Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Is it possible to system restore and keep certain files?

Troubleshooting issues with software, including all version of Windows.

Is it possible to system restore and keep certain files?

Unread postby Mister Spoo » July 20th, 2015, 6:19 pm

So, I want to factory reset my PC but I want to keep files, I heard of a method about making a disk partition and putting your files on that then resetting windows but Im not sure if that works or not. I'd like to know any ways of doing without cost instead of going out and buying a external unit and just using that
Mister Spoo

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: Is it possible to system restore and keep certain files?

Unread postby NonSuch » July 21st, 2015, 7:28 pm

Yes, it's possible to create a partition and use it for backing up your files. However, mishaps can occur when working with partitions, and unless you have some experience working with partitions, I would advise you to avoid that method for backing up your files prior to doing factory reset. Instead, I would suggest you use a flash drive for file storage. Most flash drives are pretty inexpensive these days, and it would be a simple matter to backup your files and then do your factory reset.

Something like this flash drive for example, should be more than ample for your needs.
NonSuch
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby Gary R » July 22nd, 2015, 12:59 am

If you're using a "genuine Microsoft installation disk" to reformat, then as NonSuch says, yes you could create a new partition.

However, if your machine is an OEM computer (ie a mass produced machine by one of the big computer companies) then a "return to factory" reset will probably re-partition your drive back to its "from factory" condition when it re-formats, in which case you will lose your new partition and your backups.

In any case, it's not a good idea to back up your files to a different partition on the same drive that they are already on, because if your drive develops a fault, then you've lost both your files and your backups. It's infinitely preferable to make any backup copies to detachable media.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby Mister Spoo » July 22nd, 2015, 1:28 am

So in all the best bet is to get another HDD or external unit?
Mister Spoo

Unread postby Gary R » July 22nd, 2015, 1:40 am

An external drive is the best option, and dependant on the amount of files you need to backup, they can be quite cheap.

As NonSuch has indicated, a 32GByte flash drive can cost as little as $10, and if you need a lot of disk space, then a 320GByte plug in drive can be picked up for around $30-$40 ... http://www.amazon.com/Bipra-Drive-320GB ... hard+drive
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Advertisement
Register to Remove