Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

help my desktop has been deleted!?

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: help my desktop has been deleted!?

Unread postby capnkrunch » December 15th, 2015, 12:53 am

Hello John :)

john2054 wrote:Can we fix this issue with my antivirus software before continuing please?

Thank you for letting me know about this issue. Browsing the web without a working antivirus is an easy way to get infected so we will definitely fix this first.

john2054 wrote:What would you recommend to do this??

The easiest way is to uninstall and reinstall AVG.

Step one...

Uninstall and Reinstall AVG
  • Press the Windows Key + R.
  • Enter appwiz.cpl into the text box and click OK.
  • Locate the following programs:
    AVG
    AVG Protection
  • Press the Uninstall or Uninstall/Change button and carefully follow any prompts to uninstall the program.
    • Take care to read through any prompts completely! Some uninstallers may attempt to trick you into keeping the program.
    • Do this for every program listed.
    • Don't worry if you can't find one of the programs. Just be sure to let me know in your reply.
  • Once finished reboot your computer.

Download the current copy of AVG from HERE. Double-click the instller and follow any prompts to install the program. If you have a paid license you may have to reactivate it.

If the problem persists let me know. Otherwise, we can contiue with ESET. I'd like a new JRT log as well.

Step two...

Junkware Removal Tool (JRT)
  • First, if you already have any copies of JRT.exe delete them.
  • Please download Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) by Malwarebytes.
  • Close all open programs.
  • Right click on JRT.exe and select Run as administrator.
  • When the tool loads press any key to start the scan.
  • When JRT finishes it will open a log in Notepad, JRT.txt. Copy and paste the contents in your reply.

Step three...

ESET Online Scanner
NOTE: ESET Online Scanner can be run from Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Chrome.
  • First please disable any antivirus you have active, as shown in this topic.
  • Close all open programs and windows.
  • Open your browser by right clicking and selecting Run as administrator.
  • Go to the ESET Online Scanner site.
  • Click on the green Run ESET Online Scanner button.
    • If using Firefox or Chrome, you will need to download a small utility.
      Double-click esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to run it.
  • Check the box to agree to the terms of use and click Start.
    • If using Internet Explorer, click Install when prompted to install the add-on.
  • Check Enable detection of of potentially unwanted applications.
  • Click Advanced settings.
  • UNCHECK Remove found threats.
  • Ensure the following are checked:
    • Scan archives
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • Click Start.
  • ESET Online Scanner will download its virus signature database then automatically start the scan.
    The scan will take a while. Please be patient and do not use your computer during the scan. Some people find it best to let the scan run overnight.
  • When the scan completes press the text: Image
  • Press the text: Image then save the file to your desktop as ESETScan.txt.
  • Press the Back button then press the Finish button.
  • Copy and paste the contents of ESETScan.txt in your next reply.
    Note: If no threats are found, there is no option to create a log. Just report back to me there was nothing found.
IMPORTANT: Do not forget to re-enable your antivirus software.

Step four...

Windows 10 by default comes with additional "virtual desktops". Let's check those to see if your icons got moved to one of them.

How To Hide/Show All Icons on the Desktop
  1. Right click or press and hold on your desktop (Shift+F10)
  2. Click/Tap on View
  3. Click/Tap on Show desktop icons to check it (or uncheck if you would like to hide icons) afterwards.
    Note: Existence of mark is system default setting!

Check Alternate Desktops
  • Click on the Task View button Image (it is the right one in this picture).
  • Above the task bar towards the middle of the screen you should see Desktop 1, Desktop 2, etc.
  • Click on each and see if your icons appear in any of them.
  • Once finished click Task View again to return to your Desktop.

Step five...

Please answer this question: how many monitors are connected to your computer?

Please post each log separately to prevent it being cut off by the forum post size limiter.
Check each after you've posted it to make sure it's all present, if any log is cut off you'll have to post it in sections...

In your next reply please include:
  • Did you have any problems with the instructions?
  • JRT.txt
  • ESETScan.txt
  • Was the Show Icons box checked? If not did checking it restore your desktop?
  • Were your icons present on any of the other desktops?
  • An answer to my question about monitors.
  • Are there any changes in computer behavior?
capnkrunch
MRU Master
MRU Master

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby john2054 » December 16th, 2015, 12:34 pm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) by Malwarebytes
Version: 8.0.1 (11.24.2015)
Operating System: Windows 10 Home x64
Ran by john (Administrator) on 16/12/2015 at 16:30:13.44

File System: 0

Registry: 0

Scan was completed on 16/12/2015 at 16:32:47.81
End of JRT log
john2054

Unread postby john2054 » December 16th, 2015, 2:59 pm

ESET identified four threats, but i was tired when i completed this execution. (so i didn't request the log form, also i didn't scan the archives. However, the next step of pressing shift on f10 on the desktop, and then reactivating the icons fixed this problem, thanks for the help.

Btw i have decided to reinstall the avg tuning problem, because despite your reservations, i have found this program to be very useful in the past, and am comfortable that this problem does what it says on the tin, so to speak!

Thanks again, John Robinson
john2054

Unread postby capnkrunch » December 17th, 2015, 1:18 am

john2054 wrote:However, the next step of pressing shift on f10 on the desktop, and then reactivating the icons fixed this problem, thanks for the help.

Great news! I'm glad we were able to resolve your desktop problem. Even if ESET finds nothing that needs fixing we still have some cleanup to do and I have some advice on staying secure to give. These last steps are very important so I would appreciate it if you stick with me through the end.

john2054 wrote:Btw i have decided to reinstall the avg tuning problem, because despite your reservations, i have found this program to be very useful in the past, and am comfortable that this problem does what it says on the tin, so to speak!

I can't say I fully agree with that choice but then it's not mine to make ;) AVG TuneUp Utilities has a number of functions and some of them certainly can be useful. Once again however, I do want to caution you to avoid the registry cleaner function.

It may seem benign especially if you have used it before without issue but we have seen numerous people come here with problems that could not be fixed without reinstalling the OS, caused by registry cleaner programs.

john2054 wrote:ESET identified four threats, but i was tired when i completed this execution. (so i didn't request the log form, also i didn't scan the archives.

This worries me a bit and I don't feel comfortable giving you the All Clean and moving on to the cleanup step without seeing the ESET log. I would appreciate it if you could run the scan again. It might be a good idea to leave it running overnight so you don't have to worry about how long it takes and you can get the log in the morning when you aren't as tired.

Please post each log separately to prevent it being cut off by the forum post size limiter.
Check each after you've posted it to make sure it's all present, if any log is cut off you'll have to post it in sections...

In your next reply please include:
  • Did you have any problems with the instructions?
  • ESETScan.txt
  • Are there any changes in computer behavior?
capnkrunch
MRU Master
MRU Master

Unread postby john2054 » December 17th, 2015, 12:38 pm

They were potential threats, four with google chrome aps and four with my daughter's gaming aps. I have deleted (quarantined) them now so they pose no more of a risk. I think it was simply a case of some bad malware/infected files getting on to the system, and nothing to panic over. I really will be alright from here. Thanks again for the help, John R.
john2054

Unread postby capnkrunch » December 18th, 2015, 3:43 am

john2054 wrote:Thanks again for the help, John R.

You're welcome John. I'm glad we were able to help. :thumbleft:

As everything looks to be in order I'd say it looks like your system is All Clean :cheers:

We do have a bit of cleanup to do and then I have some advice about staying secure. These last steps are very important so please take care to follow the cleanup steps and read through the rest of this post.

Step one...

DelFix
  • Please download DelFix by Xplode and save it to your Desktop.
  • Right click on delfix_*version*.exe and select Run as administrator.
  • Check the following boxes and then click Run:
    • Activate UAC
    • Remove disinfection tools
    • Purge system restore
    • Reset system settings
  • If any logs or programs remain, you may delete them now.
    Note: the one exception is Malwarebytes Anti-Malware which I strongly recommend you keep.

Step two...

When we started I asked you to uninstall an outdated version of Java. Known vulnerabilities in old versions of Java is a major vector for malware to get onto your computer. Since most websites no longer use Java I would recommend leaving it uninstalled. If you later find that you do need Java you can always install the latest version from HERE.

If you find that you do need Java for certain websites, consider disabling it in your main browser and using an alternate browser just for visiting those sites. For how to disable Java in all your browsers or only in specific ones see How do I disable Java in my web browser?

Now that your system is clean, let's talk a little about how you can decrease your risk of becoming reinfected.

Security Programs
  • Antivirus - It is important to have one (and only one) installed, updated and enabled. I would also recommend scheduling a scan for every 1-3 days. AVG is a fine solution and I would stick with it as long as you have a Pro license. If you ever decide you don't want to pay for the license other free options include:
  • Antimalware - During the cleaning I asked you to install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. It is the gold standard for anti-malware and the one tool we used that I would recommend keeping. Keep it updated and run a scan every week or so. The paid version also offers realtime protection.
  • Firewall - The Windows Firewall is enabled by default. Don't turn it off and you are good to go as far as firewall software is concerned.
Note 1: Avast now comes bundled with Google Chrome pre-checked for install, we recommend you to uncheck the option if you decide to install Avast.
Note 2: In Windows 8 and later Microsoft Security Essentials has been renamed Windows Defender is now built into Windows. See Windows Defender - Turn On or Off in Windows 10

Update, update, update
Keep your Antivirus and other software up to date. Consider using a program to assist you.
Secunia Personal Software Inspector - Copyright © Secunia.
FileHippo.com Update Checker - Copyright © FileHippo.com

Keep your operating system fully patched with Windows Update.
Windows Update: Frequently Asked Questions

Additional reading
To help minimize the chances of becoming re-infected, please read.
Computer Security - a short guide to staying safer online

If your computer is running slowly after your clean up, please read.
What to do if your Computer is running slowly

It might be a good idea to bookmark these guides for future reference as well.

Please reply to let me know that you have completed the cleanup step and read the rest of this post. If there's anything else I can help you with please don't hesitate to ask any additional questions.

Stay safe! ;)
capnkrunch
capnkrunch
MRU Master
MRU Master

Unread postby john2054 » December 18th, 2015, 6:09 pm

That's great, thanks for the help.
john2054

Unread postby capnkrunch » December 18th, 2015, 6:44 pm

john2054 wrote:That's great, thanks for the help.

You're very welcome.

Stay safe, ;)
capnkrunch
capnkrunch
MRU Master
MRU Master

Unread postby pgmigg » December 18th, 2015, 7:10 pm

As the problems seem to be resolved, this topic is now closed.

We are pleased we could help you resolve your computer's malware issues.

If you would like to make a comment or leave a compliment regarding the help you have received, please see
Feedback for Our Helpers - Say "Thanks" Here.
pgmigg
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Previous

Return to Infected? Virus, malware, adware, ransomware, oh my!