Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Virtual PC and XP Home

Troubleshooting issues with software, including all version of Windows.

Virtual PC and XP Home

Unread postby GS2 » August 17th, 2006, 6:09 pm

Well just installed Virtual PC on my Xp home, and though it isn't supported officially, I have had minor problems. The installation was extremely easy, if time consuming. Just used the setup.exe file for Virtual PC, and then an XP SP2 OS disc to install the OS.

When running the VPC it did shutdown my Jetico Firewall and Avast antivirus on my host OS, I was able to activiate the Jetico firewall again - but not the anti-virus. Ewido and Winpatrol were not affected, but that was after my first try - issues may be resolved when I run it again.

Apart from having to setup the VPC to enable it to connect to the internet, everything else was fine. Looking forward to trying other OS's in the future.

Just a quick question would Windows Vista Beta run with XP as the host OS ?

Here are the stats for my host pc:

2.40GHz Celeron
760 RAM
VPC Image file 1.23GB with fresh install of XP OS

VPC is set to use 257MB RAM

There is some slowness - as it is ultimately an emulator of sorts, but it is manageable. My host pc uses between 20-30% CPU when running the VPC, though this increases when the load increases (loading apps etc).
GS2

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby ChrisRLG » August 17th, 2006, 6:25 pm

Some people have found winXP Home as the host to fail - so I am happy it is working for you.

Yes the vista beta will run in VPC with XP as the host - BUT - it does need some updated files I beleive, I am not running it myself yet.
ChrisRLG
Administrator Emeritus

Unread postby GS2 » August 17th, 2006, 6:39 pm

Well fingers crossed Chris hopefully Xp Home will keep going. I'm interested in trying out Vista because I'm curious, but it seems it can take hours to set up:

http://vpc.visualwin.com/

Just found it with Google ;)
GS2

Unread postby GS2 » August 31st, 2006, 2:58 am

Just installed Ubuntu 6.06.1-desktop-i386 as a virtual OS. Was able to load from the downloaded iso image using the guide from this page:
Ubuntu Community Docs. So it was handy not having to burn to cd.

The only issue is sound, which I have yet to configure. However the desktop is very easy to use, and runs well on the VPC. Had to configure the Video using 'pico xorg.conf', using the command line, but again pretty easy and was exactly as the guide explained.

I must admit I'm very tempted to try this on my host pc - not sure I'm going to need Vista :D

Size of Virtual HD is 2.85GB
GS2

Unread postby ChrisRLG » August 31st, 2006, 4:07 am

:)
ChrisRLG
Administrator Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Return to Software Support (including Windows)