Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

my HikackThisLog

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: my HikackThisLog

Unread postby computeruser » December 29th, 2008, 3:02 pm

I have removed adobe, no change
But still thanks so much
Steve
computeruser

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby John B. » December 29th, 2008, 3:08 pm

Alright, then you can reinstall it. You can either choose for version 8 (which you will have to update to 8.1.3 to have the same security updates as v9) or for version 9 which is heavier on resources.

In the meantime I will discuss again what the options left are. We always can reset your browser, but I want to keep this as last resort?
John B.
MRU Master Emeritus

Unread postby computeruser » December 29th, 2008, 3:22 pm

resetting IE should be no problem, how do I do that?
Steve
computeruser

Unread postby computeruser » December 29th, 2008, 3:24 pm

I reset IE, no change, still says "connecting" when I start it and never gets past that stage
computeruser

Unread postby computeruser » December 29th, 2008, 4:42 pm

I can run IE by going to Start and Run and putting in iexplore. Then it loads OK. But if I go to more shortcut, it won't. Therefore I simplified my shortcut from "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" nohome to "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe". And wouldn't you know it, the problem is gone. "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" nohome was something that I had tried, when I first began having this problem
Thanks so very much
Steve
computeruser

Unread postby computeruser » December 30th, 2008, 2:42 am

Hi John
I thought I had posted a reply or at least I don't see it? Today I realized that I could run IE going to run, entering iexplore, then hitting enter. That got me thinking. I checked out the shortcut I had been using, to start IE. In properties, I found an entry that I had added sometime ago, when I first began having problems with IE: "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" But there was something extra added in there which I removed, something to the effect of nohome page, anyways, I removed that. Now IE loads, from the shortcut as well.
Thanks so much
Steve
computeruser

Unread postby John B. » December 30th, 2008, 11:43 am

Hi Steve,

First of all I am glad that you solved the problem! Funny how some things is are just so easy but still take a long time before you find it.

But then running Internet Explorer without Add-ons (by going to Start > All programs > blabla) would also work, right?
John B.
MRU Master Emeritus

Unread postby computeruser » December 30th, 2008, 1:41 pm

Running it without add-ons would apparently not work, as long as I started IE from the shortcut, as it was configured.
computeruser

Unread postby John B. » December 30th, 2008, 2:17 pm

Hi,

This is my normal post for when you are clear - which you now are - or seem to be.
Please advise of any problems you still have. If you think you're clean please give one more reply so that I can archive this topic.

Now that you are clean, I got some tips & tricks for you to keep your computer clean and secure. The first few (like removing dangerous tools and Windows Update) have to be done, the others are optional (beginning with Spybot S &D).

It may seem like your system will be too much protected with all these things installed, but a lot of programs aren't running always on the background so don't slow down your computer. Please take a look at the following things:
  • Uninstall tools - Do this with OTMoveIt to remove dangerous tools we used.
    • Start OTMoveIt.exe
    • Click on CleanUp!
    • A list of tools will be downloaded from the internet
    • When a box pops up click Yes
    You may delete any logs and other programs left on the desktop.

• Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
    • From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
    • Click once on the Security tab
    • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
    • Click once on the Custom Level button.
      • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
      • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
      • Change the Initialise and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
      • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
      • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
      • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
      • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
      • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
    • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

• Update your Anti Virus Software - It is imperitive that you update your Anti virus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your anti virus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.

• Visit Microsoft's Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://update.microsoft.com/ regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.

• Install Spybot - Search and Destroy - Install and download Spybot - Search and Destroy with its TeaTimer option.
    This will provide real-time spyware & hijacker protection on your computer alongside your virus protection. You should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an anti virus software. A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:
    Tutorail for Spybot S & D

• Install SpywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster will add a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs. You can download it here:
    SpywareBlaster

• Install WinPatrol - As a robust security monitor, WinPatrol will alert you to hijackings, malware attacks and critical changes made to your computer without your permission. WinPatrol takes snapshot of your critical system resources and alerts you to any changes that may occur without your knowledge. You can download it from this website:
    WinPatrol
    The developer is a well-known man in the MalWare Removal business. If you really like WinPatrol think about upgrading to the PLUS version. It will give you additional features and you will only have to pay once, for your whole malware-free life.

• Install MVPS HOSTS - This custom hosts file effectively blocks a wide range of unwanted ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page counters, web bugs, and many hijackers.
    For information on how to download and install, please read this tutorial here:
    WinHelp2002
    Note: Be sure to follow the instructions to disable the DNS Client service before installing a custom hosts file.

• Use an alternative Internet Browser - Many of the exploits are directed to users of Internet Explorer. Try using a different browser instead:
    Firefox << Most used, I use this one myself.
    Opera

• Bookmark general cleanup link - It could be that your computer is becoming slower and slower. This is not always the cause of malware. Most of the times it's malware when you're computer is suddenly getting slow or doing strange. When the slowdown increases slowly, check (so now bookmark) this link for tips & tricks:
    What to do if your Computer's running slowly

• Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.

Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.

Stand Up and Be Counted!
Please take the time to tell us what you would like to be done about the people who are behind all the problems you have had. We can only get something done about this if the people that we help, like you, are prepared to complain. We have a dedicated forum for collecting these complaints called Malware Complaints. Please register there first! Then follow the instructions here:
http://images.malwarecomplaints.info/We ... general=on

>> Here << you can see how you can help us.

May your God go with you..

John.
John B.
MRU Master Emeritus

Unread postby NonSuch » January 2nd, 2009, 2:12 am

As this issue is resolved, this topic is now closed.

We are pleased we could help you resolve your computer's malware issues.

If you would like to make a comment or leave a compliment regarding the help you have received, please see Feedback for Our Helpers - Say "Thanks" Here.
NonSuch
Administrator
Administrator

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Previous

Return to Infected? Virus, malware, adware, ransomware, oh my!