Update Adobe Reader
- You should Download and Install the newest version of Adobe Reader for reading pdf files.
- Older versions may have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system.
- Go Here to download and install Adobe Reader X (10.1.3).
- Note: remember to Uncheck Free McAfee® Security Scan Plus (optional)
Update Java Runtime
You are using an old version of Java. Sun's Java is sometimes updated in order to eliminate the exploitation of vulnerabilities in an existing version. For this reason, it's extremely important that you keep the program up to date, & also remove the older more vulnerable versions from your system. The most current version of Sun Java is: Java Runtime Environment Version 7 Update 5.
- Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 7 Here
- Scroll down to where it says "Java SE 7u5"
- Click the blue Download JRE button to the right
- Select the Windows platform from the dropdown menu
- Read the License Agreement and then check the box that says: "I agree to the Java SE Runtime Environment 7 with JavaFX License Agreement". Click on Continue.The page will refresh
- Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation & save the file to your desktop
- Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser
- Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove Programs & remove all older versions of Java
- Check (highlight) any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE or Java(TM) ) in the name
- Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
- Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions
- Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed
- Then from your desktop double-click on jre-7u5-windows-i586.exe to install the newest version
Now that you are clean, please follow these steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure.
- Click START then RUN
- Now type Combofix /Uninstall in the runbox and click OK
Clean up with OTL
- Double-click OTL.exe to start the program. This will remove all the tools we used to clean your pc.
- Close all other programs apart from OTL as this step will require a reboot
- On the OTL main screen, press the CleanUp! button
- Say Yes to the prompt and then allow the program to reboot your computer.
Update your AntiVirus Software and keep your other programs up-to-date
Update your Antivirus programs and other security products regularly to avoid new threats that could infect your system.
You can use one of these sites to check if any updates are needed for your pc.
Secunia Software Inspector
F-secure Health Check
Security Updates for Windows, Internet Explorer & Microsoft Office
Whenever a security problem in its software is found, Microsoft will usually create a patch so that after the patch is installed, attackers can't use the vulnerability to install malicious software on your PC. Keeping up with these patches will help to prevent malicious software being installed on your PC. Ensure you are registered for Windows updates via Start > right-click on My Computer > Properties > Automatic Updates tab or visit the Microsoft Update site on a regular basis.
Happy surfing and stay clean!