Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

I'd like some advice!

Please leave any suggestions and requests here - NO HIJACKTHIS LOGS

I'd like some advice!

Unread postby veribaka » January 23rd, 2008, 8:13 am

I believe my machine is currently clean. I install all critical and recommended windows updates, use firefox, Noscript addon, don't open fishy looking e-mails and am very sceptic about new websites safety. I run a Kaspersky AV and Spybot S&D scan once per week. I use Tea Timer and SD Helper.

No, I don't use any firewall (not even windows firewall), and I never had major problems with viruses or spyware.

My question is... should I improve my system security? If so, how can I do it without hogging too many system resources?
veribaka

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: I'd like some advice!

Unread postby Drewcat » January 24th, 2008, 12:42 pm

Hi,

Without a firewall it doesn't matter where you go or what you do. As soon as you connect to the internet you are being hit by probes for attack. You need a good third party firewall, it is essential to security and it doesn't have to hog resources. A firewall like Comodo is a 9mb download and hasn't caused me any slow downs even on dial up.

Many of the infections malware writers make are made so that you don't notice they are there. Of course, if you don't know, you won't fix it, which gives them consistent control of your computer.

Having your computer part of a bot network is not a good thing and is a situation where your lack of security is used to harm other people. People who's computers are taken over for bot networks, don't tend to know this has happened. Which is why these criminals can gather 5000 computers together to attack any company website they wish to cause troubles and shut down. And thats not even to mention if the person who has access to your computer wants your personal information.

The other thing you may or may not know is that some malware can shut down your security programs, yet they continue to look to you like they are functioning.

Without a firewall you are guaranteed to have problems whether you notice them or not. A resident anti virus is also very important. These things are the two most important things besides windows updates!

I suggest you go to the Malware Removal board here and follow the directions to post a log to be looked at. There you will be checked for infections and a helper can recommend programs to you.
Drewcat

Re: I'd like some advice!

Unread postby Cyborg » March 1st, 2008, 10:23 am

COMODO Personal Firewall is a great one.
Download the free version from here : http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/

Also, most of the time, we find script hacks coming in the form of cookies.
Please set your firewall to delete all cookies as soon as you close Firefox.

To set Firefox to delete all cookies as soon as you close it :
  • Open Firefox and click "Tools" and select "Options"
  • Click on the tab "Privacy"
  • Under Cookies, place a check on, "Accept Cookies from sites" and under Keep until, click on the drop-down list and select, "I close Firefox"

It is also important that you download JavaCool's SpywareBlaster, as it helps keep your computer safe from malcious ActiveX controls.
Download SpywareBlaster from : http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

and enable all protection.
Cyborg

Return to Suggestions and Requests