Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Hijack Log

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Unread postby mbresnahan » April 29th, 2005, 8:09 pm

I've completed the last request and here is the hijack this log

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 8:06:47 PM, on 4/29/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\WatchGuard\Mobile User VPN\IreIKE.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\brsvc01a.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\brss01a.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Scansoft\PaperPort\pptd40nt.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\DR. MILLER\Application Data\emia.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony Handheld\HOTSYNC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\PackethSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Brmfrmps.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec_Client_Security\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
C:\Program Files\WatchGuard\Mobile User VPN\IPSecMon.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec_Client_Security\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe
c:\Program Files\interMute\SpySubtract\SpySub.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.sony.com/vaiopeople
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.sony.com/vaiopeople
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.sony.com/vaiopeople
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PaperPort PTD] C:\Program Files\Scansoft\PaperPort\pptd40nt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IndexSearch] C:\Program Files\Scansoft\PaperPort\IndexSearch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SetDefPrt] C:\Program Files\Brother\Brmfl03a\BrStDvPt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PtLiveUpdate] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Pumatech Shared\LiveUpdate Client\PtLUWorker.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Iinl] C:\Documents and Settings\DR. MILLER\Application Data\emia.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HotSync Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\Sony Handheld\HOTSYNC.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: SpySubtract.lnk = C:\Program Files\interMute\SpySubtract\SpySub.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.sony.com/vaiopeople
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004 ... scan53.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{B8C78D52-83E0-4E40-9FE2-3B0A56473692}: NameServer = 68.47.0.5,68.47.0.6
O20 - Winlogon Notify: NavLogon - C:\WINDOWS\System32\NavLogon.dll
O23 - Service: Brother Popup Suspend service for Resource manager (brmfrmps) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Brmfrmps.exe" -service (file missing)
O23 - Service: BrSplService (Brother XP spl Service) - brother Industries Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\System32\brsvc01a.exe
O23 - Service: DefWatch - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec_Client_Security\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
O23 - Service: SafeNet Monitor Service (IPSECMON) - SafeNet - C:\Program Files\WatchGuard\Mobile User VPN\IPSecMon.exe
O23 - Service: SafeNet IKE Service (IreIKE) - SafeNet - C:\Program Files\WatchGuard\Mobile User VPN\IreIKE.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus Client (Norton AntiVirus Server) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec_Client_Security\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
O23 - Service: Virtual NIC Service (PackethSvc) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\System32\PackethSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Sony SPTI Service (SPTISRV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SPTISRV.exe
mbresnahan

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby wng_z3r0 » May 1st, 2005, 1:18 am

Please go to C:\Documents and Settings\DR. MILLER\Application Data\
Then right click on emia.exe
Select properties
What is the comany name, version, etc?
Do you recognize that?

Any symptoms you want to report to me?

Let's just double check:
have you run (and updated) these programs:
1. microsoft antispyware beta
2. adaware
3. spybot
4. cwsredder
5. trend micro

wng
wng_z3r0
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby mbresnahan » May 1st, 2005, 6:58 am

Yes, I have installed, updated, and run all of the above several times and they are coming up clean.

When I check the properties it is missing the version and summary tab so I can't check the version information. Those tabs are missing on all files.

What's up with that.

I googled and got this http://www.cokeburgpa.com/downloads/Ser ... README.txt
"emia.exe - used primarily for checking and retrieving mail off pop3 servers"

My guess is this was used by malware that used it to email whatever info it specified back to it's author???
However it could be a legitimate helper app used by a lazy programmer in a justified program.

Should I delete it? I don't care if it cripples anything I can always reload if it does. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

After you verify this machine clean, should I install service pack 2?
mbresnahan

Unread postby wng_z3r0 » May 1st, 2005, 4:19 pm

Please do the following:

Go here:
C:\Documents and Settings\DR. MILLER\Application Data\
rename emia.exe to emia-old.exe

Then go to HijackThis and place a check next to the following lines:R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Iinl] C:\Documents and Settings\DR. MILLER\Application Data\emia.exe

Then restart your computer and install sp2
wng_z3r0
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby mbresnahan » May 2nd, 2005, 8:08 pm

Wow, what a learning experience. You have been incredibly helpful and I want to thank you. I'll be submitting another one tonight if you want to keep working with me. Thanks again!!!
mbresnahan

Unread postby mbresnahan » May 2nd, 2005, 8:45 pm

one more question please

I have noticed that norton corporate av when a system is infected it takes the shield out of the tray and I'm wondering what happens?
mbresnahan

Unread postby wng_z3r0 » May 2nd, 2005, 11:09 pm

Well, it looks like Kotaguy got your other log :)

ON an infected machine, sometimes spyware finds ways to DISABLE antivirus programs. THis may be the case.

wng
wng_z3r0
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby wng_z3r0 » May 2nd, 2005, 11:17 pm

Since you have cleaned your computer, here are some steps to stay spyware free:
Are you still noticing any problems? If not, it's time to secure your system to prevent against further intrusions.

THESE STEPS ARE VERY IMPORTANT

Lets reset system restore
Reset and Re-enable your System Restore to remove infected files that have been backed up by Windows. The files in System Restore are protected to prevent any programs changing those files. This is the only way to clean these files: You will lose all previous restore points which are likely to be infected. Please note you need Administrator Access to do clean the restore points.

1. Turn off System Restore.
On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

2. Reboot.

3. Turn ON System Restore.
On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
UN-Check *Turn off System Restore*.
Click Apply, and then click OK.
NOTE: only do this ONCE, NOT on a regular basis

We need to re hide system files. To do so, please follow the steps below:
  1. Double-click My Computer.
  2. Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.
  3. Click the View tab.
  4. Put a check by "Hide file extensions for known file types."
  5. Under the "Hidden files" folder, select "Show hidden files and folders."
  6. Check "Hide protected operating system files."
  7. Click Apply, and then click OK.

UPDATING WINDOWS AND INTERNET EXPLORER

IMPORTANT: You Need to Update Windows and Internet Explorer to protect your computer from the malware that is around on the Internet. Please go to the windows update site to get the critical updates.

If you are running Microsoft Office, or any portion thereof, go to the Microsoft's Office Update site and make sure you have at least all the critical updates installed (Free) Microsoft Office Update.

If the service pack 2 download is too large, you can get a FREE copy on cd from microsoft here

Make your Internet Explorer more secure

This can be done by following these simple instructions:
From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
Click once on the Security tab
Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
Click once on the Custom Level button.
Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
Change the allow paste operations via script to Disable
When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

The following are recommended third party programs that are designed to keep your computer clean. A link as well as a brief description is included with each item.

• Download Adaware
    Adaware is a free program. It scans for known spyware on your computer. These scans should be run at least once every two weeks. For more information, see this tutorial
    The program is available for download here
  • Download Spybot
    Spybot is a scanner like adaware. It scans for spyware and other malicious programs. It is important to have both Adaware and Spybot on your computer because each program provides unique detection and pretection measures. Spybot has preventitive tools that stop programs from even installing on your computer.
    To see how to set this up as well as more spybot features, see here
    Spybot can be downloaded at this location
  • Download SpywareBlaster
    Spyware blaster is a program that stops known malicious activex controls from installing on your computer. It works by changing settings in your registry. It makes "kill bits" in the registry, so that certain activex controls can't install.
    If you don't know what activex controls are, see here
    You can download SpywareBlaster here here
  • Download iespyad
    It puts many bad webpages on your restricted zones list. This means that you can still view the "bad" webpages, but the webpages cannot do certain things (such as use javascripts and cookies).
    If you need help understanding how it works, there is a tutorial here
    Download it here
  • hosts file:
    1. Every version of windows has a hosts file as part of them.
    2. In a very basic sense, they are used to locate webpages.
    3. We can customize a hosts file so that it blocks certain webpages.
    4. However, it can slow down certain computers.
    5. This is why using a hosts file is optional!!
    Download it here. Make sure you read the instructions on how to install the hosts file. There is a good tutorial here
    If you decide to download the hosts file, the slowdown problems can usually be avoided by following these steps:
    1. Click the start button (at the lower left hand corner of your screen)
    2. Click run
    3. In the dialog box, type services.msc
    4. hit enter, then locate dns client
    5. Highlight it, then double-click it.
    6. On the dropdown box, change the setting from automatic to manual.
    7. Click ok

• Use an Anti Virus Software - It is very important that your computer has an anti-virus software running on your machine. This alone can save you a lot of trouble with malware in the future. See this link for a listing of some on line & their stand-alone anti virus programs:
    Computer Safety On line - List of free Anti virus programs
  • Update your Anti Virus Software - It is imperative that you update your Anti virus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your anti virus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.
  • Use a Firewall - I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer. Without a firewall your computer is susceptible to being hacked and taken over. Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly. For more info, check this webpage out.
    See here to choose one

Just a final reminder for you. I am trying to stress these two points.
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!!! Make sure you do this about every 1-2 weeks.
Make sure all of your security programs are up to date.
Run the spybot and adaware regularly. (Once or twice a week minimum.)
Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.

Once again, please post and tell me how things are going with your system... problems etc.

[center]Have a great day,
wng B)[/center]

(Parts of all clean speech courtesy of Chris RLG)
wng_z3r0
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Unread postby ChrisRLG » May 20th, 2005, 3:05 pm

Glad we could be of assistance.