Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Need more SATA controllers

Troubleshooting all things hardware related. Adding new hardware and looking for opinions?

Need more SATA controllers

Unread postby Joshen74 » September 22nd, 2013, 4:40 am

Hello everybody, need your help to find a good solution to my problem (i have already found some bad ones)

Lets start with basics:
I have a MSI Z77A-GD65 motherboard
On this i have 2x Sata and 4x Sata3 (and two i cant seem to be able to use?)
I have one 120G SSD for OS and most programs, DVD, 2 HDD for media and 2 HDD in Raid 1 for safe storage.
So i run BIOS in Raid as this is the way as i know it to handle the Raid 1 setup.
I only use one PCI express slots for my GEFORCE GTX 670 at the moment.

Problem:
BF4 is coming to town and i only have 17G free on my SSD.
I really want to have theses games on a SSD as i have latency in games and when its loading a new game.

My plan is to get a new 250G SSD to have all games and SW and only keep the OS (more or less) on the old SSD.
The problem is that i have no more Free Sata slots!!!

Solution:
I have looked at several controller cards as that seems to be a possible way to go, if possible a Sata6 version.
But as i have understood now it might not be possible to get any speed from this controllers?
Example Asus U3S6

Have also read something about not being able to use BIOS in RAID mode when using this cards? how do i setup my Raid 1 in that case.

Hope you can come up with some suitable solutions for me (without replacing the MB)

/Joshen
Joshen74

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: Need more SATA controllers

Unread postby Digerati » November 2nd, 2013, 9:41 am

On this i have 2x Sata and 4x Sata3 (and two i cant seem to be able to use?)
I would look at the two you cannot use and try to figure out why not. Which ports don't work? According to your manual, SATA 6Gb/s ports 1 and 2 and SATA 3Gb/s ports 3 thru 6 are controlled by the Intel Z77 controller. But SATA 6Gb/s ports 7 and 8 are controlled via the Asmedia controller. Is that enabled and did you install the driver for it?

Why do you say you cannot get any speed via a card controller? PCIe v2.1 supports up to 500Mb/s. Still pretty quick. But if you are worried, move your HDs to the controller card (if you cannot get the other two ports working) and connect your new SSD to one of the freed SATA 6Gb/s ports.
Digerati

Return to Hardware Support