however should i remove the programs, like combofix, hijackthis ect. or just leave them on the computer?
All dangerous programs will be removed (like ComboFix) by doing as stated beneath. Programs like ATF Cleaner (to remove temporary files) and MalwareBytes' AM you can keep to do a regular scan. HijackThis is an exception: It can be dangerous but please leave it on your PC so that you do not have to redownload it when you come back in the future (hopefully I will never see you again though ).
This is my normal post for when you are clear - which you now are - or seem to be.
Please advise of any problems you still have. If you think you're clean please give one more reply so that I can archive this topic.
Now that you are clean, I got some tips & tricks for you to keep your computer clean and secure. The first few (like removing dangerous tools and Windows Update) have to be done, the others are optional (beginning with SpywareBlaster).
It may seem like your system will be too much protected with all these things installed, but a lot of programs aren't running always on the background so don't slow down your computer. Please take a look at the following things:
- Uninstall tools - The following will not only uninstall ComboFix but also clean up some other dangerous tools and backups, clean up the System Restore points and hide the system files.
- Go to Start
- Click on Run
- Type ComboFix /u (Note: This command is case sensitive.)
- Download OTCleanIt from http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/ol ... leanIt.exe to your desktop.
- Click the OTCleanIt icon on your desktop.
- Click the CleanUp button.
- If you get any pop ups asking if it is OK let the program proceed.
- At the end the program will ask to let it reboot the computer. Let it do so.
- Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
- From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
- Click once on the Security tab
- Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
- Click once on the Custom Level button.
- Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
- Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
- Change the Initialise and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
- Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
- Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
- Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
- When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
- If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
- Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
- Update your Anti Virus Software - It is imperitive that you update your Anti virus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your anti virus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.
- Visit Microsoft's Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://update.microsoft.com/ regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.
- Install SpywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster will add a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs. You can download it here:
- Install WinPatrol - As a robust security monitor, WinPatrol will alert you to hijackings, malware attacks and critical changes made to your computer without your permission. WinPatrol takes snapshot of your critical system resources and alerts you to any changes that may occur without your knowledge. You can download it from this website:
The developer is a well-known man in the MalWare Removal business. If you really like WinPatrol think about upgrading to the PLUS version. It will give you additional features and you will only have to pay once, for your whole malware-free life.
- Install MVPS HOSTS - This custom hosts file effectively blocks a wide range of unwanted ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page counters, web bugs, and many hijackers.
For information on how to download and install, please read this tutorial here:
Note: Be sure to follow the instructions to disable the DNS Client service before installing a custom hosts file.
- Use an alternative Internet Browser - Many of the exploits are directed to users of Internet Explorer. Try using a different browser instead:
Firefox << Most used, I use this one myself.
- Bookmark general cleanup link - It could be that your computer is becoming slower and slower. This is not always the cause of malware. Most of the times it's malware when you're computer is suddenly getting slow or doing strange. When the slowdown increases slowly, check (so now bookmark) this link for tips & tricks:
What to do if your Computer's running slowly
- Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.
Follow this list and your potential for being infected will reduce dramatically.
>> Here << you can see how you can help us.
May your God go with you..