Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

seeking advice about how to update AVG

Troubleshooting issues with software, including all version of Windows.

seeking advice about how to update AVG

Unread postby Rupert » February 21st, 2012, 3:55 am

I'm using a laptop with Windows Vista Home Basic and the Security Centre is telling me that I need to update my copy of AVG Anti Virus Free but when I click the update button I get an error message saying that the program that AVG Anti Virus Free has given to the Security Centre won't run. I was wondering if anyone has any idea what is the best thing to do about this problem.
Rupert

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: seeking advice about how to update AVG

Unread postby NonSuch » February 22nd, 2012, 5:00 pm

If AVG has been installed for some time and has been working correctly up until now, there are multiple possibilities...

If you think your computer has been infected by malware, then you should follow the instructions for posting a DDS log in the Malware Removal room.

If your computer is otherwise operating normally and you have no reason to suspect a malware infection, then the issue may simply be a problem with AVG. If that is the case, you may wish to consider selecting and downloading a different free antivirus program such as Microsoft Security Essentials. After downloading the new antivirus, uninstall AVG, restart your computer, and then install the new antivirus.

If you encounter difficulty removing AVG, then you can use AVG's AV removal tool for 32 bit systems or AVG's AV removal tool for 64 bit systems.

If you are not sure whether you have a 32 bit or 64 bit system, just go to Control Panel > click on System and a window will open with information for your computer's operating system.

If your preference is to keep AVG, and you do not feel your problem is related to a malware infection, then you may wish to troubleshoot your AVG problem at AVG's forums.
NonSuch
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Software Support (including Windows)