Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

"You have a problem with your Windows Computer" Phone call

Troubleshooting issues with software, including all version of Windows.

"You have a problem with your Windows Computer" Phone call

Unread postby Mr Onion » May 28th, 2015, 7:01 am

Yes, I had another one of them today, but this time the idiot was thick enough to not block the telephone number.

Action fraud has been given it :D Lets hope that they get the little b&*£$&^s

The scum was on 01603 616409 in case you get one

Action Fraud 0300 123 2040
Mr Onion

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: "You have a problem with your Windows Computer" Phone ca

Unread postby Gary R » May 28th, 2015, 9:39 am

I haven't, but I've got relatives who have, and if I hadn't repeatedly told them that any phone calls of this type are scams, then I know for a fact that at least one of them would have been scammed.

They still ask me if I'm absolutely sure that it's a scam ...

Relative: But they sound so believable Gary.

Me: Yes, well they would wouldn't they .... they're con men. :roll:
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby Wingman » May 28th, 2015, 9:50 am

Haven't had any of these type but it may take time for the scammers to target US residence.
Wingman
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby Mr Onion » May 28th, 2015, 11:05 am

The lass I spoke to said that she couldn't believe the number that do fall for it, then they get remote access to your PC, steal anything and everything worth stealing, lock your PC and get you to pay to unlock it.
Mr Onion

Unread postby Gary R » May 28th, 2015, 11:17 am

Oh yes, they have all sorts of ways of extracting money from the foolish and gullible people that fall for their patter.

What everyone needs to know, and which some people seem to have a great deal of trouble in believing, is that ....

No legit company will ever cold call you in this manner, and that anyone who phones you up out of the blue telling you your computer is infected or faulty, and asking for information about it, or asking you to give them access to it, IS A CONMAN/FRAUDSTER
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby Wingman » May 29th, 2015, 9:36 am

Come to think of it... about a month ago I got a call (I screen all calls on the answering machine first) saying there was a problem with my version of Windows and I should call some number to determine how to resolve the issue.
My son was concerned and asked me "What are you going to do?" I said "Nothing... Microsoft will never "call" anyone saying there was a problem. They are the only ones that would be concerned about my "version" of Windows... I know my version of Windows is legit, so it's a fishing call, looking for people to fall for some scam."
Wingman
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby NonSuch » May 29th, 2015, 4:50 pm

US residents have been receiving these calls for several years now. One of their ploys is to pretend they are either from Microsoft or have been referred to the resident by Microsoft. Then they instruct the computer user on how to go to the event log and look for errors (there will always be error notices in the event log) and then they offer to take remote control of the computer and clear up those terrible "malware induced" errors for a price. (This is when they ask for a credit card number.) People don't seen to understand that Microsoft has no magic way to know what's going on with every computer that's running a Windows OS, and Microsoft doesn't call people or have another company call people. The only time Microsoft will call someone is if they're returning that person's call.

I've been hoping to get a call from one of these characters. I plan on telling them that my husband won't permit a computer in our house, and then I'll launch into a spiel about the evils of computers and other electronic devices and the rays they emit, not to mention the evil chips that THEY are putting in credit cards these days, which is why we refuse to own one. :lol: :D
NonSuch
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby Mr Onion » May 30th, 2015, 5:33 am

I have a friend who passes these type of calls onto her husband, who answers them in Welsh :lol:

Someone else I know (he's 93) puts on his oldest voice and acts a bit thick.

"The computer is upstairs, I'll go and check"

Then leaves the phone on the side and reads the paper. 10 min later he'll pick it up and say:-

"What did you want me to do?"

... and so on until they get fed up with him.

Endless entertainment in the right hands
Mr Onion

Unread postby NonSuch » May 30th, 2015, 3:58 pm

It is funny when the tables are turned against these crooks, but it's really a shame that so many people have been bilked by these fraudsters, most of whom seem to be located in countries outside those they are calling.
NonSuch
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby Gary R » May 31st, 2015, 1:56 am

Isn't it funny that the phone companies all seem reluctant to deal with these fraudsters, you would have thought it would be easy to place call bans on the lines used by the offenders. Yet despite the fact that most of these type of scams come through the same, well known, out of country call centres, and have done for years, they persist.

You don't suppose by any chance that it's because the phone companies derive a great deal of money from all the calls they generate do you ?
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby NonSuch » May 31st, 2015, 2:37 am

Aw shucks no, Gary. Money couldn't possibly be the motivation for the lack of action by the phone companies. :roll: :D
NonSuch
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby Wingman » May 31st, 2015, 8:41 am

Some time ago, there was a post deal with a scammer or a telemarketer calling a number and the person who answered the phone pretended to be a police officer, investigating a homicide in the house. Then started grilling the caller as to how they knew the victim, etc, etc... very funny.
Wingman
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby Mr Onion » May 31st, 2015, 9:08 am

Theres a recording floating around the interweb where this chap got a 'you have won a fully inclusive holiday' scam call

He played them along :-

So, what is included?

Everything

Everything? Really?

Yes, everything

Drinks?

Yes

Food?

Yes

Entertainment?

Yes

Hookers?

Pardon?

I said Hookers

Did you say hookers?

Yes, I always have hookers on holiday, usually a couple a night ...

... and so on Brilliant
Mr Onion

Advertisement
Register to Remove