Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

W8.1 64 Right Click error

Troubleshooting issues with software, including all version of Windows.

W8.1 64 Right Click error

Unread postby Mr Onion » November 17th, 2014, 7:14 am

I have suddenly got a right click error, which I assume must have been caused by one of last weeks updates. Rather than go through them one by one, I thought I'd ask here first to see if anyone knows whats caused it.

If I right click on the desktop or a folder I get the usual 'right click' dialogue. Files are a different matter. Notepad is OK, but images and audio files do a brief 'flash' but no dialogue. Sometimes double right clicking brings it up, but not always.

It was working correctly last week, but not yesterday or today. Other than that I can't say exactly when it started. All the searches I have made on the web do not cover this error.

TiA
Mr Onion

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: W8.1 64 Right Click error

Unread postby Wingman » November 17th, 2014, 12:03 pm

I am using Windows 8.1 x64 and installed the updates last week and I am having no oroblems.
Here is an article regarding troubleshootinng the right click context menu: http://www.online-tech-tips.com/windows ... text-menu/

If you decide to make registry changes, please make sure you create a System Restore Point, Please see:
Have you BACKED UP your registry? wrote:Registry Warning: Before making registry changes! Create a Windows 8 System Restore point.
Modifying the registry incorrectly, can cause problems requiring you to reinstall your operating system. We cannot guarantee problems resulting from the -improper- modifications to the registry can be solved. If you do not have experience with the system registry, do not attempt to make changes on your own.
or create a registry backup using Tweeking.com's Registry Backup or TCRB
Wingman
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby Mr Onion » November 17th, 2014, 12:12 pm

Thanks for letting me know that yours is OK. I'll use Acronis to 'roll back' to last week and start over with the updates and see if that solves it.
Mr Onion

Unread postby Mr Onion » November 18th, 2014, 10:49 am

I've done some 'roll backs' and installs, and I have found the culprit. Though I have no idea why its happening.

My wife uses TMG 8.04 from http://www.whollygenes.com/ for family genealogy. Updating it to the latest 8.08 and the right click errors. Uninstalling any version of TMG 8 and the right click error remains. Rolling back to a 8.04 install, and the right click works OK. TMG 9 produces the same error.

Very odd
Mr Onion

Unread postby Wingman » November 19th, 2014, 10:21 am

TMG is being discontinued and "official" support will stop, by the end of this year.
I'm not sure if there would be an easy "conversion" of information from one program to another but the fact that it will no longer be supported or updated could be a security risk.

http://blog.eogn.com/2014/07/29/the-mas ... continued/

http://www.whollygenes.com/Merchant2/me ... screen=TMG
The Master Genealogist (TMG) has been discontinued. Official technical support will be discontinued on 31 Dec 2014 but user-to-user support will remain available on the Community Forum and TMG-L discussion list, among other online resources.

For the time being, the product and updates will remain available in the interest of researchers who want to communicate their data to family members or upgrade to the latest version. It is made available with the understanding that, while there may be additional bug fixes before the end of the year, there will be no more development of new features.

See the newsletter for more information.

http://genealogy-software-review.topten ... eview.html
Editor’s Note: This product has been removed from our side-by-side comparison because it has been discontinued. You can still read our original review below, but Top Ten Reviews is no longer updating this product’s information.

A comparison of various genealogy software: http://genealogy-software-review.toptenreviews.com/
Wingman
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby Mr Onion » November 19th, 2014, 12:06 pm

Yes, we became aware of this just this week. The 'problem' is that this is the most comprehensive geneology program that is available in a UK format. Most are US only, which causes some input problems.

The program is only run on a local machine and does not rerquire internet access to operate, so should not post a security problem. If I can get it working properly that is.
Mr Onion

Unread postby Mr Onion » November 20th, 2014, 6:01 am

After much uninstalling/installing/swearing it turns out it was a combination of errors.

TMG v8.04 worked without error

ACDSee Pro 8 (which I upgraded to when I reinstalled the SSD) worked without error

The 2 programs together caused the problem. I have used http://www.online-tech-tips.com/windows ... text-menu/ that you linked earlier, and discovered that disabling PicaView from the right click menu solved the problem. Not a problem as I never use it anyway

Thanks for the help and pointing me in the right direction
Mr Onion

Unread postby Wingman » November 20th, 2014, 10:47 am

You're welcome :)
Sometimes all it takes is one bad entry in the context menu to mess the entire (right-click) menu function up.
Good job determining what needed to be disabled.

You should create a System Restore Point now... to preserve the registry settings.
Wingman
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby Mr Onion » November 20th, 2014, 11:13 am

System restore is taken care of with Acronis Backup.
Mr Onion

Unread postby Wingman » November 20th, 2014, 11:33 am

:thumbleft: Just wanted to make sure you have a way to restore, in case you need it.
Safety first! Good luck. ;)
Wingman
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Advertisement
Register to Remove