Please find some final steps below.
THESE STEPS ARE VERY IMPORTANT
Let's reset system restore
Reset and Re-enable your System Restore to remove infected files that have been backed up by Windows. The files in System Restore are protected to prevent any programs changing those files. This is the only way to clean these files: You will lose all previous restore points which are likely to be infected. Please note you need Administrator Access to do clean the restore points.
A To disable the System Restore feature:
1. Click on the Start button.
2. Hover over the Computer option, right click on it and then click Properties.
3. On the left hand side, click Advanced Settings.
4. If asked to permit the action, click on Allow.
5. Click on the System Protection tab.
6. Select c: drive and click Configure...
7. Select Turn off protection
8. Press OK.
Repeat steps 6-8 for each hard drive.
C Turn ON System Restore.
Follow the steps like you did when disabling system restore but on step 7. select Restore system settings and previous versions of files -option.
Now lets uninstall ComboFix:
- Click START then RUN
- Now copy-paste Combofix /uninstall in the runbox and click OK
UPDATING WINDOWS AND INTERNET EXPLORER
IMPORTANT: You Need to Update Windows and Internet Explorer to protect your computer from the malware that is around on the Internet. Please go to the windows update site to get the critical updates.
If you are running Microsoft Office, or any portion thereof, go to the Microsoft's Office Update site and make sure you have at least all the critical updates installed (Free) Microsoft Office Update.
Make your Internet Explorer more secure
This can be done by following these simple instructions:
From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
Click once on the Security tab
Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
Click once on the Custom Level button.
Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
The following are recommended third party programs that are designed to keep your computer clean. A link as well as a brief description is included with each item.
- hosts file:
- Every version of windows has a hosts file as part of them.
- In a very basic sense, they are used to locate webpages.
- We can customize a hosts file so that it blocks certain webpages.
- However, it can slow down certain computers.
- This is why using a hosts file is optional!!
If you decide to download the hosts file, the slowdown problems can usually be avoided by following these steps:
- Click the start button (at the lower left hand corner of your screen)
- Click run
- In the dialog box, type services.msc
- hit enter, then locate dns client
- Highlight it, then double-click it.
- On the dropdown box, change the setting from automatic to manual.
- Click ok
- Download and run Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI) and fix its findings.
- Get Anti Virus Software and keep it updated - Most AVs will update automatically, but if not I would recommend making updating the AV the first job every time the PC is connected to the internet. An AV that is using defs that are seven days old is not going to be much protection. If you do not update your anti virus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out. Good free antivirus programs are:
Good commercial ones are from:
Just a final reminder for you. I am trying to stress these two points.
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!!! Make sure you do this about every 1-2 weeks.
Make sure all of your security programs are up to date.
Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.
Once again, please post and tell me how things are going with your system... problems etc.
Have a great day,
My laptop has my life on it and we all know how big of a nuisance it is when you lose everything.
I recommend to take regular backups. Creating hard drive image is a good idea too. Acronis and Paragon have commercial versions. DriveImage XML and Paragon's Backup & Recovery Free Edition are free.
If there was some way I could repay you directly, I would gladly throw a few bucks your way.
If you wish to donate please donate for the site to make it possible for others to get help here too