Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Need Help removing "adware-zeno"

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Re: Need Help removing "adware-zeno"

Unread postby RDSTILL » November 15th, 2007, 12:03 am

another question: in your PM to me, you recommended not having more than one virus protection program because they compete for resources which reduces the protection. will the programs you recommended downloading on your last post have this aforementioned competition with my Mcafee?
RDSTILL

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby RDSTILL » November 15th, 2007, 12:16 am

in one of your recent posts, you asked me to report behavior of the pc, and i have not yet responded:

CTRL ALT DEL now seems to be fixed; it now pulls up my task manager.

the only thing that still seems to not be functioning properly is a program i normally use to view files from my digital camera: "dell image expert". If i right click on the picture i want to view (stored on my PC, not the camera), and go down to "open with", i get about 6 different choices of applications for which to view the picture file. I can open the picture with any of them (windows viewer, paint, IE, etc.), however, when i attempt to open them with dell image expert, i get "windows cannot find [the name of the file here]" and then an error box behind that one saying "error opening database: 2000". This has been happening since the day of the infection.
RDSTILL

Unread postby Bob4 » November 15th, 2007, 7:43 am

Running the OTmoveit "cleanup" portion Should take care of smitfraud. If not the entire folder can be deleted with all it's contents.
Bob4
MRU Master
MRU Master

Unread postby RDSTILL » November 15th, 2007, 11:09 am

thank you for your reply on the smitfraud question. did you see my two other previous posts concerning the application not running correctly and my question concerning conflicting virus protection programs?
RDSTILL

Unread postby Bob4 » November 15th, 2007, 4:50 pm

"dell image expert"
A quick search has shown me people have been looking for an answer for that error since 2004. My best suggestion is to uninstall and reinstall the software. If that doesn't help and you feel you have to use this software I would contact Dell on this issue.

The anti virus programs I recommended in replying to your PM will in fact not work well with McAFee installed. Remember I said you cannot run 2 anti Virus programs together. You may of course use 1 of the firewalls I recommended. They can run with an anti Virus program. In fact I urge you to use one of the ones I recommended.

I hope I got all the questions this time. If not feel free to ask away.
Bob4
MRU Master
MRU Master

Unread postby RDSTILL » November 16th, 2007, 2:40 am

I will try the uninstall direction on the Dell Expert. thanks. let me ask you another question. Back on my other computer i used to have years ago before this one, i had a uninstaller program on it. It was simply called "Uninstaller". (Something I bought at a local Office Depot I think). Anyway, it was a really nice program because if you wanted to uninstall something, it would first locate the program and kill it, then locate all of the other little files programs bury on your hard drive during the initial installation, updates, etc, and kill all of them too. To me something like that is great, because if I myself go and try to just delete the folder the app is in, i most likely havent gotten all of the little lingering files it leaves behind uninstalled, taking up needed kb. Any i'm not tech saavy enough to go and locate them all manually. Do you know of any good freeware uninstaller programs out there that are legit and do a good job? Thanks. If not do you know of another forum on this subject I could check out?
RDSTILL

Unread postby Bob4 » November 16th, 2007, 3:20 am

You can try either of these 2 programs.
OR
Google free uninstall programs.
Be carefull of what you get from where though. ;)

http://www.soft32.com/download_9082.html

http://www.programurl.com/uninstall-tool.htm
Bob4
MRU Master
MRU Master

Unread postby RDSTILL » November 21st, 2007, 8:36 pm

bob - i don't know if this is in your area of expertise, but i am having a lingering problem with my computer since fixing the trojan issue. my virtual memory on my computer is constantly running at about 85%, even though i only have maybe 2 - 3 programs open. prior to getting the virus, my computer ran pretty fast, even with many programs open at one time. now, i get constant virtual memory warnings from the computer; never once saw that before i got the virus. my computer runs a 3 gig processor with 512 MB of RAM - not a whole heck of alot of RAM, but plently for my purposes. in some earlier posts, i mentioned to you trouble i was having with the computer running very slowly since removing the trojan, and that has not yet cleared up. since my last post, i have linked that slowness issue to the RAM problem. If this is not something you can help me troubleshoot, can you let me know of a forum that i might be able to discuss with someone?
RDSTILL

Unread postby Bob4 » November 21st, 2007, 9:01 pm

Not really my area.

Please post 1 more HJT log for me so I can make sure nothing has changed.

You can check at the 2 forums I recommended earlier for the safe mode issue.
They have lots of good help at both of them.

You can download Process explorer

Extract it to a folder on your desktop.
Run the program and see if you can figure out which processes are slowing you down.
It's fairly simple to use.
Bob4
MRU Master
MRU Master

Unread postby RDSTILL » November 21st, 2007, 9:20 pm

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 7:16:06 PM, on 11/21/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16544)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe
C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\6172\SiteAdv.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\Diagnostics\diagent.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ATKKBService.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcmscsvc.exe
c:\program files\common files\mcafee\mna\mcnasvc.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mcproxy\mcproxy.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\6172\SAService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcsysmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Robert Still\My Documents\HiJackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = localhost
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {089FD14D-132B-48FC-8861-0048AE113215} - C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\6172\SiteAdv.dll
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: scriptproxy - {7DB2D5A0-7241-4E79-B68D-6309F01C5231} - C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan\scriptsn.dll
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee SiteAdvisor - {0BF43445-2F28-4351-9252-17FE6E806AA0} - C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\6172\SiteAdv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: SiteHound - {73F7F495-A325-4C52-BE48-5F97FA511E89} - C:\Program Files\FireTrust\SiteHound\SiteHound.dll (file missing)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIModeChange] Ati2mdxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [diagent] "C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\Diagnostics\diagent.exe" startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiteAdvisor] C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\6172\SiteAdv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mcagent_exe] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe /runkey
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!AVG Anti-Spyware] "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe" /minimized
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - Startup: PowerReg Scheduler V3.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {11316B13-33F0-4C9F-BD55-09994CCFA8EB} - C:\Program Files\FireTrust\SiteHound\SiteHound.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {41F17733-B041-4099-A042-B518BB6A408C} - http://a1540.g.akamai.net/7/1540/52/200 ... taller.exe
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://bin.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mci ... insctl.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftup ... 7392214073
O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/share ... cgdmgr.cab
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATK Keyboard Service (ATKKeyboardService) - ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. - C:\WINDOWS\ATKKBService.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - GRISOFT s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
O23 - Service: Canon Camera Access Library 8 (CCALib8) - Canon Inc. - C:\Program Files\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
O23 - Service: DSBrokerService - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\DellSupport\brkrsvc.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1150\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: McAfee Services (mcmscsvc) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcmscsvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Network Agent (McNASvc) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\program files\common files\mcafee\mna\mcnasvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Scanner (McODS) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcods.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Proxy Service (McProxy) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mcproxy\mcproxy.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Real-time Scanner (McShield) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SystemGuards (McSysmon) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcsysmon.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel(R) Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: SiteAdvisor Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\6172\SAService.exe
O23 - Service: Viewpoint Manager Service - Viewpoint Corporation - C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe

--
End of file - 10100 bytes
RDSTILL

Unread postby Bob4 » November 21st, 2007, 9:54 pm

Your Log is still clean.
Heres a few things I would do to help with speed issues. I would do all of these if this were my machine.
All these programs running at startup just isn't necessary, their eating up resources.
You can start them your self when you need them. With only 512 MBs of ram your better off limiting multi tasking. ;)

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime

nwiz.exe is a part of NVidia's Nview features installable alongside its graphics hardware products. This application will give the user access to additional features which allow the configuration of up to 32 monitors on a host or to expand the desktop across many monitors. This program is not required to start automatically as you can start it manually if you need it. It is advised that you disable this program so that it does not take up necessary resources. It may be worthwhile to fix it with HijackThis. This is the item to fix in HijackThis:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install

Open AVG Anti-Spyware by double-clicking the multi-colored box emblazoned with an 'S' in the system tray.
In the 'Resident Shield' section, toggle the AVG Anti-Spyware active protection 'off' by clicking 'Change state' which will then change the protection status to 'inactive'.

Just run this program if you need it. It can be a bit hard on older machines. In your case I might consider uninstalling it.

You have jusched.exe running at Startup. It checks with Sun's Java updates site to see if newer Java versions are available. This program is not required to start automatically. You can do this manually by visiting http://java.sun.com or just run the Java Plug-In Control Panel. It is advised that you disable this program so that it does not take up necessary resources. It may be worthwhile to fix it with HijackThis. This is the item to fix in HijackThis:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe

I see that Viewpoint is installed. Viewpoint, Viewpoint Manager, Viewpoint Media Player are Viewpoint components which are installed as a side effect of installing other software, most notably AOL and AOL Instant Messenger (AIM). Viewpoint Manager is responsible for managing and updating Viewpoint Media Player’s components. You can disable this using the Viewpoint Manager Control Panel found in the Windows Control Panel menu. By selecting Disable auto-updating for the Viewpoint Manager -- the player will no longer attempt to check for updates. Anything that is installed without your consent is suspect. Read what Viewpoint says and make your own decision.
To provide a satisfying consumer experience and to operate effectively, the Viewpoint Media Player periodically sends information to servers at Viewpoint. Each installation of the Viewpoint Media Player is identifiable to Viewpoint via a Customer Unique Identifier (CUID), an alphanumeric identifier embedded in the Viewpoint Media Player. The Viewpoint Media Player randomly generates the CUID during installation and uses it to indicate a unique installation of the product. A CUID is never connected to a user's name, email address, or other personal contact information. CUIDs are used for the sole purpose of filtering redundant information. Each of these information exchanges occurs anonymously.

Viewpoint Manager is considered as foistware instead of malware since it is installed without user's approval but doesn't spy or do anything "bad". This may change, read Viewpoint to Plunge Into Adware.
I recommend that you remove the Viewpoint products; however, decide for yourself. To uninstall the the Viewpoint components (Viewpoint, Viewpoint Manager, Viewpoint Media Player):
  1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
  2. In Control Panel, double-click Add or Remove Programs.
  3. In Add or Remove Programs, highlight >>Viewpoint component<< , click Remove.
  4. Do the same for each Viewpoint component.
This is the item to fix in HijackThis.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ViewMgr] C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe

for connected iPod devices. This program is not required to start automatically as you can start it manually if you need it.
It is advised that you disable this program so that it does not take up necessary resources. It may be worthwhile to fix it with HijackThis.
This is the item to fix in HijackThis:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe

Defragment your machine.

click start

click my computer.

right click on Local disk C

select properties

select tools

select Defragment.

This will take a while if it hasn't been done in a while.
So go to bed and check it in the morning. :lol:

Heres some advise from an expert among experts in these forums on slow computers

I hope some of this helps.
Bob4
MRU Master
MRU Master

Unread postby RDSTILL » November 22nd, 2007, 3:11 am

That helped majorly! especially the "slow computers" website you linked me to. i disabled alot of startup stuff and services in my msconfig, and now my "PF Usage" in the task manager is down to like 30% now, down from about 85% earlier. Everything is running noticeably faster. I think it was just all the new "stuff" we installed on there: Spybot, AVG, etc.

PS - is there anyway to set Spybot to not run all of the time? I would like to keep it installed so i can do a scan as needed, but not have it running all the time.
RDSTILL

Unread postby Bob4 » November 22nd, 2007, 7:40 am

Please when using msconfig be sure your anti virus and firewall if applicable ALWAYS start up !

To disable SpybotSD TeaTimer:
Open Spybot and click on Mode and check Advanced Mode
Check yes to next window.
Click on Tools in bottom left hand corner.
Click on System Startup icon.
Uncheck Teatimer box.
Click Allow Change box.
Bob4
MRU Master
MRU Master

Unread postby 'KotaGuy » December 14th, 2007, 10:04 am