Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Cannot Start Windows Module Installer or Get Windows Updates

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: Cannot Start Windows Module Installer or Get Windows Upd

Unread postby wannabeageek » November 4th, 2015, 12:16 pm

Hi gman2015,

gman2015 wrote:Unfortunately, no, the folder is empty. I think Advanced Uninstall Pro wiped them out. Lesson learned...
Do you realize your only alternative at this point is to format and reinstall Vista? Lets look at some of the comments from your other posts.

gman2015 wrote:I have run many recommended malware removal tools (you will see in the logs) and followed numerous recommendations but still cannot get this working. WMI won't start, so I cannot run SFC nor install Windows Updates. This is why I think I may be infected. Here are the logs. Thanks for looking into this.
gman2015 wrote:Although I haven't had issues with my NIS, strangely I am unable to disable the firewall or auto-protection. Never had this problem before. I can go in and change the settings but after I apply them, the changes don't take effect, as if I am locked out....
This is why we do not recommend any sort of registry cleaner. NIS, WMI, SFC and Windows Update require several background services/drivers/files to run. When a registry cleaner or uninstaller program makes changes to the operating system the unknown results may impair the operation of any, several, or all programs. Not to mention that it could turn your computer into an expensive door stop.

Without logs or complete backups prior to these changes, recovery is impossible. System restore may not be sufficient as it is not a complete backup. System restore does not back up files that may have been removed by a registry cleaner or uninstaller program. The fact that you now have issues with NIS should be of great concern for the security of your computer. We could easily spend months trying to sort this out and still not fix the issues.
I am truly sorry. There is nothing more I can do.

Here is a link that explains in great detail why Registry Cleaners are not recommended: Do I need a Registry Cleaner?

wbg
wannabeageek
MRU Master
MRU Master

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby gman2015 » November 4th, 2015, 2:32 pm

Thanks for all your help, wbg. I can't say I am surprised by your assessment. I have already been thinking about this and may use it as rationale to move to Windows 10.
For benefit of any readers of this post, I will mention that the tools I used were all recommended via the Microsoft forums. I admit I did find them a pain to navigate through, often with very poor advice. This is why I chose your forum once I discovered it. Had I done so at the beginning of my journey, I might have avoided the mistakes I made.
I am surprised you didn't ask for the results of running MS's SURT. Is it not useful? If not, I will stop relying on it. Here is what it currently shows.
=================================
Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.0.6002.23186
Package Version 25.0
2015-11-04 12:51

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store
(f) CSI Payload File Missing 0x00000000 mf.dll x86_microsoft-windows-mediafoundation_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6002.18392_none_9de65dd00a2f1cb8

Summary:
Seconds executed: 1432
Found 1 errors
CSI Payload File Missing Total count: 1

Checking CoreOS key for repairing corruptions.
Winner version: 6.0.6002.18971.
Processor architecture: x86.
Check key to be repaired: wcm://Microsoft-Windows-CoreOS?version= ... e=allUsers\metadata\elements\ComputerName
Recreated value: @_type.
Recreated value: @dataOnly.
Recreated value: @default.
Recreated value: @description.
Recreated value: @displayName.
Recreated value: @handler.
Recreated value: @legacyName.
Recreated value: @legacyType.
Recreated value: @migrate.
Recreated value: @scope.
Recreated value: @xsd:type.
gman2015

Unread postby wannabeageek » November 4th, 2015, 4:43 pm

Hi gman2015,

gman2015 wrote:Checking CoreOS key for repairing corruptions.
Notice that is only covers the "Core Operating System" for corruption. It does not find out the cause of the corruption. Nor does it address other possible issues related to the corruption; based on what you posted. Cute tool. I would not necessarily use it.

gman2015 wrote:Thanks for all your help, wbg. I can't say I am surprised by your assessment. I have already been thinking about this and may use it as rationale to move to Windows 10.

On this note, I will request the thread to be closed. Glad to have been of service.

wbg
wannabeageek
MRU Master
MRU Master

Unread postby NonSuch » November 4th, 2015, 8:28 pm

As your problems appear to have been resolved, this topic is now closed.

We are pleased we could help you resolve your computer's issues.

If you would like to make a comment or leave a compliment regarding the help you have received, please see Feedback for Our Helpers - Say "Thanks" Here.
NonSuch
Administrator
Administrator

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Previous