Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Virus Removing Desktop Icons

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Virus Removing Desktop Icons

Unread postby canadaboy25 » October 20th, 2013, 11:26 am

Hello everyone this is my first time with a virus and I hope it is my last.

I have an old computer running Windows XP Professional. I was downloading a patch for a cnc controlling software and when I ran the patch my mouse just had the little hourglass every once and a while as if a program was running. After a little while all of my icons dissapeared and so did my windows bar at the bottom. All that was left was my background then after a while that went completely white. I rebooted and windows went through the usual loading sequence and I got a flash of my regular desktop then white again. I tried booting in safe mode and safe mode with networking but both times as soon as the computer booted it instantly shut down. I can boot fully in safe mode with command prompt. I have downloaded malwarebytes anti-malware program and installed it through the command prompt and then ran a quick scan. The scan completed with 7 problems found and I removed them. I booted up normally but my screen still turned white. I completed the full scan with one error and removed it but still no difference. The problem has progressed to where I never see my icons anymore.

To copy files to my HD I need to plug it into my good pc and copy them from there.

When I run dds it gets stuck at 26 little notches in the bar about 3/4 of the way. I have tried it twice.

canadaboy25
canadaboy25

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: Virus Removing Desktop Icons

Unread postby askey127 » October 21st, 2013, 2:18 pm

Hi Canadaboy25,

If the machine does not have Service Pack 3 installed, it is an unsupported version of XP, and is so vulnerable to many old infections it is hopeless to attempt fixing it.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=50380
Even with SP3 installed, XP will become unsupported next April and will really need to be offline.
You don't necessarily have a Remote Access Infection, but information on re-installing Windows is included here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=60204
I would suggest re-installing Win XP, including Service Pack 1a or Service Pack 2, then to be followed by SP3.

If you are using the machine as a CNC controller, it would seem to be part of a business.
We are sorry but will be unable to provide support for such a business related machine due to legal reasons.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=47959

askey127
askey127
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher