I made some changes with autoruns yesterday which I believe is not a problem since I did restart the computer after the changes and did not notice a problem. I noticed that the above definition update was installed on NOV 13, that is this morning.
I've disabled automatic updates and this returned the cpu to 0%.
I'm planning to do a restore to a previous date but I thought I should ask for some help re the heavy cpu usage by windows update. in this forum first. I have 2 other computers which update much faster. I've checked online and the usual remark is that there is a conflict with other security software. In this case I used autorun to turn off MBAM scedule.