Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

'Harmless' email received, computer messed up but cleared.

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

'Harmless' email received, computer messed up but cleared.

Unread postby Electrojim » February 20th, 2020, 7:12 pm

A new member here, just wondering if anyone is into malware analysis enough to want to receive an email I got a bit earlier today that messed up my Windows 10 system. I don't know enough about malware to do any analysis myself, but was hoping that someone might have a test-bed that could determine if the email was at fault.

The mail came from China, and the Subject was simply "JOB." I opened the message, which asked if I was interested in a position in the steel industry (which I am not), and I just closed the email and that was that. At least until I opened my Firefox browser a minute or two later, and before even navigating anywhere I got one of those red-screen notices that I had to call a US toll-free number right away to get rid of a threat. And if that wasn't enough, my keyboard and mouse started behaving erratically. I did manage to open Task Manager, and didn't see any suspicious process running, but by that time the system was totally locked, so I powered it down.

Next time it booted, everything looked normal, and a Windows Security 'quick' scan showed nothing. The browser seems to be working okay, but who knows what might still be lurking. I'm inclined to just go about my business, but have some reservations about just blowing the whole thing off. I figured that someone who knew what they were doing might have suggestions.

Any advice will be most welcome.
Electrojim

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: 'Harmless' email received, computer messed up but cleare

Unread postby pgmigg » February 20th, 2020, 9:17 pm

By posting just a description of your problems it is likely that your topic will be passed by and you will not receive the help you're looking for.

We need to know what's running on your computer so we can give you appropriate instructions.

May I draw your attention to THIS topic, which you should have read, and which tells you what we need you to post so that we can help you.

This topic will now be closed.

If you still need help, please start a new thread with:
  • FRST.txt
  • Addition.txt
  • Details of your problems.

If for any reason you can't run FRST, please let us know in your post.
pgmigg
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher