Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Most Recent High Priority Update

This is the place for general discussions - we are a family site - no bad language, no flames.
A Moderators word is final.

Most Recent High Priority Update

Unread postby SpotCheckBilly » March 27th, 2006, 3:55 am

Hey all,

I'm having problems trying to install the latest high-priority update from Microsoft. It's the validation tool update.

It downloads OK, but fails to install I get a message to check the update installation history. When I click the link, I get a message to click the red X next to the failed installation notice for instructions on repairing the problem, and another link to check update history. So, I keep going around in circles with no apparent solution.

Any and all ideas possible solutions enthusiastically welcomed. I will also take suggestions on the correct sized hammer and where to get one for demolition of one Dell computer (just kiddin kinda). LOL

Thanks in advance :blob7: :banghead: :banghead:

SpotCheckBilly
SpotCheckBilly
MRU Master
MRU Master

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby kid » March 27th, 2006, 6:18 am

Hey billy,

Is there an error number next to the failure notice? Normally it will give you an error code, then searching this code will give some info on why the update wont install.
kid

Unread postby Gary R » March 27th, 2006, 10:53 am

To find your Update log, look in the following location.

C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log (it can be viewed in Notepad).

For help interpreting log see

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=902093

I've had this problem, unfortunately no error code in my case, but by updating by clicking on yellow shield icon in task bar (when it appears), I found I didn't have to install Validation tool to get updates.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby SpotCheckBilly » March 28th, 2006, 3:57 am

This is the error message that I get:
Installation Failure

Error Code: 0x80070005
Try to install the update again, or request help from one of the following resources.

For self-help options:

Frequently Asked Questions
Find Solutions
Windows Update Newsgroup

For assisted support options:

Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for issues related to getting updates)

Print | Close
I discovered (thanks Gary for this) that if I turned on the automatic updates, I, too, got all of the updates without having to download the validation tool. Oddly enough, when I go to the site used in all of the canned speeches, the validation tool works perfectly and my copy of Windows is verified as being valid.

I DO NOT like automatic updates. The only thing that I allow to update automatically is my security software. I guess this means I will just have to turn on automatic updates when I want to get updates then turn it back off. What a P.I.T.A! :blob7:

SpotCheckBilly
SpotCheckBilly
MRU Master
MRU Master

Unread postby Gary R » March 28th, 2006, 4:44 am

You don't have to have it on full auto, just have it set to notify you when new updates are due, then click on the shield.

Click Start / Control Panel / Security Center / Automatic Updates then check the Notify me but don't automatically download or install radio button.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby Gary R » March 28th, 2006, 4:51 am

Gary R wrote:You don't have to have it on full auto, just have it set to notify you when new updates are due, then click on the shield.

Click Start / Control Panel / Security Center / Automatic Updates then check the Notify me but don't automatically download or install radio button.

I've had troubles twice now with this Validation tool. First time I cured it with a regfix got from a link supplied to me by Kim (different error code to the one you've got), 2nd time no error code so haven't been able to resolve problem other than the "clicking on the shield" way.

Like you I have a Validation Tool installed, which works fine anywhere but on the update site.

It really is about time M$ got their act together, this is a critical part of Internet security, and legitimate users should not be having these sorts of problems everytime they need to update.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby NonSuch » March 28th, 2006, 5:16 am

I've only had an update fail to install once. Once was more than enough, thank you. :roll:

I finally resolved the issue by going to the Windows Update Catalog site and manually downloading and installing the errant update. That worked just fine. Why it would install after downloading from there, but not from the normal Windows Update site, I have no idea.
NonSuch
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby Gary R » March 28th, 2006, 8:11 am

I've only had an update fail to install once. Once was more than enough, thank you.

Yes, it's not a pleasurable experience, and made even less so by the lack of any real help from M$.

The help may be there if you're prepared to wade through the labyrinthine complexities of M$'s poorly interconnected Websites, but it's certainly not easily available, and many people just give up the struggle, leaving their computers vulnerable.

Is this really the best support they can give, I don't think so.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby SpotCheckBilly » March 28th, 2006, 6:01 pm

Well, at least I DID get the updates, following Gary's suggestion. Since I always check for updates at least once a week, I guess that turning automatic updates on/off doesn't take any longer than the scan to see what updates are available does. Another amazing development from brother Bill. (Big sigh)

I think I will try doing what NonSuch did. Maybe that will work. If not, at least I have the workaround.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

SpotCheckBilly
SpotCheckBilly
MRU Master
MRU Master

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Return to General Discussions