Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

My Security Software

This is the place for general discussions - we are a family site - no bad language, no flames.
A Moderators word is final.

My Security Software

Unread postby Psinetic » June 9th, 2009, 1:42 am

First of all, I'd just like to say Hi to everyone. This is my first post and, well, hi. :)
I am a military IT and work on several computer problems daily (software and hardware failures mostly).

I'd like opinions and suggestions on what security software everyone else here uses. Here's a list of the software i commonly use (and yes, I run them all at the same time):

-ESET NOD32 (PAID)
-COMODO FIREWALL (PAID)
-AD-AWARE (PAID)
-SPYBOT SEARCH AND DESTROY
-SPYWARE BLASTER
-MALWAREBYTES
-COMBOFIX (ONLY WHEN NECCESSARY -- DO NOT USE THIS PROGRAM UNLESS DIRECTED BY A TRAINED PROFESSIONAL)
-PEER GUARDIAN 2

EDIT: I DON'T use these programs to fight malware, except combofix and malware bytes (read warning about combofix above--VERY IMPORTANT!!!)

What sofware do you use or would recommend that is better than this? I look forward to seeing what everyone has to say!

Edit:

Edited from "-COMBOFIX (ONLY WHEN NECCESSARY)" to "-COMBOFIX (ONLY WHEN NECCESSARY -- DO NOT USE THIS PROGRAM UNLESS DIRECTED BY A TRAINED PROFESSIONAL)"

All you had to do was ask or edit it yourself >_>
Last edited by Psinetic on June 10th, 2009, 10:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Psinetic

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: My Security Software

Unread postby Gary R » June 9th, 2009, 2:56 am

COMBOFIX (ONLY WHEN NECCESSARY)

And how do YOU know when it's necessary ?

Combofix is not a tool that should be used by UNTRAINED personnel.

Just throwing a tool at a problem that you don't understand, because you've seen others do it, is the easy way to leave yourself with an unworkable machine.

Combofix is a powerful tool that is used against specific problems under specific conditions, and ONLY under the guidance of someone who has been trained to interpret its findings, it is not to be used by every idiot who has an infection they can't get rid of.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby Psinetic » June 9th, 2009, 3:14 am

Gary R wrote:
COMBOFIX (ONLY WHEN NECCESSARY)

And how do YOU know when it's necessary ?

Combofix is not a tool that should be used by UNTRAINED personnel.

Just throwing a tool at a problem that you don't understand, because you've seen others do it, is the easy way to leave yourself with an unworkable machine.

Combofix is a powerful tool that is used against specific problems under specific conditions, and ONLY under the guidance of someone who has been trained to interpret its findings, it is not to be used by every idiot who has an infection they can't get rid of.

Ok, my mistake, maybe I didn't say that someone else told me to use it. I know you guys here have stricts rules and guidelines, which makes sense because, obviously, combofix IS a powerful tool that CAN mess up your system files. I never use it unless someone who IS trained tells me to use it, and I haven't had to use it often.

Let me apologize for not making that clear the first time, but you didn't have to bite my neck off to get the point.

And how do YOU know I didn't have someone trained tell me to use it? You just jumped the gun and bashed one of your members for NO REASON, good job.

EDIT:

Just so you know though, this wasn't meant to be offensive to you, I was just showing you how it offended me. I KNOW it offended you, that's was the point, to show you how it felt. I don't like getting yelled at when I don't think I did anything wrong. If I did something wrong, edit the post, fix it, and send me a pm letting me know. If you've got the time to bash me like that then you've most certainly got the time to send me a private message letting me know you edited my post.
Last edited by Psinetic on June 9th, 2009, 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Psinetic

Unread postby Gary R » June 9th, 2009, 3:33 am

Yes I did.

Every week we get people coming here seeking help with machines they've damaged by running tools which are inappropriate for the infection they are trying to remove. They create a great deal of unnecessary extra work for the helpers here.

Believe it or not, you will not be the only person to read this thread, and if I can get through to someone reading this thread, that running tools they don't understand to remove an infection they haven't properly identified, is not a good idea, then I will shout that fact just as loudly as I can.

And how do YOU know I didn't have someone trained tell me to use it? You just jumped the gun and bashed one of your members for NO REASON, good job.

If you were using Combofix under guidance, then you should have made that point clear. If you post an idiotic statement, then it will be pointed out as such. I don't have time to be a mind reader and interpret what you might have meant. I can only interpret what you did write.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby Psinetic » June 9th, 2009, 3:46 am

Gary R wrote:Yes I did.

Every week we get people coming here seeking help with machines they've damaged by running tools which are inappropriate for the infection they are trying to remove. They create a great deal of unnecessary extra work for the helpers here.

Believe it or not, you will not be the only person to read this thread, and if I can get through to someone reading this thread, that running tools they don't understand to remove an infection they haven't properly identified, is not a good idea, then I will shout that fact just as loudly as I can.

If you were using Combofix under guidance, then you should have made that point clear. If you post an idiotic statement, then it will be pointed out as such. I don't have time to be a mind reader and interpret what you might have meant. I can only interpret what you did write.

Alright, look. Does it LOOK like I came to this site to argue with the site owner? Well I didn't. Does it LOOK like I came here just to screw around and make people think I'm a complete and utter loser giving out bad information? NO, I didn't.

Maybe I didn't state it enough for you, let me quote it again:

I am a military IT and work on several computer problems daily (software and hardware failures mostly).

I do know a thing or two about computers, and I'm not some idiot kid that you can just trample over, nor will I tolerate it. You didn't have to say what you did to me. You could have edited the thread and sent me a pm informing me nicely of what you did. Instead you chose to rip new one, which was COMPLETELY uncalled for. Do you think I have never had any kind of leadership opportunities in my own life? Or that I don't know what networks and computers are? I thought stating the above sentence threw it off the first time, but in case it didn't:

I work with over 100 trouble tickets a month regarding problems from hardware failures, software failures, VIRUSES, customer service, and have my own chain of command to take order from and give orders to.

In no way shape or form does any leader EVER openly bash their subordinate, and they don't refer to them as idiots and stupid.

When you say "How do YOU know..." and calling me "UNTRAINED", you denote me as an idiotic and ignorant person who doesn't know anything. Before you want to bash me, READ WHAT I WRITE. I said, "I AM A MILITARY IT AND HAVE WORKED ON SEVERAL COMPUTER PROBLEMS DAILY", The military wouldn't let me just work on millions of dollars worth of equipment if I didn't know what i was doing, so OBVIOUSLY I know SOMETHING about computers.

If you wanna call someone stupid, go right ahead, start with your children, but I sure as heck ain't your child and I won't be treated as such.

With that said, I'll edit, and already have, the original post and may I kindly ask that you remove the posts you, and i, made after the initial post, so this thread doesn't just get trashed with idiotic and retarded comments (on both YOUR side and mine). Thank you.
Psinetic

Unread postby Gary R » June 9th, 2009, 5:11 am

Your military experience, and the number of tickets you deal with each month, is of no concern to me. I do not doubt your technical ability in your own field.

However, you are not trained in the use of Combofix, and you are not aware of the peculiarities of that tool. So whatever your other experience is is irrelevant. The comment I made is correct, you are untrained.

You made no comment in your original post (which I note you've now edited), that Combofix should not be used without guidance, and I was right to point out the stupidity of doing so.

Could I have phrased things more delicately, most certainly, would I do so if faced with the same circumstances again, probably not.

Your outbursts in this thread will make my message not to use Combofix without guidance much more memorable than my original post could ever have done.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby Psinetic » June 9th, 2009, 5:59 am

lol, ok, well would it at least be best if you split the thread into two, one clear of the related posts so that the original thread can survive a little? lol (probably won't help, the thread'll probably die anyways)
Psinetic

Unread postby Gary R » June 9th, 2009, 7:28 am

If you want to start another thread without the Combofix content, I promise I won't make comments that may divert it from its original purpose. ;) :D
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby Psinetic » June 9th, 2009, 8:24 am

nvm it's not worth it. :P
Psinetic

Unread postby Maik » June 10th, 2009, 8:11 pm

Hi, Psinetic. No disrespect intended but when total newbies post this kind of question it has some validity. When someone who professes to be competent poses the question I have to wonder what the point is.

But as you’ve asked the question and on the basis that this is an open forum and not a private party:

When you say you use Comodo (paid version) can I take it you mean Comodo Internet Security Pro? Maybe it’s just me, but any security company that offers to remove malware for an extra fee doesn’t inspire a great deal of confidence in their product. It’s just one of the reasons I’d no longer touch Comodo with a barge pole. But each to their own tastes and if it works for you, great.
Maik

Unread postby Psinetic » June 10th, 2009, 10:45 pm

I don't use comodo to fight malware, I use comodo as a firewall, and it works effectively enough for me. Effectively enough that it once warded off a three-month DDoS attack logging up to 5,000 hits a day. And the paid version only gives extra features. Every single piece of software i mentioned is completely and utterly FREE. Those that are "(PAID)" means I pay for my license with them and from doing that get a few extra features that the regular person doesn't get, but it doesn't make the software any more or less effective.

And I'm just a newbie on your site, I am no newbie to the computer world. People should try and consider that when new members join their forums. You could be calling someone who has worked on computer systems and security companies and knows 100xs more than YOU do a newbie just because they signed up to YOUR site a day ago when you signed up three months before them. I know, I've been the admin and moderator on SEVERAL forums for the past six years. I KNOW how to moderate a forum and I also know how it feels to be treated like an outcast just because i signed up after someone else. You as a member should give other members, regardless of time joined or post-count, respect and due regard in the fact that the guy you're talking to might know alot more than you do, and even if they don't, treating members like "newbies" is a good way to get members to STOP coming to your forums. Just chew on that for a while next time you want to call someone a newbie, k? :)
Psinetic

Unread postby kingdom1066 » June 11th, 2009, 4:00 am

Hello Psinetec.

Er can we get back on topic?

I use Comodo Firewall, Avg antivirus Malwarebytes and Winpatrol. These are a basic set of programs which I am happy with and have found my way around.
I did use Zone alarm firewall for several years but they changed the software and didnot like them trying to add extra bits so I now use Comodo. AVG I have used since the year dot.
No software can guarentee that it performs better than another due to the nature of the foe.
But if all software is kept up todate the situation can be managable.
Have you considered using online scans? There is also software that will stop the auto run of portable drives thereby reducing the tranfer of viruses between machines. They could have used that one at NASA a few month ago at the space station.
kingdom1066

Unread postby Maik » June 11th, 2009, 4:04 am

Thanks for the reply, Psinetic. A very illuminating post :)
Maik

Unread postby RTaRTiculate » June 11th, 2009, 10:21 pm

The programs I use as my line of defense are:

ESET Smart Security
MalwareBytes AntiMalware
SpywareBlaster
MVPS Hosts file
WinPatrol
McAfee SiteAdvisor

That's it, as I believe prevention is better than getting the virus onto your computer and THEN removing it.
RTaRTiculate

Unread postby Shinedown2012 » June 16th, 2009, 8:13 pm

What I use humm.. I'm putting what i use and not How i use it If you need help Ask trusted staff Moderators: Site Moderator, MRU Teacher, Admin/Teacher, MRU Mentor, Site Admin, Technical Admin They will Help.

(Or Read The Rulez And Post in the correct section to Fix Your Issuse)

ONLINE SUPPORT
Esetonline scanner
trenmicro online scanner
And just added
kaspersky onlinescanner
===================
Off line
===================
Malwarebytes
HijackThis
SpybotSD
Superantispyware