-on icons that might be to the right of it), so I do not recommend people update to it until Mozilla have fixed this minor annoyance (or you're prepared to move your add-on icons to the left of the address bar).

Edit: Moving add-on icons to the left of the address bar makes the toolbar even worse.

My advice give this one a veto until they've developed it properly.

I'm not experiencing that problem. Using 55.0.2 64 bit version. :dontknow:
NonSuch
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby Gary R » August 18th, 2017, 12:53 am

Problem was resolved as soon as I reverted back to 54.0.1 so I can't see how it could be anything else. Could be the new version doesn't get along with one of my add-ons.

What I don't like in the more modern versions of Firefox, is your inability now to resize your address bar, which was possible in earlier versions, and which would have probably resolved this issue for me without the need to revert.

PS. Have tried both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of 55.0.2 and in both, the address bar superimposes itself over the first add-on icon to the right of it, irrespective of which add-on it is, or whether I remove icons from the toolbar to give it more space or not.

PSS. My Linux machine just updated to Firefox 55.0.2 and the toolbar on that is f****d as well. Haven't yet worked out how to revert to an earlier version of Firefox on that platform yet, so it's quite an annoyance.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby NonSuch » August 18th, 2017, 2:59 pm

That has to be really frustrating, and it sounds like a bug or a compatibility issue to me, not an intentional "feature." If you think it's a bug, you could report it at Bugzilla: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/enter_bug.cgi

I've just taken a look at mozillaZine's Firefox topics, and I saw no topics about this particular address bar issue, which seems to me would be annoying enough to inspire a spate of complaints. You might consider posting there as the site has a number of Firefox experts that help with troubleshooting, etc. Someone might have some insight into what you're experiencing: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=49
NonSuch
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby Gary R » August 18th, 2017, 5:56 pm

Good idea, I'll post something there tomorrow if I get the chance. I can't imagine I'm the only once that this has happened to, but maybe no one else has noticed that they have a problem yet.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby NonSuch » August 18th, 2017, 7:13 pm

It's very possible that others may not have noticed the issue yet. If that's the case, you just may get a hot topic going. :thumbleft:
NonSuch
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby Gary R » August 19th, 2017, 12:30 pm

After a bit of investigation by me, it turns out the problem was caused by the theme I use, which doesn't appear to be compatible with 55.0.2.

Strange that it wasn't flagged during the update, since FF is supposed to check add-ons and themes for compatibility, and disable them if they're not compatible.

Don't like the default theme for 55.0.2 but at the moment there do not appear to be too many alternatives, and in any case all FF add-ons are going to change come FF57. So anything that's compatible now, won't be compatible then, which means that at present there's little or no point in searching for a theme that I get along with.

So I'll stick with FF54.0.1 on my Windows machines, and "live" with FF55.0.2 (and its appalling appearance) on my Linux machine.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby NonSuch » August 19th, 2017, 2:38 pm

Good detective work, Gary. :thumbleft:

I'm glad you found the cause of the problem, and like you I'm surprised that Firefox did not flag your theme as incompatible. You might let Mozilla know about this issue as you certainly can't be the only one who uses that theme, so it definitely needs to be flagged as incompatible.
NonSuch
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby Gary R » August 19th, 2017, 5:17 pm

Have to create an account to make a report, and I've already got more accounts than I can keep proper track of, so I'll probably let it go for now.

Maybe when I get a flash of remorse, for my appalling lack of social conscience ....... ;) :D
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby NonSuch » August 19th, 2017, 6:36 pm

Gary R wrote:Have to create an account to make a report, and I've already got more accounts than I can keep proper track of, so I'll probably let it go for now.

Maybe when I get a flash of remorse, for my appalling lack of social conscience ....... ;) :D

:lol:
NonSuch
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby km2357 » August 26th, 2017, 1:12 am

km2357
MRU Master
MRU Master

Unread postby km2357 » September 28th, 2017, 2:25 pm

km2357