Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Why are there no posts in bump forum?

Please leave any suggestions and requests here - NO HIJACKTHIS LOGS

Why are there no posts in bump forum?

Unread postby dtheall » July 21st, 2008, 6:42 am

I bumped my topic today. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32772

I'm the only one in there, which makes me think something's up and I don't know about it? There are other posts with 0 replies for longer than 3 days.
Either I looked at it wrong and THINK I'm the only one in there. Or something has changed about your process and I don't know about it.
dtheall

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: Why are there no posts in bump forum?

Unread postby Bio-Hazard » July 21st, 2008, 6:54 am

dtheall wrote:I bumped my topic today. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32772

I'm the only one in there, which makes me think something's up and I don't know about it? There are other posts with 0 replies for longer than 3 days.
Either I looked at it wrong and THINK I'm the only one in there. Or something has changed about your process and I don't know about it.

It is correct, there are no other post than your one. It is up to user to post there when they havent received reply to their topic in 72 hours. Some cases people post into several forums and get reply om another forum and forgets rest. Or something else happens, real life issues and so on.

You have done the right thing by posting there. hopefully you get a reply soon :)
Bio-Hazard
MRU Master Emeritus

Unread postby dtheall » July 21st, 2008, 7:45 am

Wow I feel so unique and.....well, a little lonely!! :D Hard to believe no one else is bumping but ok! I hope I get an answer soon too.....so tired of dealing with the constant computer/internet/hardware problems. I feel like I spend more time scanning, fixing, worrying, searching, dealing with new problems than just doing what I need to do.

No computers or internet in my next life!!!! Unfortunately, I'm dependent on them in this one.
dtheall

Unread postby Bv202 » July 21st, 2008, 8:00 am

Once you receive a reply, your bump topic will be archived/deleted (not sure).
That's the reason your the only one there :)
Bv202

Unread postby ChrisRLG » July 21st, 2008, 12:22 pm

dtheall

The students and experts are asked to take the topics from that room first. Mostly because we know that you are more likely to respond, just because you have posted to that room.

But we do limit how many new topics an undergrad is able to handle at anyone time, so they have to wait till they have cleaned one topic before starting another once they are at thier limit.

Undergrads when learning will also 'pick and choose' topics they are happy to deal with. EG if they recognise an infection they may well be happier in picking that topic as they know the answer (or hope they do). Also those topics that look clean, are sometimes the hardest to find a problem with, some students try not to pick those sort.

Our experts (and students) actually work about 15-20 forums, and most of those forums have longer wait times than here, so they may well pick up 'clients/victims' from other boards when they have a space/time to do some, rather than from here, at least untill those topics get older.

We do archive the topics in that room, which is why it is hopefully always empty.

That being so, I am hopefull that one of the staff will be with you shortly.
ChrisRLG
Administrator Emeritus

Unread postby dtheall » July 21st, 2008, 5:31 pm

Thanks I hope to hear from someone soon! I'm quite anxious.
dtheall

Unread postby ChrisRLG » July 22nd, 2008, 4:36 am

Looks like you have your expert assisting you.

===

I did notice you are using two toolbars for IE which to a great extent duplicate each other. Also that one of them is installed as part of the install from AVG8 free (The Ask Toolbar). The other looks like you installed on your own (Google).

Java looks to be a problem too, it may well have been the infection vector. The expert will give you advice on that issue at some time.
ChrisRLG
Administrator Emeritus

Unread postby dtheall » July 22nd, 2008, 8:26 pm

Hi. I removed the ASK toolbar on Carolyn's advice. She hasn't said anything about Java, I was going to remove the last update - what problem had you noticed with Java? I'll get rid of all extra toolbars.
dtheall

Unread postby ChrisRLG » July 23rd, 2008, 3:49 am

The Sun Java problem is one caused by Sun.

They check for updates, and install the updates when found, but never remove old versions, such that you still have older versions installed, even if you have the latest version installed.

Programs are able to 'call' for the version of Java they would like, so malware has been written to call old vulnerable versions of Sun Java, so they can use that as a vector to install malware on your machine.

Some corporate software has been written such that it insists on using particular versions of Java. Bad programing. But because of that Sun decided to leave vulnerable versions on people machines, instead of getting the companies who program java applications to do it better.

The current latest version is 1.6.7, any other versions are suspect as being vulnerable, so could be used to infect your computer.
ChrisRLG
Administrator Emeritus

Unread postby dtheall » July 23rd, 2008, 6:20 am

I thought you meant that. I had read about it and try to keep up with removing older versions, but I don't always do it immediately. I periodically run Secunia, which will check for all older versions of programs. thanks!! Donna
dtheall

Unread postby Carolyn » July 23rd, 2008, 12:52 pm

Hi Donna,

I prefer to update Java and remove older versions after we are certain that the computer is clean. :)
Carolyn
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby dtheall » July 23rd, 2008, 1:12 pm

Carolyn I only asked about it here because it was mentioned but I'll follow your instructions in the Malware forum only. Didn't mean to offend you and my apologies if I did.
dtheall

Unread postby Carolyn » July 23rd, 2008, 1:28 pm

Oh, I wasn't offended Donna. :) I was just adding my 2 cents. :lol:
Carolyn
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Return to Suggestions and Requests