Using: Windows 8.1. and Firefox 31.0
Short description: Firefox browser appears to be 'hijacked' by some lavasoft <add bad language here> <use imagination>.
Symptoms and appearance: Symptoms appeared after installing several free software programs for working with PDF files. I find it likely they are related, but would like to keep them and get rid of lavasoft. When using Firefox and typing an invalid url the lavasoft comes up, recently it also launched on 100% valid URLs from other websites (for example Wikipedia). Installed programs include 'Soda PDF 6' and 'PDF split and merge'. Usually I uncheck all toolbars and other garbage but it's possible I missed something or it installed without option.
Note: Internet Explorer appears to be infected as well.
- Checked installed programs on Windows for signs of something that could cause this. Nothing.
- Checked browers plugins and addons. Nothing out of the ordinary.
- Manually changed default start page to google again (via Firefox general tab).
- Tried steps from lavasoft.com to remove SecureSearch (so they call it...). Steps were to type about:config and search for Keyword.url in order to replace it with different search engine. No results on "Keyword.url". (screenshot included)
Thanks in advance, any help or inside is greatly appreciated.
- lavasoft.png -- Image of browser infection in Firefox
- firefoxconfig.png -- Where the Lavasoft steps fail