Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Need help removing Malware Alarm

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Need help removing Malware Alarm

Unread postby pallichair1 » March 26th, 2008, 6:16 pm

My mother-in-law's computer has a program called Malware Alarm installed that I can't seem to remove. I tried a number of things and found my way to this site. The Hijaak This log is copied below. THANK YOU VERY MUCH for any assistance,

JH

====================

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 11:56:35 PM, on 3/26/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTray.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\windows\system32\jownw64q.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\User\LOCALS~1\Temp\RtkBtMnt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lcntpkwd.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\Ad-Aware2007.exe
C:\Program Files\AutoRunManager\autoruns.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\explorer.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe, explorer.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxtray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxhkcmd] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxpers] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AzMixerSel] C:\Program Files\Realtek\InstallShield\AzMixerSel.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BluetoothAuthenticationAgent] rundll32.exe bthprops.cpl,,BluetoothAuthenticationAgent
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [{35-5D-D7-72-DW}] C:\windows\system32\jownw64q.exe DWram
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Barsaka] explorer.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ExploreUpdSched] C:\WINDOWS\system32\lcntpkwd.exe DWram
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BM03b06e41] Rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\system32\vekkoqgf.dll",s
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SVCHOST.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\svchost.exe
O4 - Startup: AutorunsDisabled
O4 - Startup: Deewoo.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\system32\lcntpkwd.exe
O4 - Startup: DW_Start.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\system32\jownw64q.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O23 - Service: Ad-Aware 2007 Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus Definition Watcher (DefWatch) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: SAVRoam (SavRoam) - symantec - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\SavRoam.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
O24 - Desktop Component 0: (no name) - (no file)

--
End of file - 5168 bytes
pallichair1

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Re: Need help removing Malware Alarm

Unread postby Simon V. » March 28th, 2008, 5:29 pm

Hi,

I'm afraid I have unpleasant news for you. You have been infected by Troj/Zapchas-V. This infection allows outsiders complete access to every keystroke, account, and password you use while on this machine.

IF this computer has been used for any kind of important data, my best recommendation is to disconnect from the internet, reformat the entire drive and reinstall your operating system and applications.

We can likely clean the infected files off the computer, and if you wish we will attempt to do so, but we cannot be sure that the infection didn't do something to your system to reduce the system security. If that's the case, you could be subject to another attack or takeover as soon as you reconnect to the internet, even after removal of the infection.

The decision whether to reformat or not should be based on what you use the computer for. If the computer has been used for any important data, you are strongly advised to do the following, immediately:

• Disconnect the infected computer from the internet and from any networked computers until the computer can be cleaned.
  • Back up all important data on the machine. Do not back up any applications (programs) or executable files (.dll, .exe, .scr, .bat, .cmd, .vbs, .sys). Those should be reinstalled from the original CD's or websites.
  • If you have used this computer for shopping, banking, or any transactions relating to your financial well being, call all of your banks, credit card companies and financial institutions, informing them that you may be a victim of identity theft, and to put a watch on your accounts or change all your account numbers.
  • From a clean computer, change ALL your online passwords - for ISP login, email, banks, financial accounts, PayPal, eBay, online companies, and any online forums or groups you belong to.
  • DO NOT change passwords or do any transactions while using the infected computer because the attacker will get the new password and transaction information.
  • Take any other steps you think appropriate for an attempted identity theft.

To help you understand more, please take some time to read the following articles:

What are Remote Access Trojans and why are they dangerous
How do I respond to a possible identity theft and how do I prevent it
When should do a reformat and reinstallation of my OS
Where to backup your files
How to backup your files in Windows XP
Restoring your backups

In your next reply, let me know how you want to proceed.
Simon V.
MRU Emeritus
MRU Emeritus

Unread postby pallichair1 » March 31st, 2008, 10:58 am

Simon,

Thanks for your response. As noted, the affected computer belongs to my mother in law, so the decision on how to proceed will be hers. I will contact her when I can and post the reply here. My guess is she will reformat, but will have to see.

Thanks again,

Jonathan
pallichair1

Unread postby NonSuch » April 7th, 2008, 11:58 pm

Due to Lack of Activity this topic is now closed.

If you still require help, please open a new thread in the Infected? Virus, malware, adware, ransomware, oh my! forum, include a fresh FRST log, and wait for a new helper.
NonSuch
Administrator
Administrator

Advertisement
Register to Remove