Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Google Search Misdirects Doubleclick

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: Google Search Misdirects Doubleclick

Unread postby km2357 » August 26th, 2009, 12:36 am

I'll have you try a different online scanner than Kaspersky:

I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan
  1. Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
    ESET OnlineScan
  2. Click the Image button.
  3. For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    1. Click on Image to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    2. Double click on the Image icon on your desktop.
  4. Check Image
  5. Click the Image button.
  6. Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  7. Check Image
  8. Push the Start button.
  9. ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  10. When the scan completes, push Image
  11. Push Image, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  12. Push the Image button.
  13. Push Image

surge-on5 wrote:I'm not sure what to do next. My computer is continuing to give the doubleclick misdirects, less frequently though. On some commercial sites, i.e. target or sears for example, I will always get the misdirect about 10 seconds after the correct site finishes loading.

In doing some research, I found that Google can/will use Doubleclick cookies for their advertising. I found a page on Google where you can opt out of using these cookies. Go to the following link and click on the Opt Out button on the top of the page:

http://www.google.com/privacy_ads.html

If after "opting out" you still get the doubleclick redirects, then you'll need to do a permant opt out and you can do that by visiting the following webpage and downloading/installing the plugin for IE that permanently opts you out of using the doubleclick cookie:

http://www.google.com/ads/preferences/plugin/

After you're done with either opting out or downloading the opt out plugin or both, then reboot your computer and do some surfing (go to target, sears, etc) and see if you still get those doubleclick redirects.

In your next post/reply, I need to see the following:

1. ESET Log
2. After clicking the "Opt Out" button and/or downloading the permanent opt-out plugin, do you still get redirected?
km2357
MRU Master
MRU Master

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby surge-on5 » August 27th, 2009, 6:00 am

I ran ESET, actually twice because I didn't believe it, but no threats were found. Since no threats were found, there wasn't any list to export.

I tried both of the opt out options for doubleclick from google but still get misdirected.
surge-on5

Unread postby km2357 » August 27th, 2009, 2:26 pm

Hmmm..this is a tough one. :(

Let's try this:

Step # 1 Download HostsXpert

Download HostsXpert and unzip it to your desktop.

Open HostsXpert that you earlier unzipped on your Desktop.

• Click "Make Hosts Writable?" upper right corner (if available)
  • Click "Restore Microsoft's Original Hosts File" and then click OK
  • Close HostsXpert

Note; IF you used any custom Hosts (eg. MVPS Hosts), you will have put them back manually

After you've ran HostsXpert, let me know if you still get misdirected.
km2357
MRU Master
MRU Master

Unread postby surge-on5 » August 27th, 2009, 9:46 pm

:cheers: I am very happy to report that your last suggestion has stopped the misdirects. I have tried the sites where I would always get misdirected, target, sears, and yahoo mail, and I do not see any signs of misdirection.

Can you give me any insight as to what was happening? I have Scotty running, and I thought that was supposed to stop changes to the host files. I am not the only one who uses this computer, so perhaps someone else accepted a change that Scotty noted.

Thank you very much, and if you have any other suggestions for me I would be very appreciative. :D
surge-on5

Unread postby km2357 » August 28th, 2009, 1:43 am

That's great news! :cheers: :cheers:

Can you give me any insight as to what was happening? I have Scotty running, and I thought that was supposed to stop changes to the host files. I am not the only one who uses this computer, so perhaps someone else accepted a change that Scotty noted.

I'm guessing that's what happened, someone else was using the computer and Scotty barked at them and not knowing what they should do, they let what Scotty was barking at go through, instead of blocking it. You may want to tell the others who use the computer that if Scotty barks again in the future, to make sure they don't let whatever he's barking at through.

If there are no more problems with your computer, then you're good to go. :)

You can delete DDS.scr, GMER.zip, GMER.exe and the GMER Log from your computer.

To remove Combofix, do the following:

Go to Start > Run - type in ComboFix /u & click OK

Empty your Recycle Bin.

Please take the time to read my All Clean Post.

Please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure:

This is a good time to clear your existing system restore points and establish a new clean restore point

• Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore
  • Select Create a restore point, and Ok it.
  • Next, go to Start > Run and type in cleanmgr
  • Make sure the C:\ drive is selected and click OK. If your computer's Hard Drive is not located on C:, change it to the correct drive letter then click OK.
  • Select the More options tab
  • Choose the option to clean up system restore and OK it.
  • This will remove all restore points except the new one you just created.

Clearing your restore points is not something you should do on a regular basis. Normally, this process only needs to be done after clearing out an infestation of malware.

Make your Internet Explorer more secure This can be done by following these simple instructions:
  1. From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
  2. Click once on the Security tab
  3. Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
  4. Click once on the Custom Level button.
    • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
    • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
    • Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
    • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
    • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
    • Change the Navigate sub frames across different domains to Prompt
  5. When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
  6. If it asks you if you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
  7. Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
Set correct settings for files that should be hidden in Windows XP
  • Click Start > My Computer > Tools menu (at top of page) > Folder Options > View tab.
  • Under "Hidden files and folders" if necessary select Do not show hidden files and folders.
  • If unchecked please checkHide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • If necessary check "Display content of system folders"
  • If necessary Uncheck Hide file extensions for known file types.
  • Click OK
  • Use An Antivirus Software and Keep It Updated - It is very important that your computer has an antivirus software running on your machine. This alone can save you a lot of trouble with malware in the future. It is imperative that you update your antivirus software at least once a day. If you do not update your antivirus software, then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.
  • Visit Microsoft's Update Site Frequently It is important that you visit Microsoft Updates regularly. This will ensure your computer has the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.
  • Use an alternative instant messenger program.Trillian and Miranda IM These are Malware free Instant Messenger programs which allow you to connect to multiple IM services in one program! (AOL, Yahoo, ICQ, IRC, MSN)
  • Please read Tony Klein's excellent article: How I got Infected in the First Place
  • Please read Understanding Spyware, Browser Hijackers, and Dialers
  • Please read Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet
  • If you are using Internet Explorer, please consider using an alternate browser: Mozilla's Firefox or
    Opera.
    If you decide to use either FireFox or Opera, it is very important that you keep them up to date and check frequently for updates of the browser of your choice.
  • Update all these programs regularly Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.
  • If your computer was infected by a website, a program, IM, MSN, or p2p, check this site because it is Time To Fight Back.
Follow these steps and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.

Here's a good website to read about Malware prevention:

http://users.telenet.be/bluepatchy/miek ... ntion.html

If your computer is running slow, click here for instructions on how to help speed up your computer.

Good luck!

Please reply one last time so that I know you have read my post and this thread can be closed.
km2357
MRU Master
MRU Master

Unread postby Gary R » August 31st, 2009, 11:15 am

As your problems appear to have been resolved, this topic is now closed.

We are pleased we could help you resolve your computer's malware issues.

If you would like to make a comment or leave a compliment regarding the help you have received, please see Feedback for Our Helpers - Say "Thanks" Here.
Gary R
Administrator
Administrator

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Previous