Troubleshoot Firefox Add-onsFirefox
allows the installation of Extensions
which extend its capabilities. Most of these are legitimate, some come bundled with "free" programs and are installed when you install the program, and some are installed as a result of Malware.
Good, indifferent or malicious, they can all potentially affect the performance of Firefox, and it's useful to be able to isolate them, to determine which (if any) might be the cause of any problems you're having.
Firefox can be run in Safe Mode
with all the extensions and add-ons disabled.
To do so ....
- Click Help > Restart with Add-Ons Disabled
- You will be asked if you're sure you want to disable add-ons, click Restart
- When Firefox restarts you will be prompted with the following ....
If Firefox appears to be running better, then the next stage is to try and determine which of your add-ons is causing the problem.
- Do not check any of the boxes, just click on Continue in Safe Mode
- Re-start Firefox in normal mode.
- Click Tools > Add-ons to bring up the Add-ons Manager
- Click on Extensions
- Click the Disable button for the first of your Extensions.
- Repeat to disable all your Extensions.
- Click on Plug-ins
- Disable all plug-ins in a similar manner to the Extensions.
- Enable one of your add-ons and re-start Firefox.
- If Firefox is still working OK, enable the next one and re-start Firefox.
Repeat this process with all your add-ons, until you find the add-on or add-ons that were causing the problem.