Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

I have something wrong DNS Advantage -search

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: I have something wrong DNS Advantage -search

Unread postby Odd dude » March 31st, 2009, 3:23 pm

No need for md5sum as you got the file to burn eventually.

IE can be installed from a cd/dvd, yes. Flash drive would've done the trick too.

I have reviewed the opt-out instructions as listed here: http://www.advantageoptout.com/windows_vista.html
and I do not see how they would be able to prevent IE from starting. At worst, the would prevent IE from displaying webpages.

Please perform the instructions I outlined next and we'll see what the result is. If you make the ERUNT backup as I instructed you in my previous post then everything will be fully reversable should anything go wrong.
Odd dude
Retired Graduate

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby jeffs55 » March 31st, 2009, 6:32 pm

You are correct. IE would open, but no web pages would display. All I got was a blank screen. I will do the erunt as instructed and get back to you. thanx
jeffs55

Unread postby jeffs55 » March 31st, 2009, 8:22 pm

Erunt indicates that it will create a backup for XP and other operating systems but did not mention Vista. Is this a problem? Is this instead of me creating a restore point? should I do both? Can you tell that I am scared?! LOL
jeffs55

Unread postby Odd dude » April 1st, 2009, 1:26 am

jeffs55 wrote:You are correct. IE would open, but no web pages would display. All I got was a blank screen. I will do the erunt as instructed and get back to you. thanx
OK. If the opting out breaks IE again, all you need to do is restore the ERUNT backup by double clicking the file C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT\today's date\ERDNT.exe

jeffs55 wrote:Erunt indicates that it will create a backup for XP and other operating systems but did not mention Vista. Is this a problem? Is this instead of me creating a restore point? should I do both? Can you tell that I am scared?! LOL

Don't worry.
At this screen, just put a check next to all boxes and click OK.
Don't worry about the thing with Vista. In terms of the registry and storage of data, it is absolutely no different from all other versions of Windows. The registry hasn't changed since Windows NT 4.0 :)

This is the same as creating a system restore point, with these exceptions:
  • To use system restore the computer needs to be working, ERUNT can be used regardless of the PC's current state
  • System restore also backs up some Windows files, ERUNT just backs up ALL settings.
Odd dude
Retired Graduate

Unread postby jeffs55 » April 1st, 2009, 8:44 am

I was messng around with ERDNT today, 4-1-09 and got this error message. However, I was playing with it last night and succeeded where this morning it failed. I do have a file named ERDNT dated yesterday as shown. Was the error a result of the previous file being there? I mean should it have created another file with a new date?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jeffs55

Unread postby Odd dude » April 1st, 2009, 8:47 am

I am so sorry, I completely forgot to mention you need to right click Erunt and choose Run as Administrator. My fault, I apologize.
Odd dude
Retired Graduate

Unread postby Odd dude » April 4th, 2009, 9:54 am

How are you doing?
Odd dude
Retired Graduate

Unread postby jeffs55 » April 4th, 2009, 3:40 pm

I have not had time to do the operations you suggested. I really am afraid to. To uninstall IE sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. In any case it will be Monday before I have sufficient time to sit in front of the computer. Thank you for following up.
jeffs55

Unread postby Odd dude » April 5th, 2009, 2:35 am

I understand your concern. There are other options but they involve pointing the DNS entries to a third-party service. I'd rather try this first and hope it resolves the issues.

If you really are that uncomfortable, we could always opt for that first.
Odd dude
Retired Graduate

Unread postby NonSuch » April 10th, 2009, 12:00 am

Due to a lack of response, this topic is now closed.

If you still require help, please open a new thread in the Infected? Virus, malware, adware, ransomware, oh my! forum, include a fresh FRST log, and wait for a new helper.
NonSuch
Administrator
Administrator

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Previous