Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

advise on appropriate Avast free version for Windows XP

Troubleshooting issues with software, including all version of Windows.

advise on appropriate Avast free version for Windows XP

Unread postby P;3 » January 6th, 2015, 3:03 pm

May I please ask ; I have Windows XP running

( I am aware the Windows XP is no longer suppoted by MIcrosoft updates )

and have Avast free

program version

2014-9-0-2021

current version 150106-1

The program says that there is a newer version 215-10-0-2208

the present version seems to be taking on engine updates but I do wonder if the newer version is compatible with XP or will it upset the running of the machine and how xp Functions?

Should I remian with the current program version or risk taking on the program update ?

Thanks for any input :!:

Or is there a lnk to an newer EXE for Avast free for me to consider ?
P;3

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: advise on appropriate Avast free version for Windows XP

Unread postby Gary R » January 6th, 2015, 6:31 pm

As you're using XP, it doesn't really matter which version of Avast you use, your computer will not be secure.

An unsupported OS is an unpatched OS, and no AV can secure an unpatched system. Updating Avast will not change that fact.

If you're using XP then your computer is a security risk ...... period.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Re: advise on appropriate Avast free version for Windows XP

Unread postby Wingman » January 8th, 2015, 10:54 am

According to the download link at CNET... the 2015 version of avast! is still compatible with Windows XP: http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-Ant ... 19223.html although some new features may not work or function because the old OS can't support them.

However, like Gary stated using an unsupported OS is a major security risk and even the latest version of avast! (or any other AV product) will not prevent infections or malicious software installs, that use vulnerabilities found in the un-patched OS software.

You're better off looking into obtaining a supported version of Windows FIRST... then looking into an AV program.
Using an unsupported version of Windows is never a good idea. If you must use an old outdated OS... it should not be on a computer connected to the Internet or part of a network that does connect to the Internet. You risk infecting all connected computers and only invite serious problems.
Wingman
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher