Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

antivirusonlivescan

This is the place for general discussions - we are a family site - no bad language, no flames.
A Moderators word is final.

antivirusonlivescan

Unread postby Woody_J » November 12th, 2008, 2:48 am

Hi all,

Thought you might find my following experience interesting:

I googled my own website (small, private project, poorly designed, whatever, etc) and click on the link to the site.

A popup appears:
This is a bit odd, of course, since I was using Firefox (not IE) for browsing. Noticing a familiar malware stench, I closed the window, and IE immediately popped open and prepared to take me to the offending site.

Gads! I know the .html on my site is clean (albeit lame), so how the heck does a link from google to my own site get redirected to this crapware site?

Avast! pops up and blocks the trojan, subsequent scans with MBAM come up clean, HJT log looks clean, and I've not had any other adverse reactions, so it would appear I'm not infected in any way.

At any rate, thought it was interesting, to be sure... I've had several clients recently with similar infections, and I've wondered (as have they) where they might have become infected in the first place.
I always suspect improper email or websurfing use, but at least a couple of the clients, I actually trust their web-intelligence, so I thought it strange that they got infected at all.

I didn't want to post publicly the links I found to cause this issue, but will be happy to PM them to any staff interested.

Edit: While this is probably the wrong thread? to post this in, I wasn't sure where else made sense, or I had access to... please move to more appropriate if needed (& thx)!

Cheers!
Woody_J

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: antivirusonlivescan

Unread postby John B. » November 20th, 2008, 10:00 am

This is a good page to see how to work your way around that infection:
How to Stop AntiVirus 2009

The pop up will not know of anything happening, you did not click OK, you did not click X, you just terminated the session and gone it is.

To prevent this kind of nasty pop ups as much as possible I recommend that you use FireFox with the NoScript add-on.
John B.
MRU Master Emeritus

Return to General Discussions