Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Upgraded windows 7 boot issue

Troubleshooting issues with software, including all version of Windows.

Upgraded windows 7 boot issue

Unread postby Bascotie » November 26th, 2012, 8:14 pm

Hi guys,

I was working on a computer that needed a new power supply (that's another story), but anyway, I went ahead and replaced it and everything is fine. I reset the bios and now Windows 7 will not boot. I tried using a windows 7 home premium disk to boot up (f8 repair option is gone) and run some bootrec commands which found 2 installations (windows.old and windows) both of which I have added.

If I try to boot from the 'old' installation, it boots up but never logs in.

If I try to boot from the CORRECT installation, it says "windows failed to load because the nls data is missing, or corrupt".

I tried going into the bios and changed IDE to AHCI and vice versa, thinking maybe setting the bios to default settings threw it off, but i get the same issue. Any ideas?
Bascotie

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: Upgraded windows 7 boot issue

Unread postby deltalima » November 27th, 2012, 5:57 pm

How did the power supply fail? If it died when the computer was in use there could have been a head crash that damaged to boot sector.

If you need to get up and running then probably the quickest way would be to reinstall Windows.
deltalima
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: Upgraded windows 7 boot issue

Unread postby Bascotie » November 27th, 2012, 6:05 pm

Just ended up doing a windows reinstall. I tried a chkdisk, sfc scannow, manually copying the nls files (which got me past the windows logo and into a blue screen saying the software may have to be reinstalled).

I reformatted it and it's working now. the system was working fine, i had just swapped out the power supply after some random shutdowns that I believe I traced back to a 4pin connector being used in an 8pin connector cpu slot. thanks
Bascotie