Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

There must be an easy fix to this

Troubleshooting issues with software, including all version of Windows.

There must be an easy fix to this

Unread postby tallin » January 19th, 2013, 5:01 pm

I work voluntarily on a few forums.

Since using Chrome (Windows 7) when I get an email notification that someone has replied to a post and click on the site included in the email to access the OP's reply, all I get is a page opening in Chrome with 'untitled' as the heading.

My way around this is to right click on the link in the email > copy shortcut > open Chrome > paste and the site loads. Can anyone guide me to a fix for this annoying issue as I really like Chrome and do not want to change browsers.

If I have Chrome open and click on the OP's link in the email the link will load.

My older laptop using XP and Chrome opens the links in the emails whether I have
Chrome open or not!

I have posted this request on other forums with no fix to the issue. One of which is http://www.suggestafix.com/index.php?sh ... 37210&hl=#

This issue is not serious enough to create a new profile so I have not done that.

Thank you,

kind regards,
tallin

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: There must be an easy fix to this

Unread postby deltalima » January 19th, 2013, 5:24 pm

The first test I would do is try with another browser. Install Firefox and set it as default then check if the email links open.
deltalima
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby tallin » January 19th, 2013, 5:41 pm

Thank you for replying.

I have IE 9 as my second browser and have tested with it and the OP link loads normally. I am running the latest Chrome browser, however this issue also happened with earlier Chrome Browsers.

kind regards,
tallin

Unread postby deltalima » January 19th, 2013, 5:47 pm

There are instructions here to manually remove Chrome and all the user settings.

Try that then reboot then reinstall Chrome then test.
deltalima
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby tallin » January 19th, 2013, 11:26 pm

I am loathe to do any registry changes, although I did backup the registry and attempt to manually uninstal Chrome. The saved to desktop file "remove.reg" (without quotes) would not allow me to change anything at all. Please view attachment. I firstly created a system restore and a registry backup.

I have already uninstalled Chrome twice, once through start > Chrome uninstal, and reinstalled it and once with Revo uninstaller, but get the same issue as my first post stated.

Thank you for assisting with this, however whilst I would dearly love to know why Chrome is refusing to open these links, the situation is not that serious for me to be changing registry entries.

kind regards,

remove.reg error.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tallin

Unread postby tallin » January 30th, 2013, 12:37 am

Update on my research to solve my issue in post #1

When researching my issue more, I have found that the only fix is to install a 64-bit version of Chrome in Program files (Windows 7) if there is one and to date there is not one available.

By default Chrome is installed in
C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

The Chrome installer naturally binds into one to install its browser on 32-bit and 64-bit. There is currently no 64 bit version of Chrome, and there are zero issues running the 32 bit version on a 64 bit system so a 64-bit Chrome browser would be very unlikely.

kind regards,
tallin

Unread postby tallin » February 8th, 2013, 6:53 pm

Finally found the answer to this issue.

As follows:

Start > All Programs > Expand Chrome > right click on Chrome.exe > Properties > Compatibility > enable "Run this program in compatibility mode" > In the drop down menu choose Windows 7 > apply > OK. Mine was set on Windows XP but of course I am using Windows 7.

You would need to choose whichever operating system you are using of course.

kind regards, :cheers:
tallin

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Return to Software Support (including Windows)