Welcome to the MRU
Okay, having no Internet connection creates some problems, but I don't think that they are insurmountable.
===Very Important===The instructions in this thread have been specifically designed for THIS USER'S MACHINE ONLY . You should not use these instructions to clean your machine. Doing so could cause irreparable damage to your machine. If you need assistance, please start your own thread.
Please do not
run any scans/tools or other fixes unless I ask you to. This is very important for several reasons. Here are just two of them:
1. The tools that we use are very powerful and can cause >>irreparable damage<<
to your computer if not used correctly.
2. Commercial scanners, for the most part can not
completely remove some of the more "resistant" infections. This makes it much more difficult to get rid of completely.If you are running P2P filesharing program(s).
- Many of these programs come with unwanted components bundled with them.
- To find out whether the one(s) you are using are considered safe, click here or here.
My recommendation is you uninstall it.If you decide to keep it, do not use it until your computer is cleaned.
Please note: Even if you are using a "safe" P2P program, it is only the program that is safe. You will be sharing files from uncertified sources, and these are often infected. The bad guys use P2P filesharing as a major conduit to spread their wares.
If you are running any cracked/pirated
software, uninstall it before proceeding. Many helpers -- myself included -- will not
assist you if you are using such software.
Remember, we are in this process together. We must cooperate with each other or the fix will surely fail. If, at any time, there is something you don't understand or a scan that you cannot run -- Do not
skip the step or scan.. Please take a moment to stop and ASK
! Always remember -- there is no such thing as a stupid question.
That being said, let's get started.
Have a friend download HJTInstall.exe
. have them burn it to a CD. Insert the CD containing HJTInstall.exe
into the CD drive on your computer. Double-click the My Computer
icon on your desktop. Double-click the drive containing the CD you inserted (usually D:
- Copy HJTInstall.exe.
- Right-click on any open area on your desktop.
- Click "Paste". This will place the HijackThis setup icon (HJTInstall.exe) on your desktop.
- Double click the HJTInstall.exe icon on your desktop.
- Click Install.
- By default program will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis.
- HijackThis (HJT) will launch.
- Close any/all browsers, messenger, mediaplayer, Office and mail client windows and applications.
- Click Do a system scan and save a logfile
- When the scan is finished, a Notepad window will open containing the contents.
- Save it to your desktop as "HJT log.txt".
- Do Not click the AnalyzeThis button.
- Using a blank CD or floppy disk, transfer HJT log.txt to a computer with Internet access and return to this thread.
- Open HJT log.txt using Notepad (Not Word or WordPad).
- Hit Ctrl+a to select all of the logs contents.
- Hit Ctrl+c to copy the logs contents.
- In this board.
- Click Reply.
- Hit Ctrl+v to paste the log into the Message body box..
- DO NOT have HijackThis fix anything yet. (Most of what it finds will be harmless or even essential.)
- Make certain your post shows the entire log, please.
: For subsequent HijackThis scans:
Double click the HijackThis shortcut
on your desktop.
I'll take a look at your log and get back to you with my recommendations ASAP.