Hi slickrick,Rootkit Warning
One or more of the identified infections you had was related to a rootkit component
are very dangerous
because they use advanced techniques as a means of accessing a computer system that bypasses security mechanisms and steal sensitive information which they send back to the hacker.
Many rootkits can hook into the Windows 32-bit kernel, and patch several APIs to hide new registry keys and files they install.
Remote attackers use rootkits
as part of an exploit to gain unauthorized access to a computer and take control of it without your knowledge.
If your computer was used for online banking, has credit card information or other sensitive data on it, you should immediately disconnect from the Internet until your system is cleaned. All passwords should be changed immediately
to include those used for banking, email, eBay, Paypal and online forums. You should consider them to be compromised
. They should be changed by using a different computer and not the infected one. If not, an attacker may get the new passwords and transaction information. Banking and credit card institutions should be notified of the possible security breach.
Because your computer was compromised please read How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?
Although the rootkit has been identified and appears to have been removed
, your PC may be compromised and there is no way to be sure the computer can ever be trusted again. It is dangerous and incorrect to assume that because the rootkit has been removed the computer is now secure
Further, in some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be completely cleaned or repaired. The malware may leave so many remnants behind that security tools cannot find them. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of malware, the best course of action is to wipe the drive clean, reformat and reinstall the OS. Please read:
"When should I re-format? How should I reinstall?
"Help: I Got Hacked. Now What Do I Do?
"Where to draw the line? When to recommend a format and reinstall?
"Should you decide not to follow that advice we cannot guarantee your computer to be trustworthy or that the malware removal has been completely successful.
If you wish to continue then the next step is to remove some programs and update others.
- Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- In Control Panel, double-click Add or Remove Programs.
- In Add or Remove Programs,
highlight Viewpoint Media Player
- Close the Add or Remove Programs and the Control Panel windows.
You should Download and Install the newest version of Adobe Reader
for reading pdf files, due to the vulnerabilities in earlier versions.
All versions numbered lower than 9.4 are vulnerable.
Update Java Runtime
- Go HERE, UNCHECK any Free Add-Ons, and click Download to install the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- After it completes the Installation, close the Download Manager.
You are using an old version of Java. Sun's Java is sometimes updated in order to eliminate the exploitation of vulnerabilities in an existing version. For this reason, it's extremely important that you keep the program up to date, & also remove the older more vulnerable versions from your system. The most current version of Sun Java is: Java Runtime Environment Version 6 Update 22
- Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Here
- Scroll down to where it says "JDK 6 Update 22 (JDK or JRE)"
- Click the orange Download JRE button to the right
- Select the Windows platform from the dropdown menu
- Read the License Agreement and then check the box that says: "I agree to the Java SE Runtime Environment 6 with JavaFX License Agreement". Click on Continue.The page will refresh
- Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation & save the file to your desktop
- Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser
- Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove Programs & remove all older versions of Java
- Check (highlight) any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE or Java(TM) 6) in the name
- Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
- Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions
- Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed
- Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u22-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version
Let me know when complete and we can removed the tools we have used and complete the clean up.