Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Who do I trust? MBRCheck.exe

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Who do I trust? MBRCheck.exe

Unread postby jeff.sadowski » August 24th, 2011, 3:07 pm

For the most part I trust Microsoft and some other major software providers like Adobe and Apple stuff but have recently started to run into issues. Example: I can no longer find tweakui on Microsoft site.
I know its just a registry editor but it makes it so much easier to do some of the tasks I need to do like autologin.
I wanted to know about how I go about verifying the program I am downloading and that it is from whom it says its from.
I know tweakui pops up that it is a microsoft signed program but others are not so obvious.
Example: I had been reading about malware being in the Master Boot Record and wanted to explore how I would verify that my MBR was infected or not. I found word of mbrcheck.exe and downloaded this program. It seems good but how do I know mbrcheck.exe is not infecting me? I'm doubting it is infected because it says my MBR was written from Dell when I was expecting it to say something about microsoft written mbr meaning it gave a lot of information that was more correct than I was expecting. I was hoping I could read somewhere on the net to look at the MBR in more detail without any third party program. I am good with linux commands and was hoping there was a way to verify the MBR using dd to copy just the MBR and verify what was in the MBR that way. I didn't find anything about patterns to match good or bad so I went with mbrcheck.exe I only see a version number for mbrcheck.exe I don't see any contact info or company info I have no clue as to where its from or if it itself hasn't been infected. In linux we have checksums and if a developer is smart they have a pgp signed statement stating the md5 checksum. Thus you have the persons pgp public key to verify and you know overtime that some of these can be trusted. At that point you can trust the md5sum and then verify the executable with that. I see nothing like this in the windows world and it scares the bejesus out of me.
A.)
I'd like to know the official site for mbrcheck.exe if anyone can help?
B.)
I'd like to know how to verify I have an uninfected binary.
MBRCheck.exe version 1.2.3 has md5sum cb2d120a4b72422a8141192831b1f500
if someone can verify that please. Thanks.
jeff.sadowski

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: Who do I trust? MBRCheck.exe

Unread postby deltalima » August 24th, 2011, 3:20 pm

By posting just a description of your problems it is likely that your topic will be passed by and you will not receive the help you're looking for.

We need to know what's running on your computer so that we can give you appropriate instructions.

May I draw your attention to THIS topic, which you should have read, and which tells you what we need you to post so that we can help you.

This thread will now be closed.

If you still need help, please start a new thread with:-
  • DDS.txt
  • Attach.txt
  • Details of your problems.

If for any reason you can't run DDS, please let us know in your post.
deltalima
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Return to Infected? Virus, malware, adware, ransomware, oh my!