Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Firejail - Your Thoughts...?

Troubleshooting issues with software, including all version of Windows.

Firejail - Your Thoughts...?

Unread postby Jeremy_C » September 10th, 2016, 7:29 am

Came across this program called Firejail (which most of you probably already know about) for sandboxing. Anyone care to share their thoughts on it or experiences with it? :)
Jeremy_C

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: Firejail - Your Thoughts...?

Unread postby Gary R » September 10th, 2016, 12:02 pm

Considering that there's almost no Linux malware (I can go into the reasons for that if you wish), I've never seen the need to sandbox my Linux machine.

In any case, Linux is extremely easy to re-install from the bootable usb drive that I installed it with originally, I also keep my personal files backed up, and also use Aptik and Timeshift to keep a set of "restore points" for my system.

Should I ever come across a Linux infection, I can nuke n pave my current set up and have it back to exactly how it was before the infection in less than an hour.

http://www.teejeetech.in/2014/01/introducing-aptik.html
http://www.teejeetech.in/p/timeshift.html
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby Jeremy_C » September 10th, 2016, 1:09 pm

Okay, first off, those are some really nice backup options. I think I will need to get those and play around with them before doing much experimenting with anything else. They seem like are perfect for some things I have in mind, plus perfect for the beginner just in case I do something I shouldn't have. Very nice!

Also, about Firejail, I don't know if I would need to run it or not. It's one of a thousand things I'll probably be pointing my finger at and asking, "What's that, what's that?"

I'm sort of living that whole "The more you learn..." thing from the other thread. But Firejail might come in handy for another reason or maybe it becomes something I can suggest to a friend if the need arises, etc. Just keep finding myself trying to figure out everything I can now cause I lost a lot of time to those damn video games. If I had been more focused on all of this stuff over the last 10 years or more I would probably already know most of this stuff. Instead I'm only slightly more knowledgeable than most of the people that show up here with infections. :oops:
Jeremy_C

Unread postby Gary R » September 10th, 2016, 4:08 pm

I've never tried Firejail, so I'm not talking from personal experience, and I'm sure in the right circumstances it has a lot to be said for it.

However, my personal philosophy with regards to computing, is wherever I can, to keep things as simple as possible, in the belief that the less you mess around with things the fewer problems you'll have. It's a philosophy that has served me well so far.

To sandbox things, essentially you have to isolate them from the OS, and relay any commands and interactions through the sandboxing program. This introduces an additional level of processing, and therefore a whole new raft of areas for things to possibly go wrong.

Now whilst the trade off of that versus security might be a good one in a high threat environment like Windows, IMO it's not really a good one in a low threat environment like Linux. My only caveat to that would be if you were running a Linux server, where your net exposure is a good deal greater than it would be for normal home usage, in which case some level of sandboxing could be worthwhile.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby Jeremy_C » September 10th, 2016, 4:49 pm

Gary R wrote:However, my personal philosophy with regards to computing, is wherever I can, to keep things as simple as possible, in the belief that the less you mess around with things the fewer problems you'll have. It's a philosophy that has served me well so far.

Well, perhaps this is one of those things best left to cursory knowledge. I've currently got plenty to learn already and I certainly couldn't recommend this to anyone without knowing it fairly well. Think I'll just follow your philosophy in this case and leave sandboxing alone. For now, at least... :D
Jeremy_C

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Return to Software Support (including Windows)