MBAM is a great tool for you to keep and use on a regular basis.
- Click START then RUN
- Now type Combofix /u in the runbox and click OK ( please note the space between Combofix and the /)
- Double-click OTM.exe. (Vista users, please right click on OTM.exe and select "Run as an Administrator")
- Click the CleanUp! button.
- Select Yes when the "Begin cleanup Process?" prompt appears.
- If you are prompted to Reboot during the cleanup, select Yes.
- The tool will delete itself once it finishes, if not delete it by yourself.
Now that the infection is gone lets try to keep it that way by following the below recommendations.
Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
- From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
- Click once on the Security tab
- Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
- Click once on the Custom Level button.
- Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
- Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
- Change the Initialise and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
- Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
- Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
- Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
- When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
- If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
Here are some free programs I recommend that could help you improve your computer's security.
Update your Antivirus programs and other security products regularly to avoid new threats that could infect your system. If you do not update your anti virus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.
You can use one of these sites to check if any updates are needed for your pc.
Secunia Software Inspector
F-secure Health Check
Download it from here
Here you can find information about how WinPatrol works here
Install MVPS Hosts File from here
The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer.
Find Tutorial here : http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
Read some information here how to prevent Malware.
Please reply if you have any problems or questions
Happy Safe Surfing