Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

MSE status indication after XP support ends.

Troubleshooting issues with software, including all version of Windows.

MSE status indication after XP support ends.

Unread postby frerom » April 15th, 2014, 3:45 pm

Hi,
RE " Microsoft will continue to provide updates to our antimalware signatures and engine for Windows XP users through July 14, 2015."
Will there be a default indication for the MSE computer status indication between now and July 14, 2015.
I have one that indicates red (at risk) and one that indicates green (protected). Both computers recently scanned (1 on April 13 and 1 on April 15) with no problems found.
frerom

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: MSE status indication after XP support ends.

Unread postby NonSuch » April 15th, 2014, 5:06 pm

I'm not quite sure what you're asking here:

Will there be a default indication for the MSE computer status indication between now and July 14, 2015.

If you're asking if MSE will continue to warn you that your XP machine is at risk, the answer is yes.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/prot ... 2a49a11a22

Aside from that, if/when MSE's icon is red, you need to open the program's interface in order to see why it's giving you a red alert, and then address the issue. Don't automatically assume that it's red only because of the XP alert, there could be something else amiss as well.
NonSuch
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby frerom » April 15th, 2014, 7:47 pm

Hi Non Such

Sorry I just read your reference. Thank you

So the icon should never appear green after April 8.

I have a computer where the icon is still green even though I get an initial warning re end of support when I log on. I will review the updates and see if there is something missing.

The other reason I ask is, on April 11 my wife brought my attention to an MSE alert that her computer was infected with a severe virus "Exploit:JS/Meadgive.c".
MSE had the folowing file " temp int files\content.IE5CW6H7GXk|ranalyzer3.htm in quarantine.
and MSE asked me to send them a file that was on the administrator's desktop.

My gut feeling was that it was the beginning of a phishing scam. This is the first time MSE found any virus on any of our computers.

Since Microsoft ended support why would they want a file?

Anyway I was able to delete the file with MSE and I didn't bother sending the file.
Rescanning the computer with MSE shows no infections.

Fred
frerom

Unread postby frerom » April 15th, 2014, 9:54 pm

Hi NonSuch,

Re "I have a computer where the icon is still green even though I get an initial warning re end of support when I log on. I will review the updates and see if there is something missing."

Windows update stated computer was up to date. No essential updates missing.
Checking the MSE version in "Control Panel add/remove) version 4.3.219 was installed and hardly used.
Somehow I managed to find and download KB2949787 version 4.5.216. Installed the update.
MSE ICON IS NOW RED.

Still would appreciate your comments whether Microsoft would ask user to send a file.

Fred
frerom

Unread postby NonSuch » April 16th, 2014, 2:58 am

frerom wrote:Re "I have a computer where the icon is still green even though I get an initial warning re end of support when I log on. I will review the updates and see if there is something missing."

Windows update stated computer was up to date. No essential updates missing.
Checking the MSE version in "Control Panel add/remove) version 4.3.219 was installed and hardly used.
Somehow I managed to find and download KB2949787 version 4.5.216. Installed the update.
MSE ICON IS NOW RED.

I am just guessing here, Fred, but it seems likely that the update you installed has updated the status of the icon, e.g., updated it so that it now shows red.

frerom wrote:Still would appreciate your comments whether Microsoft would ask user to send a file.

It is not at all unusual for an anti-virus program to automatically request submission of an infected file that it has detected and quarantined, so that file can be analyzed. This file is obviously not an XP file... MSE has quarantined what it determined to be a bad file. That file may well have been something quite capable of infecting other Windows operating systems, and not just limited to infecting Windows XP systems.

If you have not yet read this helpful article, Windows XP - The Elephant In The Room, I suggest you spend some time looking it over. It contains a lot of good information and presents various alternatives for the reader's consideration.
NonSuch
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby Gary R » April 16th, 2014, 4:01 am

You might also find this article to be informative ... http://mashable.com/2014/04/08/windows- ... or-switch/
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Return to Software Support (including Windows)