Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Hijacker.Medfos.B

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: Hijacker.Medfos.B

Unread postby MtMercy+ » November 6th, 2013, 7:20 pm

I have done 5 or 6 searches, and so far it is working like suppose to!! Thank you very much for your help. If I ever have a problem again, I won't hesitate to contact you.
One question: By the names of the infections removed, can you tell me how they got through McAfee and into my computer? I joined Facebook in June. Can one get a virus by opening and reading what a "friend" posts?
MtMercy+

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby Gary R » November 6th, 2013, 7:53 pm

Most modern infections get onto a computer because the person using the computer "invited" them in. By that I mean you probably clicked on something that was "disguised" as something else, could be a link in a post or on a webpage, could be malicious html (javascript) code in an e-mail, could be an attachment to an e-mail, the possibilities are endless.

By clicking on an item, you are instigating a "conversation", and therefore your firewall will allow any incoming data from the remote party in that "conversation", if that remote party is malicious then the only thing preventing you getting infected is your anti-virus, and as you've found out, they're not foolproof. None of them are. That doesn't mean they don't protect you, because they do, they just don't protect you against everything. Hardly surprising since 1000s of new infections (or variations on old infections) are created every day, so a "signature" dependant AV is playing catch-up all the time.

Since your problems now appear to have been resolved, it's time to remove the programs we've been using to clean your machine.

First ...

Let's clear out OTL and the files and folders it created.
  • Double click OTL.exe to launch the programme.
  • Click on the CleanUp! button.
  • OTL will download a list from the Internet, if your firewall or other defensive programmes alerts you, allow it access.
  • You will be prompted to allow the clean up procedure, click Yes
  • When finished exit out of OTL
  • Now delete OTL.exe (if still present).

Next ...

Let's clear out ADWCleaner and the files and folders it created.
  • Double click AdwCleaner.exe to run it.
  • Click Uninstall.
  • Click Yes to the prompt.
  • AdwCleaner will close and uninstall itself

Note: If AdwCleaner prompts you an update is available, click Cancel and continue to uninstall.

As far as I can see, your computer looks clear of infection now.

Are you still noticing any problems ?
  • If you are let me know about them.
  • If not it's time to make your computer more secure.

Please read the article below which will give you a few suggestions for how to minimise your chances of getting another infection.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Unread postby MtMercy+ » November 6th, 2013, 8:14 pm

I tried multiple searches, and the one I clicked on is actually the one that comes up! So far, so good. Thank you very much for your help and expertise. I really appreciate it. Jim
I joined Facebook in June. Is it possible that my computer got infected by me reading what my "friends" were posting on facebook?
MtMercy+

Unread postby Gary R » November 7th, 2013, 2:24 am

MtMercy+ wrote:I tried multiple searches, and the one I clicked on is actually the one that comes up! So far, so good. Thank you very much for your help and expertise. I really appreciate it. Jim

You're welcome, glad we could help.

I joined Facebook in June. Is it possible that my computer got infected by me reading what my "friends" were posting on facebook?

Hard to say, it would depend on whether they had any embedded code in their posts, and whether you clicked on the code links or not. As I said earlier, any web page is a potential "minefield", but that's not to suggest that you should get paranoid about clicking on things, just that you should exercise a reasonable amount of caution when visiting sites you're not familiar with.

As your problems appear to have been resolved, this topic is now closed.

We are pleased we could help you resolve your computer's malware issues.

If you would like to make a comment or leave a compliment regarding the help you have received, please see Feedback for Our Helpers - Say "Thanks" Here.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Previous

Return to Infected? Virus, malware, adware, ransomware, oh my!