That's good to hear.
Now that this computer is clean, please remove Combofix.Remove Combofix
Click on Start
. Copy and paste in ComboFix /u
and click OK
. An image is below for reference.
Some prevention tips for this computer before we clean the other computers.Keep your system updated
Microsoft releases patches for Windows and Office products regularly to patch up Windows and Office products loopholes and fix any bugs found. Please ensure that you visit the following websites regularly or do update your system regularly.
Install the updates immediately if they are found. Reboot your computer if necessary, revisit Windows Update and Office update sites until there are no more updates to be installed.To update Windows
Go to Start
> All Programs
> Windows UpdateTo update Office
Open up any Office program.
Go to Help
> Check for Updates
Alternatively, you can visit the links below to update Windows and Office products.Windows UpdateOffice Update
If you are forgetful, you can change some settings so that you will be informed of updates. Here's how:
- Go to Start > Control Panel > Automatic Updates
- Select Automatic (recommended) radio button if you want the updates to be downloaded and installed without prompting you.
- Select Download updates for me, but let me chose when to install them radio button if you want the updates to be downloaded automatically but to be installed at another time.
- Select Notify me but don't automatically download or install them radio button if you want to be notified of the updates.
Besides Windows that needs regular updating, antivirus, anti-spyware and firewall programs update regularly too.
Please make sure that you update your antivirus, firewall and anti-spyware programs at least once a week.Be careful when opening attachments and downloading files.
- Never open email attachments, not even if they are from someone you know. If you need to open them, scan them with your antivirus program before opening.
- Never open emails from unknown senders.
- Beware of emails that warn about viruses that are spreading, especially those from antivirus vendors. These email addresses can be easily spoofed. Check the antivirus vendor websites to be sure.
- Be careful of what you download. Only download files from known sources. Also, avoid cracked programs. If you need a particular program that costs too much for you, try finding free alternatives on Sourceforge or Pricelessware.
Many of the exploits are directed to users of Internet Explorer and Firefox.
with NoScript add-on
helps to prevent most exploits from running as NoScript by default disables all scripts on all websites. If you trust the website, you can manually allow it.
If you prefer to use Internet Explorer, please refer to this website to learn how to secure Internet Explorer 6
You never know when your PC will become unstable or become so infected that you can't recover it. Follow this Microsoft article
to learn how to backup. Follow this article
by Microsoft to restore your backups.
Alternatively, you can use 3rd-party programs to back up your data. One example can be found at Bleeping Computer
P2P may be a great way to get lots of stuffs, but it is a great way to get infected as well. There's no way to tell if the file being shared is infected. Worse still, some worms spread via P2P networks, infecting you as well. If you do need to use them, use them sparingly. Check this list of clean and infected P2P programs
if you need to use one.Prevent a re-infection
- Spyware Blaster
SpywareBlaster is a program that is used to secure Internet Explorer by making it harder for ActiveX programs to run on your computer. It does this by disabling known offending ActiveX programs from running at all.
You can download SpywareBlaster from Javacool.
If you need help in using SpywareBlaster, you can read SpywareBlaster's tutorial at Bleeping Computer.
Just as an antivirus program scans a file for viruses before opening it, SpywareGuard does the same thing, except that it scans it for spywares.
You can download SpywareGuard from Javacool.
If you need help in using SpywareGuard, you can SpywareGuard's tutorial at Bleeping Computer.
Before downloading any anti-spyware programs, always check Malwarebytes MalwareNET and Bleeping Computer. This will save you from a lot of trouble. If in doubt, don't ever download it.
Here are some more things to read about:Greater email safetyPhishing - what is it?