Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Windows 7 Slow and Utilities Not Running

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: Windows 7 Slow and Utilities Not Running

Unread postby sultan62 » June 17th, 2014, 8:13 am

Kaspersky is also stalling. I've tried to run it a few times, and either the entire computer freezes or the program restarts.
sultan62

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby Gary R » June 17th, 2014, 10:21 am

Without being able to run a scan, we're rather limited in the amount we can do, since we don't have the necessary information to work from.

The infection we've removed so far does not usually exhibit the type of symptoms that you're suffering from.

My gut feeling is that your problems are not being caused by Malware, although it's impossible for me to confirm that because of our inability to run a wide ranging AV scan.

There's something I'd like you to do for me, that may have some effect on your ability to run a scan, but it may equally be ineffective.

First ...

• Click Start, and in the Search programs and files field, type cmd.
  • A list of search finds will open.
  • At the top will be cmd.exe
    • Right click on it and select Run as administrator
  • A command window will open.
    • Type chkdsk c: (note the gap between chkdsk and c:)
    • Hit Enter.
    • Maximise the command window and wait for the scan to finish. This usually takes quite a while.
    • Read the results to see if it says that it found problems with your file system.
  • IF it has found problems with your file system.
    • Type chkdsk c: /F (note the space between chkdsk and c: and between c: and /F)
    • Hit Enter.
    • You will get a message that the volume is locked, and a request to do the repair on Reboot, answer Y
    • Type exit to close the Command window.
    • Go to Start > Turn off Computer and choose Restart
    • On restart, Windows will attempt to fix any problems that it found. This usually takes quite a while.

Tell me what it found originally, and if there were any damaged files, whether Windows was able to fix them.

Next ...

If there was damage to your file system, and Windows was able to fix them, then try running one of the AV scans again and see if you can get a log. No need to try them all, if one fails it seems likely that the others will as well.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby sultan62 » June 18th, 2014, 4:28 pm

It found issues, I ran chkdsk c: /f, restarted, and it appeared to run. It didn't give any kind of report, but it ran and started up Windows as usual. I then tried to run Kaspersky, and it made it quite a bit further than before, but still stalled.
sultan62

Unread postby Gary R » June 18th, 2014, 4:52 pm

OK, lets try checking to make sure your System files are all working and in place.

• Type sfc /scannow (note the gap between sfc and / )
    • Hit Enter.
  • Windows will scan your System files, and attempt to replace any that might be damaged. This can take quite a while.
  • When finished you should see a line saying whether it found any damaged files, and whether it was able to "fix" them. If there were any that could not be repaired on the first pass, try again, sometimes it takes 2 or 3 runs to repair everything.

If any files are found to be damaged, and cannot be repaired, please take note of them and let me know.

Next ...

If any damaged files are found, and they are able to be repaired, then try running an AV scan again.

If no damaged files are found, please let me know.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby sultan62 » June 18th, 2014, 7:35 pm

At "Verification 15% complete.", I got "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."
sultan62

Unread postby Gary R » June 19th, 2014, 1:19 am

Did you try running the command again, and if you did, did it fail at the same point each time ?
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby sultan62 » June 20th, 2014, 1:45 pm

I ran it twice more, and once it stalled at 15% but gave no failure notification, and once it behaved exactly as I described in my last post.
sultan62

Unread postby Gary R » June 21st, 2014, 8:20 am

Well it looks as though you have some fundamental damage to your System, and I'm afraid the only practical solution to that is to backup your personal files and folders, and then reformat your hard drive and re-install Windows.

Trying to analyze and troubleshoot a broken system, with a broken system, is an exercise in futility. We could spend weeks looking for the source of the problem, and still not find it, whereas a "nuke'n'pave" only takes a few hours.

Of course getting you computer back to how it was before you started experiencing your problems, will take a good while longer, but I'm afraid I can't help you there. It's just a matter of reinstalling all the programs and drivers that you use, and re-customising things to your own preferences.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby sultan62 » June 22nd, 2014, 8:32 am

Thanks for the help. I know it was frustrating for me, and I'm guessing it was for you as well.
sultan62

Unread postby NonSuch » June 23rd, 2014, 2:08 am

You're very welcome. We do our best to remove malware whenever possible and return the computer to good working condition. However, we realize that sometimes a reinstall of Windows is the only viable option.

As your problems appear to have been resolved, this topic is now closed.

We are pleased we could help you resolve your computer's issues.

If you would like to make a comment or leave a compliment regarding the help you have received, please see Feedback for Our Helpers - Say "Thanks" Here.
NonSuch
Administrator
Administrator

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Previous