Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Dope Wars virus has got rid of My Computer, My Documents...

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Dope Wars virus has got rid of My Computer, My Documents...

Unread postby shaun2985 » July 12th, 2008, 12:43 pm

Hi all, I’m a complete computer n00b (the limit of my ability being able to run HJT and post a log) so with any tech advice, please go verrrryyy slowly

Many thanks in advance

Shaun

How it happened
I was running a refurbished (purchased in Dec 07) IBM X31 Thinkpad. It worked a pleasure for 8 months until I did something stupid. I’m usually pretty prudent with watching out for viruses/malware but this time, common sense eluded me.

I was admittedly looking for a free registration key for Dope Wars (a small computer game that you can play for free but requires registration for the higher levels) and came across a site which directed me to an .exe file (fyi, this was the link – if you open it, you still need to click ‘download’ to actually get the virus but I would STRONGLY ADVISE AGAINST VISITING THIS SITE http://soft-portal08s.com/software/keyg ... key/422/0/)
. I usually know to be suspicious of this kind of thing, but as I said, I was being stupid and I downloaded and opened it.

What the virus is doing
It ran a virus which is the worst I’ve ever seen; it removed the My Documents and My Computer folders from my desktop, removed the Control Panel, Applications, Run and other toolbars from my start menu which means I can’t access System Restore. It also changed my desktop background to a skull and cross bones and when I turn the computer on, it comes up with multiple error messages saying that I have a virus on my computer (I don’t know if these are genuine or part of the virus).

Also, it came up with a 100 phoney messages from “Norton Antivirus 2008” saying that I had viruses that needed to be removed and that I should click a link. Even though I don’t have NAV 2008. The bottom-right hand corner for Windows Security (again, I don’t know if this is real or genuine) comes up with messages saying “565 viruses found on your computer”, “879 viruses found on your computer”, “1239…” etc.

What I tried to do
I had AdAware Home in a folder on the desktop and the virus seems to have missed that – I ran it and it showed up some viruses (which I deleted) but otherwise it has done nothing. I also downloaded the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program as recommended but when I tried to run it, it came up with the Error Message ARM1054,2. I don’t think downloading and running this program would have been a problem before I received this infection.

Help!
So I can’t get rid of the virus, can’t System Restore it and I don’t want to connect it to the internet in case it somehow spreads or makes it worse (so I have turned my router off). Ideally, I would like to somehow revert my hard disk so I don’t lose any data (I have some stuff backed up, but not recent files which I don’t want to get rid of).

Is there some sort of virus-cleaner USB key thing that I can buy online, plug it in, and it magically deals with all my viruses?

If I reformat and reinstall windows, is there any way to get my important files back (mostly, some important documents, pictures from my trip to Poland and some mp3s)?

Please advise!!

HJT log….
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 16:02: VIRUS ALERT!, on 12/07/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ibmpmsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tp4serv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\PkgMgr\HOTKEY\TPHKMGR.exe
C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\VPN Client\cvpnd.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\UTILIT~1\EzEjMnAp.Exe
C:\WINDOWS\AGRSMMSG.exe
C:\Program Files\IBM\Messages By IBM\ibmmessages.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RunDll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\ConnectUtilities\QCWLICON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TpScrLk.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\PROSetWired\NCS\PROSet\PRONoMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\PkgMgr\HOTKEY\TPONSCR.exe
C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\PkgMgr\HOTKEY_1\TpScrex.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lphcn7jj0evf7.exe
C:\Program Files\VAV\vav.exe
C:\Program Files\rhcj7jj0evf7\rhcj7jj0evf7.exe
C:\Program Files\antiviirus.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\WinFlip\WinFlip.exe
C:\Program Files\tmp0.exe
C:\Program Files\tmp1.exe
C:\Program Files\tmp2.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pphcn7jj0evf7.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TpKmpSVC.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ymsgr_tray.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WLLoginProxy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\usnsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SECURI~1\SymWSC.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://softwarereferral.com/jump.php?wm ... Ojg5&lid=2
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=488
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: 778670 helper - {1B12F639-CBA9-45DD-89FE-9FA7D4340716} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {3BA3028F-FD37-46BF-AD27-733734684F06} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ddcYqnOh.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: QXK Olive - {8663655C-F6D4-4520-859E-67008902A889} - C:\WINDOWS\kgqfweltmrg.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O3 - Toolbar: nqgpedlr - {80123684-A222-4009-8220-A867294D6DE8} - C:\WINDOWS\nqgpedlr.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [S3TRAY2] S3Tray2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TrackPointSrv] tp4serv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TPHOTKEY] C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\PkgMgr\HOTKEY\TPHKMGR.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TPKMAPHELPER] C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\Utilities\TpKmapAp.exe -helper
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TP4EX] tp4ex.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EZEJMNAP] C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\UTILIT~1\EzEjMnAp.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AGRSMMSG] AGRSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UC_Start] C:\IBMTools\Updater\ucstartup.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ibmmessages] C:\Program Files\IBM\Messages By IBM\ibmmessages.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSC_UserPrompt] c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\UsrPrmpt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BMMGAG] RunDll32 C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\UTILIT~1\pwrmonit.dll,StartPwrMonitor
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BMMLREF] C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\Utilities\BMMLREF.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BMMMONWND] rundll32.exe C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\UTILIT~1\BatInfEx.dll,BMMAutonomicMonitor
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BLOG] rundll32.exe C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\UTILIT~1\BatLogEx.DLL,StartBattLog
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QCWLIcon] C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\ConnectUtilities\QCWLICON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TPKBDLED] C:\WINDOWS\system32\TpScrLk.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PRONoMgrWired] C:\Program Files\Intel\PROSetWired\NCS\PROSet\PRONoMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [lphcn7jj0evf7] C:\WINDOWS\system32\lphcn7jj0evf7.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Antivirus] C:\Program Files\VAV\vav.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SMrhcj7jj0evf7] C:\Program Files\rhcj7jj0evf7\rhcj7jj0evf7.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [antiviirus] C:\Program Files\antiviirus.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SMshcg7jj0evf7] C:\Program Files\shcg7jj0evf7\shcg7jj0evf7.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ibmmessages] C:\Program Files\IBM\Messages By IBM\ibmmessages.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [EarthDesk] "C:\Program Files\XericDesign\EarthDesk\EarthDesk.exe" /silentstart
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [LClock] C:\Program Files\LClock\LClock.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Vista Sidebar] C:\Program Files\Vista Sidebar\sidebar.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ViStart] C:\Program Files\ViStart\ViStart.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ViOrb] C:\Program Files\ViOrb\ViOrb.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [VisualTooltip] C:\Program Files\VisualTooltip\VisualToolTip.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WinFlip] C:\Program Files\WinFlip\WinFlip.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Update Service] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\TEKNUM~1\update.exe /startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] "C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe" -quiet
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Antivirus] C:\Program Files\VAV\vav.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
O4 - Startup: Check For Dope Wars Updates.lnk = C:\Program Files\Dopewars\WiseUpdt.exe
O4 - Global Startup: VPN Client.lnk = ?
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O7 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System, DisableRegedit=1
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Software Installer - {D1A4DEBD-C2EE-449f-B9FB-E8409F9A0BC5} - C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\PkgMgr\PkgMgr.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O11 - Options group: [JAVA_IBM] Java (IBM)
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (YInstStarter Class) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yinsthelper.dll
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupda ... 1910835210
O20 - Winlogon Notify: ddcYqnOh - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ddcYqnOh.dll
O21 - SSODL: MicroBoot - {a8e772ee-18e0-4f3a-b28f-ce9dc2991735} - C:\WINDOWS\Resources\MicroBoot.dll
O23 - Service: Ad-Aware 2007 Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft AB - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: ACU Configuration Service (ACS) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\acs.exe
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe

O23 - Service: Cisco Systems, Inc. VPN Service (CVPND) - Cisco Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\VPN Client\cvpnd.exe
O23 - Service: ThinkPad PM Service (IBMPMSVC) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ibmpmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel(R) Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\PROSetWired\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: QCONSVC - IBM Corp. - C:\WINDOWS\System32\QCONSVC.EXE
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
O23 - Service: IBM KCU Service (TpKmpSVC) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\TpKmpSVC.exe

--
End of file - 9979 bytes

I took some photos of what exactly is wrong with it...

Start-up...

As you can see, I can't access "RUN" or "System Restore"...

I didn't install Antivirus XP 2008. I assume it is part of the virus...

Then windows seems to die and this message comes up...

This pic shows all the desktop icons NOT added by me (also, the desktop background is part of the virus)... Also note that the icons for MY DOCUMENTS and MY COMPUTER have been deleted...

shaun2985

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: Dope Wars virus has got rid of My Computer, My Documents...

Unread postby turtledove » July 13th, 2008, 3:28 am

Hello, I am turtledove,
Welcome to the forum :wave:

I will be glad to help you with your computer problems.
HijackThis and other logs take awhile to research. Please be patient with me. I know that you want your problems solved quickly, and I will work hard to help you.

As an Undergraduate, my posts will be checked first by A Teacher or Expert. Please be patient, I'll post a fix soon.
***Please bookmark or favorite this page. In case you need it as reference and an easy way to find for answering.
Please observe these rules while we work:
1. If you don't know, stop and ask! Don't keep going on.
2. Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic. Please stay at one forum for help.
3. Please continue reading posts until I give the All Clear. It is important to note this, as a clean looking HijackThis is not always a sign your system is clean.
4. Always Copy/Print out ALL Instructions.

If you can do these things, everything should go smoothly.
*Please do not run any fixes on your own, as they may interfere with our work.
*If you are going to be busy and unable to post for more than 5 days please post in this thread so we know and do not close this thread.

*Please Note: If you do not respond with a note that you need more time and you have not responded in 5 days, the thread will be closed as inactive.*

I am currently researching your log and will reply as soon as possible.
Thanks for your patience!

Please make an Uninstall list :
To access the Uninstall Manager, please do the following:

1. Start HijackThis
2. Click on the Config button
3. Click on the Misc Tools button
4. Click on the Open Uninstall Manager button.
5. Click on the Save list... button and specify where you would like to save this file. When you press Save button a notepad will open with the contents of that file.
Simply copy and paste the contents of that notepad here on your next reply.

Thank you,
Turtledove
turtledove
Retired Graduate

Unread postby turtledove » July 14th, 2008, 3:52 am

HelloShaun,

*Please Copy to Notepad ALL instructions or Print out for reference, as you will be OFF the internet during/between these fixes.*

First: **ONLY Do This If You did NOT set the Policy Restrictions shown in 06/07 entries**
Please rerun HijackThis, with ALL other Windows Closed:
Do a Scan ONLY: Place a check mark in the following:
    O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
    O7 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System, DisableRegedit=1
Now, click Fix Checked, then Exit.

Next Step:
Download SDFix and save it to your Desktop.

Double click SDFix.exe and it will extract the files to %systemdrive%
(Drive that contains the Windows Directory, typically C:\SDFix)

Please then reboot your computer in Safe Mode by doing the following :
  • Restart your computer
  • After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, tap the F8 key continually;
  • Instead of Windows loading as normal, the Advanced Options Menu should appear;
  • Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode, then press Enter.
  • Choose your usual account.
  • Open the extracted SDFix folder and double click RunThis.bat to start the script.
  • Type Y to begin the cleanup process.
  • It will remove any Trojan Services and Registry Entries that it finds then prompt you to press any key to Reboot.
  • Press any Key and it will restart the PC.
  • When the PC restarts the Fixtool will run again and complete the removal process then display Finished, press any key to end the script and load your desktop icons.
  • Once the desktop icons load the SDFix report will open on screen and also save into the SDFix folder as Report.txt
    (Report.txt will also be copied to Clipboard ready for posting back on the forum).
  • Finally paste the contents of the Report.txt back on the forum with a new HijackThis log

Please post: (Separate if needed to keep log from being cut off)
Report.txt
A New HijackThis Log
The Uninstall list from my post above
How your system is currently running

Thank you,
Turtledove
turtledove
Retired Graduate

Unread postby shaun2985 » July 14th, 2008, 7:09 am

Hi turtledove

Thanks very much for your considered reply. I am currently at work and will follow your instructions when I get home this evening :)

Thanks again!
shaun2985

Unread postby turtledove » July 16th, 2008, 3:29 pm

Hello shaun2985,
Are you still needing help, or having any problems with the instructions or tools?
Let me know how it's going please.
Thank you
TD
:)
turtledove
Retired Graduate

Unread postby Shaba » July 20th, 2008, 4:51 am

Due to Lack of Response this topic is now closed.

If you still require help, please open a new thread in the Infected? Virus, malware, adware, ransomware, oh my! forum, include a fresh FRST log, and wait for a new helper.
Shaba
Admin/Teacher Emeritus

Advertisement
Register to Remove