Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

WINXP-Kb2310138 defn 1.161.2037 causes update torun forever

Troubleshooting issues with software, including all version of Windows.

WINXP-Kb2310138 defn 1.161.2037 causes update torun forever

Unread postby frerom » November 13th, 2013, 10:42 am

Turned on my computer today and after I logged on I noticed that the cpu was running at 50%. Usually it's because of MSMPeng.exe system which continues for a few minutes. But today SVCHOST.exe system is running at 50% and will not slow down.
I made some changes with autoruns yesterday which I believe is not a problem since I did restart the computer after the changes and did not notice a problem. I noticed that the above definition update was installed on NOV 13, that is this morning.
I've disabled automatic updates and this returned the cpu to 0%.
I'm planning to do a restore to a previous date but I thought I should ask for some help re the heavy cpu usage by windows update. in this forum first. I have 2 other computers which update much faster. I've checked online and the usual remark is that there is a conflict with other security software. In this case I used autorun to turn off MBAM scedule.
frerom

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: WINXP-Kb2310138 defn 1.161.2037 causes update torun for

Unread postby frerom » November 13th, 2013, 1:17 pm

I believe my problem was due to the latest package of updates from Microsoft. When I turned off the computer I noticed the automatic update message stating that 1 of 6 updates are installing and computer will turn off once completed.
When I rebooted, the computer is operating normally.
Due to my location my internet download speed is quite slow. This probably magnifies the problems when automatic updates is on. You can delete the post if you want but it may help some individual.
frerom

Re: WINXP-Kb2310138 defn 1.161.2037 causes update torun for

Unread postby NonSuch » November 14th, 2013, 4:37 am

Thank you for letting us know your issue is resolved. :)
NonSuch
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Software Support (including Windows)