Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Computer running very slowly ..think i have a virus

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: Computer running very slowly ..think i have a virus

Unread postby mambass » March 1st, 2012, 10:21 am

Hi painter12, :)

The problems you are still experiencing are not coming from malware as all of your latest logs have come back clean.
As this is a dedicated Malware Removal site I think those issues are best left to experts elsewhere.
Here are some excellent Tech sites (in no particular order) that may be able to help with these problems:

Please feel free to refer them to this thread if they care to see what has been done so far. You may wish to pass on to them that some problems with the DDS logs are indicative of issues with WMI.

Please stay with me a bit longer because there are a few important things that we still need to do to cleanup and make sure that you don't get infected again.

Please print these instructions because you will need to close this browser window in a step below.

1. Cleanup with OTL
    1. Close all windows/applications.
    2. Right-click the OTL icon on your Desktop and select Run As Administrator.
    3. Click the CleanUp button in the OTL window. The cleanup will begin after which a dialog will be displayed indicating that a reboot is required.
    4. Click the OK button in the message window. The system will reboot.

2. Cleanup remaining tools used and files created by our work
    Please delete the following files from your Desktop:
    RKill.exe
    aswMBR.exe
    SecurityCheck.exe

3. Stay clean
    The important thing now is to actively do things that will help keep you from getting infected in the future.

1. Keep Antivirus and applications updated
      This is the MOST IMPORTANT thing that you can do to keep from becoming infected.
      • Keep Microsoft products up-to-date with the latest security patches. Either
        • Enable some level of Automatic Updates
          • Click Start > Control Panel. The Control Panel window will be displayed.
          • Click the Windows Update entry. The Windows Update frame will be displayed.
          • Click the Change setting link in the left column of the window. The Choose how Windows can install updates frame will be displayed.
          • Select the option which best fits your needs.
        • Or use Internet Explorer to visit the Microsoft Update site on a regular basis.

• I personally use and recommend the free Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI). This program will keep you aware of software that is installed on your computer that contains security vulnerabilities for which security patches exist. I have mine set to automatically scan my computer weekly.

• All updates are important but pay particular attention to updates for all Internet browsers as well as Microsoft, Java and Adobe products. These are widely-used products that Malware writers frequently target.

2. There are a number of free programs that you can install to improve your computer's security: Many people feel that having a "layered" protection scheme is beneficial. You will have to decide what works best for your situation. Here are a few you may want to look into.

Malwarebytes Anti-malware
      You already have it on your computer. Malwarebytes can thoroughly remove even advanced malware. Run scans at least weekly and always allow the databases to be updated if asked. It's powerful, easy to use and free. For real-time protection you will have to purchase the product. If you have other computers then it can be download from Malewarebytes © Malwarebytes Corporation. Tutorials are available for installing and running , Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

SiteAdvisor
      SiteAdvisor is a toolbar for Microsoft Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox which alerts you if you're about to enter a potentially dangerous website.
      You can find more information and download it from here

WinPatrol
      As a robust security monitor, WinPatrol will alert you to hijackings, malware attacks and critical changes made to your computer without your permission. WinPatrol takes snapshot of your critical system resources and alerts you to any changes that may occur without your knowledge.
      For more information, please visit here

MVPS Hosts

You can learn about and download the MVPS Hosts File here
      The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer.
      You can Find the Tutorial here

3. Read and stay informed!

To help minimize the chances of becoming re-infected, please read.
      Computer Security - a short guide to staying safer online

If your computer is running slowly after your clean up, please read.
      What to do if your Computer is running slowly

I would be grateful if you could reply to this post so that I know you have read it and, if you've no other questions, the thread can be closed.

Good luck in resolving the performance issues and Safe surfing! :)

mambass
mambass
Retired Graduate

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby painter12 » March 1st, 2012, 6:14 pm

ok...got your reply...thanks for all your prompt help.....will check out the sites you gave me and continue on!
painter12

Unread postby deltalima » March 2nd, 2012, 5:07 am

As your problems do not appear to be malware related, this topic is now closed.

We are pleased we could help you resolve your computer's malware issues.

If you would like to make a comment or leave a compliment regarding the help you have received, please see Feedback for Our Helpers - Say "Thanks" Here.
deltalima
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Previous