Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

promotional popups at any site that i visit

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: promotional popups at any site that i visit

Unread postby blondlily57 » October 6th, 2013, 12:59 pm

when i do the system restore point. i do 2 separate ones. 1 windows 8 OS and 1 Lenovo...
blondlily57

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby blondlily57 » October 6th, 2013, 1:01 pm

under restore:system settings:protections settings: lenovo (D:) is in the OFF position. BUT windows8_OS (C:) (System) is on
DOES THIS MATTER?
blondlily57

Unread postby blondlily57 » October 6th, 2013, 10:18 pm

i was able to do a back up of the win8 OS (C:) but not of the lenovo (D:) shall i continue?
blondlily57

Unread postby Wingman » October 7th, 2013, 1:09 pm

The System Restore process is geared to the restoration of the Windows Registry and Windows System files... so as long as you could do this on the drive where Windows is installed, you are good to go.
Wingman
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby blondlily57 » October 7th, 2013, 5:15 pm

TDSSKiller... did not reboot, did not show malicious, suspicious or unsigned files. I opened the log but it wont let me copy and paste it.
blondlily57

Unread postby Wingman » October 8th, 2013, 8:03 am

Please re-start your computer normally... then locate the TDSSKiller log and see if you can copy/paste in your reply...
Wingman
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby blondlily57 » October 8th, 2013, 11:23 am

still cannot copy and paste after reboot. I also was not able to save the TDSSKiller to my desktop. I tried a number of different times.
blondlily57

Unread postby Wingman » October 8th, 2013, 12:11 pm

Hello blondlily57,

Thanks for hanging in there. I don't understand why you can't copy and paste the TDSSKiller log?
Let's try restting Firefox, since that's where you are having problems.

Please run the following steps...

Step 1.
Create a System Restore Point - W8
  1. Click the Start button Image, then right-click on Computer, then click Properties.
  2. In the left pane, click System protection. If UAC prompts, allow it.
  3. Click the System Protection tab... then click Create.
  4. In the System Protection dialog box, type a description... then click Create.
    A Restore Point will be created and you should receive a message: "The restore point was created successfully."
  5. Click Close and exit.
< STOP > If you did not successfully complete this step. < STOP > Do not continue with any other steps, post back and let me know!

Step 2.
Registry Backup (TCRB)
You should have this installed... if so, please ignore the download and install instructions.
Please download tweaking.com_registry_backup_setup.exe ... download and save it to your desktop.
Double click on the "...setup.exe" program and install the program. Let the install use the default installation. How to tutorial here.
Once the program is installed...
  1. Double click the Tweaking.com Registry Backup icon ... on your Desktop to open the program.
  2. It should open with the Backup Registry tab selected and all file options checked. Check any that are not already checked.
  3. Click on Backup Now to create a backup of your Registry.
    You'll see "Waiting for Volume Shadow Copy snapshot..." this may take a few moments, just be patient.
  4. When completed you should see a message saying something like ... Successful ??/?? Registry Files Backed Up ... ?? is total number of files, both numbers should match.
  5. Close and exit the program.
If you successfully created a TCRB backup of the registry, please continue...

Step 3.
Reset Firefox
Please be aware when resetting FF, it will attempt to keep the following settings:
•Bookmarks •Browsing history •Passwords •Cookies •Web form auto-fill information •Personal dictionary
The things that will be restored or removed are:
•Extensions and themes •Open tabs, windows and tab groups •Site-specific preferences, search engines, download history, DOM storage, security certificate settings, security device settings, download actions, plugin MIME types, toolbar customizations and user styles. •All Firefox Services, including Facebook Messenger for Firefox will be removed.
Please see this link for additional information.

1. Start the Firefox browser, if not already opened.
  2. At the top of the Firefox window, click the orange Firefox button.
  3. Select the Help sub-menu... then select Troubleshooting Information.
  4. Click the Reset Firefox button, located in the upper-right corner of the Troubleshooting Information page.
  5. In the confirmation window... click Reset Firefox.
    Firefox will close and be reset. When it's done, a window will list the information that was imported.
  6. Click Finish and Firefox will open.

Are you still having the same problems now, after the reset?

Thanks,
Wingman
Wingman
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby blondlily57 » October 8th, 2013, 4:08 pm

Mcafee is saying my firewall is on. i dont have macafee ad i dont know how to turn off the firewall. THIS IS SOMETHING NEW... it wasnt turned on before
blondlily57

Unread postby Wingman » October 9th, 2013, 10:25 am

Hello blondlily57,

Have you run the Firefox reset?

The only McAfee product you have installed is McAfee Security Scan Plus... we can uninstall it. What were you doing when you got the message from McAfee?

Uninstall Programs
  1. From the top or bottom right corner... a widget panel appears, select Settings.
  2. Select, click Control Panel to open.
  3. Depending on your current view setting ...
    • Double click on Programs and Features.
      or
    • Under Programs, click on Uninstall a program.
  4. Locate the following program(s):
    McAfee Security Scan Plus
  5. Select the program and click on Uninstall to uninstall it.
    Carefully read any prompts...
    Some uninstallers prompt in a way to trick you into keeping the program, sometimes, preventing them from being uninstalled again!
  6. Repeat steps 4 - 5 for each program in the list. When finished... Close the Control Panel window.

Are you still having the same problems now, after the reset?

Thanks,
Wingman
Wingman
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby blondlily57 » October 9th, 2013, 12:21 pm

yes i reset firefox there appears to be no popups now. i waited to see. i dont know which part i was doing thru your list when mcafee showed up on my pin menu... and with the firewall light green. yes i would like to un install it i want to get another antivirus/malware program installed but i dont want to be compromised if others are on ny system. like the defender OR SHOULD I JUST GET THE MCAFEE ordered since it is there aready?
blondlily57

Unread postby Wingman » October 9th, 2013, 12:51 pm

Hello blondlily57,

The McAfee product you have installed is NOT an Antivirus product... it is another scanning tool used to determine the status of various things on your computer
From the McAfee site:
McAfee Security Scan Plus, and its predecessor McAfee Security Scan, are free diagnostic tools for your PC that allows you to simply and easily check your anti-virus software, firewall protection, and web security status on your computer. This tool runs as a compliment to any existing security software and does not negatively impact the performance of your computer.
It is a stand alone, on-demand scanner, meaning you run it whenever you want to check on your security software, firewall, etc... it DOES NOT offere any virus or malware protection and can be uninstalled if desired.

You have Windows Defender installed, this is your Antivirus software. It is essentially Microsoft Security Essentials, bundled with Windows Defender and installed with Windows 8. I would suggest leaving Windows Defender installed as your antivirus software.
Keep your Firewall ON.
You can keep MBAM Malwarebytes'Antimalware installed... it is a good on-demand scanner for a lot of various malware.

I'd like to get a final scan run, see if there is anything left behind. Please run the following steps.

Step 1.
Create a System Restore Point - W8
  1. Click the Start button Image, then right-click on Computer, then click Properties.
  2. In the left pane, click System protection. If UAC prompts, allow it.
  3. Click the System Protection tab... then click Create.
  4. In the System Protection dialog box, type a description... then click Create.
    A Restore Point will be created and you should receive a message: "The restore point was created successfully."
  5. Click Close and exit.
< STOP > If you did not successfully complete this step. < STOP > Do not continue with any other steps, post back and let me know!

Step 2.
Registry Backup (TCRB)
You should have this installed... if so, please ignore the download and install instructions.
Please download tweaking.com_registry_backup_setup.exe ... download and save it to your desktop.
Double click on the "...setup.exe" program and install the program. Let the install use the default installation. How to tutorial here.
Once the program is installed...
  1. Double click the Tweaking.com Registry Backup icon ... on your Desktop to open the program.
  2. It should open with the Backup Registry tab selected and all file options checked. Check any that are not already checked.
  3. Click on Backup Now to create a backup of your Registry.
    You'll see "Waiting for Volume Shadow Copy snapshot..." this may take a few moments, just be patient.
  4. When completed you should see a message saying something like ... Successful ??/?? Registry Files Backed Up ... ?? is total number of files, both numbers should match.
  5. Close and exit the program.
If you successfully created a TCRB backup of the registry, please continue...

Step 3.
Trend Micro™ HouseCall - scan. Image
Please download Trend Micro™ HouseCall Launcher-64bit Copyright © 2013 Trend Micro Incorporated, save it to your desktop.
  1. Click the HouseCall icon on your desktop.
    Windows Vista + Win7/Win8 users Right-click on the icon and choose "Run As Administrator"... if prompted by UAC, allow it.
    The latest program and definition files will be downloaded... see progress bar.
  2. Accept the license agreement terms... then Press the Next button.
  3. Press the Scan Now button.
    HouseCall will start scanning your system. This takes a while, be patient... let it run.
    Once the scan is complete it will display if your system has been infected.
  4. If infected...Save the scan results as a Text file ... save it to your desktop.
  5. Copy and paste the saved scan results file in your next reply.

Step 4.
Please include in your next reply:
  1. Any problem executing the instructions?
  2. SRP and TCRB backups created successfully?
  3. Trend Micro scan results
  4. How is the computer behaving?

Thanks,
Wingman
Wingman
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Unread postby blondlily57 » October 9th, 2013, 10:27 pm

the malware is that the malware bytes that i installed. so i would need to buy it?

ok off to do the above steps
blondlily57

Unread postby blondlily57 » October 9th, 2013, 10:54 pm

1. no problems executing
2. backups both successful
trend micro shows NO THREATS FOUND
computer seems to be going ok after the firefox reset
blondlily57

Unread postby blondlily57 » October 10th, 2013, 6:19 pm

what next?